Worth upgrading from phenom 965 @ 4.0ghz?

blakmumba

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Hi, at the moment im running AMD PhenomII x4 965 be @ 4.0ghz on a Asus Crosshair IV Formula motherboard and iv no complaints what-so-ever. I/family use my rig mostly for web browsing,music,movies and occasional gaming (steam games). Iv read a great loads of good reviews on the i7 2600k processor and would just like to know if its really worth it for me to upgrade to that processor for extra speed, gaming etc or if im just being plain and utter stupid.
All help and advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

What kind of video card are you using?

My advice is unless your PC is producing choppy, stuttering gameplay, you don't need to upgrade anything. Ask yourself if the PC's doing everything you want it to well. If it is, you don't need anything.

There are even better processors that will be released later this year. Things will follow that and so on.

Until you get to a point where your machine is not doing what you want it to at an acceptable level, you really don't need to upgrade.

blakmumba

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Many thanx for all the replies, Im was running 2x HD4870x2's and now im running a GTX480, so can i presume im ok with everything? And was it a wise decision to move graphic cards?

Once again many thanx

well ...

The Asus Crosshair IV Formula is a 'Crossfire' motherboard, meaning that you may combine multiple ATI/AMD video cards. The GTX480 is an 'SLI' card and multiple combinations will not work.

If possible, an HD6970 (or HD6950 2GB 'reference card') would be a better choice -- and would consume 80-100w less than the GTX480.

blakmumba

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Hi edgaraslt, what it was that I got the GTX480 for £150 of my cousin and was planning on running 2 GTX480's but at the moment carnt afford another 1 & plus the gtx480 was dx11. Iv still got my 2 4870x2's so do you think I should switch back. Do you think I would miss out alot on DX11 stuff?

Thanx again

TRENDING THREADS