Project "INCREDIBLE HULK"

Youngbl00d

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hey everyone im pretty new to building computers considering i have built one computer before this build. Tell me what you think about this setup. I have ordered all the parts and they should be here by wenesday but here in wisconsin its pretty snowy so im guessing that they will be in sometime late this week. Dont hate on my thread because im new and i dont know everything, but im all for helpful tips and whatnot. I hope you like it!!!

Case:Cooler Master HAF X nvidia edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Assassin
CPU: i7 990X
Video Cards: 3 GTX 580 superclocked edition
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaw 24gb (6 x 4gb)
SSD's: 2x 256gb Crucial Real SSD
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling 1200w ATX 12v
Linksys PCI Wireless Adapter
LG 10x Blueray Burner

So there ya go, ill be posting pictures as soon as i get all the parts, then you will be able to see why i called it the incredible hulk =P

Fill please: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

IT wouldn't be the smartest to start your first build with crazy expensive parts. Expecially since you should probably do some research waltz around some threads first. Don't jump straight into building. It'll **** you up in the final result.

Huge critiques.
Wait 1 month for Sandy Bridge fix on the motherboards. Reason? 2600K (330$) beats out a 980X (1000$).
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=142
You basically save 700$ waiting one month. Plus the 2600K leaves room to expand for Ivy Bridge (Z67)

Anyway. Your ideal looking build would be 1500$

EDIT: Just saying, this is a troll comment on the fact that that build costs so much.

In about 6 months, that build would bite the dust. Few things you should know.

1. As mentioned about Ivy Bridge will be released and Bulldozer (8-cores). That would save you about 700$.
2. C300 Bite the dust because the Vertex 3's will be released and those beat the SATA III C300's in every area, expecially 4kb random write/read (that's most important in boot drives)
3. I believe it is 28nm or 33nm AMD GPUs are released in Q3/Q4, Nvidia plans to follow sometime early next year.

That is all.

Youngbl00d

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Well i already built one computer and this one cant be any different, the parts are just nicer, everything still gets plugged into the same spots. I wouldnt have done it if i didnt feel comfortable doing so. I have spent hours and hours looking at fourms and looking on newegg to make IN MY OPINION the perfect computer.

Youngbl00d

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
I was thinking about going SB instead of the 990x but SB isnt really made for multitasking and i will be running multiple programs on multiple monitors, also most sb motherboards wont support 3 way sli or any more then 16 gb of ram, in a few years sb will dominate but right now it is too new and dosnt support all of the features i am interested in

Youngbl00d

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
photoshop CS5 extended
FL Studio Signature Bundle
Pro Tools
Cakewalk’s Sonar 7
among others, i do a lot of photoshop and even more music mixing and i plan on getting into gaming more

Why does it matter what im using it for i just asked your opinion of the quality and how it stands up compared to other builds on this and other sites.

^ OK quality wise. It'd be a 10. How it stands to other builds is dependent on who your talking to. If you talking to me, I don't know anybody who needs that kind of graphical or cpu power.

Also just a quick note, PS5 maximum probably only needs 8gb of ram. I run it with 4gb and doing heavy HDR + Panorama stitching and I still run fine with a system costing probably thousands less.

If you want a more literal comparison. This video will help you out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ees2aZcDUn8
SO RELEVANT TO THIS SITUATION XD

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Why does it matter what im using it for i just asked your opinion of the quality and how it stands up compared to other builds on this and other sites.
Because what you're using it for defines what parts you are going to put in it. Your build as it stands now is grossly overpowered and you will find yourself spending, like, 4 grand, and finally using only 20% of your total power at any given time. Sure, you'll have bragging rights, but in the end you'll just end up wasting money.

You might think, yeah, I'm all set up for the next decade so what the hell I'll just spend it all in one shot and stop thinking about it. But consider the computers of a decade ago - do they really want to fire up Crysis or any recent game? Technology evolves at an exponential rate, and regardless of your build, in three-four years it will become a joke. Your three 580's will be defeated by a single low-budget card in a few year's time and you'll remember my words.

It's good to plan for the future, but you gotta be smart about it. Such a build is not an intelligent way to be future-proof.

By the way, wait for SB. You won't regret it ...

From the old Q series from Intel (775) THG did a test from the top of the line 4 years ago to top of the line now. (single card) They saw 25-50% increase in performance. So that's what you can expect in 4 years.

Youngbl00d

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
But i just canceled my order on newegg so i hope it goes through, im really counting on SB now...damn i wanted my computer this week, now i gotta wait a month to order AND another week or so to get the parts in =( sucks being impatient

A Lambo Murcielago costs about 350 grand+ (So basically the system youngblood wants) However the Evo costs 30 grand and can do the same thing the Murcielago can with the same feel (power turns, drifting, handling etc etc) for MUCH less. (the 1.5K build that is way cheaper than his build)