Virgo question

Nosferatu

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2004

Ok againa maybe a stupid question on Virgo. Never played CoM so no
experience on these.

How does the light speed work when using it with Escort order.

So what I have gathered from different sources is that the light speed
actually is just really fast normal movement.

But does it work really as an escort if I use command code "LSD" all my
other ships moving 190 ly will be exactly at the same time in the final
destination

Smiley

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

Nosferatu wrote:
> Ok againa maybe a stupid question on Virgo. Never played CoM so no
> experience on these.
>
> How does the light speed work when using it with Escort order.
>
> So what I have gathered from different sources is that the light speed
> actually is just really fast normal movement.
>
> But does it work really as an escort if I use command code "LSD" all my
> other ships moving 190 ly will be exactly at the same time in the final
> destination

Yes Light speed is just really fast normal movement. It goes through
minefields without harm (Virgo ability) and isn't effected by grav
wells. Bloody nice but a bit costly on fuel.

When using it with Escort make sure you have LSD orders, otherwise it
will switch off to conserve fuel. Even if escorting another Virgo that
is using lightspeed.

Not sure what you mean by the last bit. The Virgo will move at a speed
of 400. It will travel 190ly in less than half the time a transwarp
will take to go the same distance, arriving at an earlier tic.

Yes. Actually, for every speed over 90 (Virgo max normal speed), you
don't even need the LSD code. And for speeds <= 90, while escorting,
LSD is a waste.

> Yes Light speed is just really fast normal movement. It goes through
> minefields without harm (Virgo ability) and isn't effected by grav
> wells. Bloody nice but a bit costly on fuel.

But anyway: As i understand that: Lightspeed isn't much difference to
Gravitonic Accelerator? I mean a ship with Transwarp and Grav Acc could move
up to 380LYs a turn ... so Lightspeed only change the maximum range to
400??? (and fuel costs are extremely higher!?)

Or am i miss anything?

Mydgard

> But anyway: As i understand that: Lightspeed isn't much difference to
> Gravitonic Accelerator? I mean a ship with Transwarp and Grav Acc could
> move up to 380LYs a turn ... so Lightspeed only change the maximum range
> to 400??? (and fuel costs are extremely higher!?)
>
> Or am i miss anything?

Not something important. Minor annotations are: With Grav Accel you Scanner
fails and you are 3 times more visible. With Light Speed you burn even the
1000kt fuel when moving 200ly and not the full 400ly.

Greetings
Sebastian

Nosferatu

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2004

Could say Virgo is the best possible attcak support ship in the hand of
a race like enforcers which can move their fleet with jumpoint
generator.... Captured it with incarceration beams in very early game.

Just jumped with my fleet near robot base (the player did not have gun
zeros yet since he thought the novas would keep him safe) with Virgo.
Then I had my whole fleet immune to minfields and just destroyed
everything within 190 ly with towing my other ships with law dogs....
Superlasered the homeworld etc. All his major ships are now under
atleast 4 enforcer gravs so I can blow them to system damage of 100%
and take down everything else

I have actually 5 long range mine detectors in the area, but still
there is a possibility of cloaked nova.... My ships logs all show that
they are still immune to minefields though they are now far away from
mty "UEA Galactica". So is this just a bug in the log messages or does
the Virgo effect last for 2 turns????

Would be nice just to have a Virgo in one place and just go there with
ships and load the immunity to minefields for few turns... This cannot
be true or is it?