Asus Sabertooth x58 LGA1366 Mobo
Intel Core i7-950
Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
12gigs G.Skill Ripjaws Triple Channel 1333
MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr
2 WD Caviar Black 640GB HD
1 Asus DVD R/W
Windows 7 64 bit

FYI, this is my first computer build. I spent a few hours setting it up, making sure I was doing things correctly. I got it all together, it POSTs fine and I install Windows 7. Windows 7 installs without a hitch and I install the drivers for the video card.

Everything seems fine. I figured I'd leave the system on idle for a bit, and go into another room to take a break. Next thing I know, the system is rebooting itself, and powering back up. It displayed the Windows Hardware recent change failure yadda yadda screen, and would reboot. I turned it off, let it sit, and powered it back up. It would show this same screen for a few seconds and then restart again. So I decide to go into BIOS at next boot, and it only gives me about 10 seconds and it reboots again. I double check all of the connections and try again, same problem. At this point I go to sleep.

Today, I power it up and it only stays on for about 2 seconds. Then it does not reboot, just stays off.

I breadboard the mobo to make sure it is not shorting out. Same problem.

I reset CMOS and remove the battery. No change.

I removed the hard drives and DVD drive, sometimes it would power up long enough and get the correct beeps for missing Boot Device.

I remove the RAM and get the correct beeps for missing RAM.

I remove the video card, and get the correct beeps for no VGA.

I tested the Power supply with a piece of coated wire (paper clip test) and it runs fine.

I remove the Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler and reseat the CPU and clean/reapply thermal paste.
Upon re-inspection of CPU/pins on mobo, I do not see any bent pins or anything out of place. My CPU fan turns on and runs every time.

After reseating the CPU, I can get to the Windows error screen, but it still powers down before I can do anything there, or in the BIOS.

I am at a loss of what to do. Is my motherboard dead? Is my CPU fried? I don't have another LGA1366 board to test it in. Could my PSU be faulty even though it passed the "paper clip test"? I'm open to any suggestions/tips, as I don't know what to do next. I don't feel comfortable RMAing anything as of yet bc I don't know what exactly is wrong. Thank you for any help!

jerryskids

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hi daship,

I went to Radio Shack and bought a digital multimeter.
Plugged a wire piece into the green wire/black ground on the 24-pin mobo connector.
The PSU turns on and fan runs. Turned on the multimeter to 20vDC mode.
I then checked the orange, red, and yellow wires on this connector. All oranges were around 3.3, all reds around 5 and all yellows around 12.

I checked a molex 4-pin connector and those seemed to have correct voltage as well.

I am assuming that this power supply is working correctly. I would like to check it under load, but today, when turning the power supply on and testing the breadboard, I don't get any response beyond a half second fan startup and it goes out. Is this leaning towards a motherboard problem?