Heatsink Retention Mechanism

I need to replace my CPU Heatsink retention mechanism, can someone help me
remove the old one and install the new one please.

It depends! What is the type of processor???

"manu08" <manu08@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to replace my CPU Heatsink retention mechanism, can someone help me
> remove the old one and install the new one please.

Its a P4 processor 3.0Ghz with HT. It has a 478 socket. Is that sufficient
amount of information. Oh ya and the motherboard is Intel D875PBZ.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> It depends! What is the type of processor???
>

> "manu08" <manu08@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need to replace my CPU Heatsink retention mechanism, can someone help me
> > remove the old one and install the new one please.

bar

Intructions to remove and replace heatsink will be in the user guide or
motherboard manual.

If you don't have a manual, open the case and look at the brand, make and
model then search for one at the manufacturer's web pages.

Most simply lever off: however some effort is required and if not done
safely you can damage the Mobo.

"manu08" wrote:

> Its a P4 processor 3.0Ghz with HT. It has a 478 socket. Is that sufficient
> amount of information. Oh ya and the motherboard is Intel D875PBZ.
>
> "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
>
> > It depends! What is the type of processor???
> >

> > "manu08" <manu08@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I need to replace my CPU Heatsink retention mechanism, can someone help me
> > > remove the old one and install the new one please.

Yes! Since P3, AMD, Athlon, AMD64 and the newer P4s all use different
heatsinks. I sorry but I never had to replace the backets but someone now
should be able to help.

> Its a P4 processor 3.0Ghz with HT. It has a 478 socket. Is that sufficient
> amount of information. Oh ya and the motherboard is Intel D875PBZ.
>
> "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
>
>> It depends! What is the type of processor???
>>

>> "manu08" <manu08@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I need to replace my CPU Heatsink retention mechanism, can someone help
>> >me
>> > remove the old one and install the new one please.

IMO. I always remove the motherboard from the case whenever work needs to
be done on cpu, etc. I've found that it's pretty easy to tear things up
when fiddling around with it still connected. It's a pain in the butt,
taking everything apart and putting it back together again, but if you avoid
damaging the motherboard then it was worth it. Plus, you can re-seat all
connections and do it abit of cleaning while you at it.

manu08 wrote:

> I need to replace my CPU Heatsink retention mechanism, can someone help me
> remove the old one and install the new one please.

Why? This is not an easy operation and removing the
heatsink improperly may result in irreparable damage
to the CPU and/or its Socket-478 or the motherboard.
Even if the heatsink is removed, all renmants of the
thermal paste or pad needs to be carefully removed
from the CPU with isopropyl alcohol or acetone before
the replacement heatsink can be installed.

If one reason for replacing the CPU heatsink is due
to over-heating, check for proper clearances for air
in/around the CPU area, and also for good ventilation
or airflow through the entire computer chassis. If it
is just the fan that needs to be replaced, fans can be
replaced without having to unmount the heatsink.

margopapas

Distinguished
May 29, 2011

I need to replace my CPU Heatsink retention mechanism, can someone help me
remove the old one and install the new one please.

I need to do the same thing. I have a Pentium-4 478-pin (Dell MoBo) where the CPU/Cooler retention mechanism (plastic clip-bracket broke) can no longer hold the Cooler in-place. Therefore it must be replaced. I am assuming that this plastic square-like retention mechanism can be unscrewed from the MoBo and replaced with a new part.
Have you done this succesfully ? Let me know:
margopapas@yahoo.com
Thanks a lot.

This topic has been moved from the section Windows XP to section CPU & Components by Grumpy9117