Sign in with
Your question

Computer game freezes and stutters

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2011 10:00:03 PM

Hello,

I have been having a pretty significant problem with my first build. This computer was primarily designed to play computer games but I've been having freezes and stutters in game. The stutters are pretty self explanatory but the freezes are odd. The game just stops but I can minimize it and pop it back up and it will run like nothing happened. I've taken a look around but nothing seems to really give me an answer. All I found was a vague reference that something to do with my video card could be running too fast and causing a stall.

Computer

Processor: i7 2600k
Mother board: Asus P8P67 Deluxe (no link as they are being recalled due to faulty usb 2 controller issue)
Graphics Card: MSI N570GTX
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel
SDD: Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB SATA III SSD
HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB SATA2 7200RPM
PSU: Silverstone Strider 850 Gold 850W Modular Power

If you guys need more information such as running some tests, let me know and I'll get right on it.

Thanks.

March 8, 2011 9:30:12 PM

My games were also stuttering and freezing. The culprit was dust accumulation in the heatsink fins of my GTX480 and CPU heatsink. Cleaned it up and everything works fine now.

Games increase the temps of GPU's, CPU's and or MCH/ICH so that's why I usually check airflow and temps before anything else. In most cases, for me that is, that's all it was.

Check the simple stuff first such as temperature. Sometimes it's just components overheating.

I hope this helps! Good luck with everything!

!