Potential hardware issue, need help

I recently built a system with the following specs:

CASE: Rosewill THOR Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case
MOBO: ASUS P8P67 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (discontinued.. see note later)
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA1155 95W
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V/EPS12V
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2*4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (1.5V)
GRAPHICS: ASUS ENGTS450 DC OC/DI/1GD5 (GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi))
BOOT DRIVE: Crucial RealSSD C300 (64GB SATA III SSD)
STORAGE DRIVE: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB HDD

Everything's running at stock settings (except the video card which was factory overclocked).

Here's the issue: throughout the life of the system (i.e. the past month), at random times the entire system will lock up regardless of what I'm doing. It happens roughly once a day. When it locks up, nothing responds--the mouse won't move, and CTRL+ALT+DEL and ALT+F4 do nothing. If it occurs while the monitor is asleep, it can't be woken up with the mouse/keyboard. It happens in both Windows (7 Professional) and Linux (Ubuntu 10.10), so I'm assuming it isn't driver-related.

Here's what I've tried so far. I've been running CoreTemp, and temperatures have hovered around 40C under normal load. Under higher load, they peaked at about 55C. I ran Memtest for a full pass and got no errors. I updated the BIOS and several drivers (SATA, USB, Audio, etc), and it hasn't frozen up since (although it's only been a day...) BUT now I have another problem:

While rebooting after these updates, the computer would start up, then shut down, then start up again and run for ~10 sec, then shut down, and repeat this about 3-4 times before anything was displayed on the screen. I thought it was related to the BIOS update, but now any time I turn on my computer, it turns off after ~5 seconds, pauses for a couple seconds, then powers on successfully.

I know my motherboard has been recalled for an issue related to its SATA 3Gb/s controllers, but according to Intel and ASUS, the ports will degrade over the course of several years. They didn't mention anything about freezing. Also, all of my devices are plugged into the SATA 6Gb/s ports, so they shouldn't be affected by the chipset issue.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: My system just froze up again, and this time when it happened I heard a sound come from inside the computer (almost like a creaking noise) then it locked up completely. I'm not 100% certain, but it sounded like it came from the front of the case where my SSD, HDD, and DVD drives are.

I forced it to shut down, then when I powered it back up it immediately shut back down. It started up normally after a few moments, and here I am... What is going on??
2 answers Last reply
More about potential hardware issue help
  1. You ruled out most things. I would suspect the power supply.
  2. Is there any way to diagnose a power supply problem without switching out the power supply? I don't have another PSU available. (I don't have a digital multimeter either, so manually checking things isn't an option).
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems Product