Sign in with
Your question

Pentium 4 3.2 GHz Cooler

Last response: in CPUs
May 29, 2011 2:04:33 AM

Hello, I have a Pentium 3.2 GHz CPU, which is located in a LGA 478 socket motherboard. My other parts are the following: Corsair 400 W PSU, Stock Cooler, ECS PM800-M2 M/B, AGP ATi 4650, Diamond Sound Card, Rosewill Ethernet NIC, 2GB DDR Ram, NZXT Apollo. My processor runs at 55 C at idle, so it is obviously in need of better cooling. I will accept any reasonably priced cooler at this point. Thank you in advance, and don't tell me to upgrade to a new machine, as I already have an i7 920 in my gaming desktop and an i7 720qm in my laptop.

More about : pentium ghz cooler

a b à CPUs
May 29, 2011 2:36:44 AM

Load temps?
m
l
May 29, 2011 3:11:24 AM

I am sorry, but I don't know of any applications that can test this. The computer is old and if you can recommend me a program to test my temps, I will post it.
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2011 3:39:51 AM

Most Scythe Coolers fit 478, Do not know what will fit your case. The Mugen 2 Rev B is about $40.
Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120 Universal. about the same.
Zalman 7000 and 7000B but not 7000C I believe. all AL is prefered to AL/CU for lightness.

m
l
May 29, 2011 3:48:11 AM

Zodiac, i have a Pentium 4 EE 3.2GHz (google SL7AA thats the one i got), overclocked to 3.5GHz on stock cooling running at around 35°C with stock cooler, how does that happen to you?

I use EVEREST, good program. Another good program is PC Wizard by CPUID which i also have. Easy and simple downloads that give ALOT of overall info about your computer, and yes even temperature! Things may seem a little rough and complicated at first but they are easy to get used to after a little while.

I used to cool my P4 3.0GHz CPU that was damaged(broken pins) with a cheap stock cooler i bought from a local computer store, i used Smart Fan Target Temp (something like that in BIOS) and my CPU was around 35-40°C always.

Bottom line, theres no need to invest in buying expensive coolers for an older computer when cheaper ones do the job and leave money for a Bic Mac or a McDouble or even a McChicken.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
May 29, 2011 4:21:58 AM

My fave for Pentium 4s is the Zalman 9500. All copper so it does a great job. Just need to make sure to use decent thermal paste and it should keep it cool enough.
m
l
May 29, 2011 4:31:44 AM

Get some good thermal paste too if you can, its important that you have good quality thermal paste. I was a noob back then with computers and i bought some cheap thermal compound at a local store and it surprizingly works great(i got lucky). N even before that i used this adhesive that bonds various objects that have broken, and the CPU idled at around 60°C. I never knew LOL.
m
l
!