Your question

I need some advice for an old processor

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
May 29, 2011 3:14:09 AM

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this but I've got a problem with a processor and I'd like someone to point me in the right direction.

The motherboard is an ASUS CUV4X (Socket 370 / Apollo Pro 133Z). For years it's been running a Pentium III 733 MHz Coppermine without any problems. I decided to upgrade the processor last month to a modified Pentium III 1.4 GHz Tualatin. Along with the processor, I bought a new heatsink/fan and 2 sticks of 512MB RAM.

The problem is that the highest FSB I can run it at is 115MHz. Anything higher and Windows fails to start. The system will hang after listing PCI Devices.

I feel like I've troubleshooted almost everything: BIOS is the latest beta version, loaded setup defaults, heatsink/fan are properly seated, took out everything except video card and a stick of RAM, tested RAM with memtest86, tried changing countless different BIOS settings, reset CMOS, etc. and I've been getting some guidance from the seller to no avail.

I suppose I can run it at FSB 115MHz, but I'd like to understand why it's not running at the rated speed. Any help would be truly appreciated.

More about : advice processor

a b à CPUs
June 2, 2011 8:35:57 AM

ind3x said:
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this but I've got a problem with a processor and I'd like someone to point me in the right direction.

The motherboard is an ASUS CUV4X (Socket 370 / Apollo Pro 133Z). For years it's been running a Pentium III 733 MHz Coppermine without any problems. I decided to upgrade the processor last month to a modified Pentium III 1.4 GHz Tualatin. Along with the processor, I bought a new heatsink/fan and 2 sticks of 512MB RAM.

The problem is that the highest FSB I can run it at is 115MHz. Anything higher and Windows fails to start. The system will hang after listing PCI Devices.

I feel like I've troubleshooted almost everything: BIOS is the latest beta version, loaded setup defaults, heatsink/fan are properly seated, took out everything except video card and a stick of RAM, tested RAM with memtest86, tried changing countless different BIOS settings, reset CMOS, etc. and I've been getting some guidance from the seller to no avail.

I suppose I can run it at FSB 115MHz, but I'd like to understand why it's not running at the rated speed. Any help would be truly appreciated.

my gosh!! a p3!! that is antique over there!! Did u check if the bios(even if its the latest) supports the 1.4ghz cpu or not??? is the RAM rated at 100Mhz or 133.33Mhz btw??
June 4, 2011 4:34:35 AM

Hey $hawn,

Thanks for replying. The latest BIOS for the CUV4X has a microcode update for Tualatin processors. As far as I'm aware it should support the 1.4GHz CPU. The RAM is rated at 133MHz. I'm currently running the CPU at FSB 105MHz with System/SDRAM Frequency Ratio set at 3/4. The RAM is running at 133MHz.

System is running fine at 1.1GHz which is noticeably better than the old P3 733MHz I had. I still can't figure out why I need to underclock the Tualatin to get Windows running. Was this common for this specific processor?
Related resources
a c 91 à CPUs
June 4, 2011 5:32:18 AM

old processors...i remember back in the day you used to have to set CPU voltage manually, i believe this processor should detect it automatically though.....did you reset BIOS to defaults, save and exit? you should always do that after a BIOS update, it can fix many issues, i have experienced problems with this first hand.
June 4, 2011 6:27:40 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
old processors...i remember back in the day you used to have to set CPU voltage manually, i believe this processor should detect it automatically though.....did you reset BIOS to defaults, save and exit? you should always do that after a BIOS update, it can fix many issues, i have experienced problems with this first hand.

I did reset BIOS to defaults after the update. The CPU Vcore defaults to 1.45V with the option to change it as high as 1.7V. I've tried using different voltages with no luck so far. I'm starting to think it might just be a faulty CPU. Not sure what else to troubleshoot.
a c 480 à CPUs
June 4, 2011 6:40:43 PM

It could be a faulty CPU due to the age.

My other concern with the CPU is that it has been modified.
!