Wont load a single site

richjim

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hi, I just got comcast, so I have that Motorola modem. I went ahead and bought a Netgear WNR 2000 router and have 2 pcs hooked up to it. The first day I had it it worked fine, but its ever since there it hasnt let me load www.dell.com

It works fine for every single other website and any other internet activity, except for Dell lol. Its been several days now, I have checked the site on other computers and it works. It doesn't work on any computer hooked up to this router... BUT it does work if I have my pc hooked up just to the modem.

I have reset/unplugged/restarted all the computers/devices and it still doesn't work

Its really aggrevating, specially since I want to customize an alienware laptop and the site wont load -_-'

I did some research and it might be that DNS thing but I dont know anything about that, plz help. TY

G

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

You might also have a look at the router's user setup screens (see literature which came with router for how) and go to the Diagnostics menu which should cover DNS.

devonh

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
you are probably right it is a DNS problem. allow me to elaborate. DNS stands for domain naming service. It is a protocol used in networking in order to translate an IP address into a name so instead of having to remember somthing like 24.117.56.2 you can instead be able to locate it by using thisdomain.com. If you do not know what an IP address is then allow me to explain that as well. IP stands for Internet Protocol. On the most basic level it allows each node on the network to communicate with each other. now that i have explained how this works, in your web browser's address bar copy and paste the following IP address; 143.166.83.38 and tell me if it takes you to Dell. If you are able to connect to dell via its IP address the easiest solution to this problem would to be just to save it in your favorites as the ip address and not the domain name that is if every other website works for you and it is dell that is the only one with this problem.

richjim

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

You might also have a look at the router's user setup screens (see literature which came with router for how) and go to the Diagnostics menu which should cover DNS.

Both Version 4 and 6 are on obtain IP automatically. I went to the setup for the router (192.168.1.1) - and DNS is set up automatically there as well, although I didnt find a "diagnostics" option.

Thank you for explaining those to me. I tried dell's IP and it still does not load (on any browser) =( although, I should mention that the DELL page did load at the begging when I had barely gotten the router, but it has failed to load ever since then.

Do you think my problem will be solved If I return the router and exchange it, perhaps?

G

"I went to the setup for the router (192.168.1.1) - and DNS is set up automatically there as well, although I didnt find a "diagnostics" option."

Your Netgear router is newer than mine so the menus aren't identical.

If the router is faulty it's an oddly selective fault.

If the system works otherwise, frankly I'd just hook straight to the modem when going to Dell.