Amd 6970 good for photoshop

falconian

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I know everyone is bickering about who has the fastest card, but I was wondering if anyone ever thought about more serious applications, like:

Photoshop
Illustrator
after effects
premier

With the new AMD cards having 2 gig on-board, I would have thought these cards would be better for more serious software, I want a card that can play all the latest games, but I would also like to use them in my work process, I spend a lot of time doing art in Photoshop and Illustrator, will the two gig on the new AMD cards make a difference to my work flow?

deathbydoubleG

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
the softwares you mentioned are primarily CPU Dependant but the 6970(s) and 580(s) are great cards for almost anything so they would do as well any other GPUs out right now...

Photoshop does not work with CUDA so no help there and if you get a nice 980X or i7 2600K (when it comes out) then you will be set with Photoshop as long as you also have a nice RAM supply.

falconian

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Hi

Thanks for the reply, but I think your not an avid user of Photoshop (I may be wrong), I use it probably 10 hours a day, and Photoshop uses GPU a lot, for zooming and 3D objects, the same for Illustrator and after effects, I believe the extra 2 gig on the new AMD cards will help tremendously, I'm just not sure if they will see the extra memory on the AMD 6970/6950, if there is any one out there, can you please let me know if you have seen the benefits of these cards in Photoshop (CS5).

I am in the process of upgrading and building a new machine, I like the 570, but I think in my situation, I would be better off getting with one of the new AMD cards (6970/6950 with two gig mem), as for the CPU, I will be going with the I7 870, because of the extra threads that will help in Video, I was informed by colleagues that the i7 870, is in fact better than the 920 and 930 i7s at stock value, and that it is a great over clocker.

All the best, thanks.

4745454b

Titan
AFAIK zoom and the like still uses the CPU to render everything. The newest versions of PS can use CUDA however to apply (some?) filters. The GTX460 is the sweet spot for pure PS use. Slower then that and you could do better, faster than that and your wasting money because the faster gaming cards won't shave off many more seconds. Whats the budget?

Edit: Here is a toms review. Really makes the CPU not matter much, but you still need a fast one for programs you have that don't use CUDA. As you can see, if you do this a lot Nvidia is for you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adobe-cs5-cuda-64-bit,2770-8.html

falconian

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010

Hi

Thanks for that info, I have read it, I would just love to hear from some one who does a lot of work in Photoshop and Illustrator, some one who is using these software on a daily basis, and as for the budget, I am willing to spend around 400 to 500 dollars on a good card that is going to last me at least another three years hopefully, I will most likely double up with xfire or Sli, any way thanks for the return info, all the best.

Keith.