Morrowind

bev

I have purchased Morrowind and wondered if any players of it here would
be able to answer my question. I can't access my character although
all the other npcs are visible and vocal.
I just have a small glowing cross where I think my character should be.
The inventory has clothing, i.e. tunic etc. next to the empty picture
box. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bev

"Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> I have purchased Morrowind and wondered if any players of it here would
> be able to answer my question. I can't access my character although
> all the other npcs are visible and vocal.
> I just have a small glowing cross where I think my character should be.
> The inventory has clothing, i.e. tunic etc. next to the empty picture
> box. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think that you don't see your character until you press either tab or caps
lock. And I don't think you can even do that until you go outside into the
main city, which happens after you have fully created your character.

Be sure to fix the controls, too. I think the arrow keys are best for
moving the character around.

Oh, and most of the time you won't see your character. The game is played
from your point of view, and all you will see normally is your weapon, or
your hands, usually. The cross is just what you use to aim your weapon.

Good luck,
Mark

> > I have purchased Morrowind and wondered if any players of it here would
> > be able to answer my question. I can't access my character although
> > all the other npcs are visible and vocal.
> > I just have a small glowing cross where I think my character should be.
> > The inventory has clothing, i.e. tunic etc. next to the empty picture
> > box. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> I think that you don't see your character until you press either tab or
caps
> lock. And I don't think you can even do that until you go outside into
the
> main city, which happens after you have fully created your character.

I don't think the OP is still in the character creation mode.
Remember, the inventory screen is disabled until you've created your
character - and ready to fetch the scroll.

The OP has some other problems - either needs patching, or update video
driver / DirectX.

bev

KC Wong wrote:

> > > I have purchased Morrowind and wondered if any players of it here would
> > > be able to answer my question. I can't access my character although
> > > all the other npcs are visible and vocal.
> > > I just have a small glowing cross where I think my character should be.
> > > The inventory has clothing, i.e. tunic etc. next to the empty picture
> > > box. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > I think that you don't see your character until you press either tab or
> caps
> > lock. And I don't think you can even do that until you go outside into
> the
> > main city, which happens after you have fully created your character.
>
> I don't think the OP is still in the character creation mode.
> Remember, the inventory screen is disabled until you've created your
> character - and ready to fetch the scroll.
>
> The OP has some other problems - either needs patching, or update video
> driver / DirectX.

Thanks KC but I have fetched the scroll and progressed out into the
game. I now find that when I click on items in the inventory and drop
them into the empty picture they get a square around them. When I
looked at my character he was clothed and when I hit the F button he had
the dagger so it may be that I can play the game without the picture.
Incidentally I have downloaded the latest patch but it made no
difference. I have just had a new motherboard installed and don't know
if this would have made a difference. I am not very familiar with the
insides of computers and wouldn't know how to update video driver /
Direct X

Bev