Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What's the advantage of APU from a typical consumer's perspective?

Last response: in CPUs
May 29, 2011 3:47:46 PM

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about building a pc and am currently following the discussions over AMD's bulldozer.

I've noticed that the few videos AMD has shown so far are largely of high end PC processors (and rightfully so as those push the limit).

But for a typical consumer, what's the advantage of getting these new AMD APU's?
One of the points from a demo I've seen was the APU's ability to multitask, but I don't imagine most people will be watching movie/playing game/streaming video simultaneously. The majority of gamers will most likely purchase a discrete GPU. From a common sense perspective, it would also seem that the APU's would have lower power draw and perhaps less delay since everything is on the same die.

Is the idea here to leverage GPU processing power in typical CPU tasks? And if so, what's the benefit if you don't intensively multitask?

Here are my circumstances in particular, I'd appreciate it if you can give me some advice:

From the prices out of the rumour mill, I don't think I'll be able to afford a Bulldozer. If I go AMD, I'll probably grab a llano A8 or A6 instead. But for the same price, I could potentially get a i3 + GPU, maybe even i5 + GPU, should Intel lower their price come the release of AMD's APU's.

What would you guys do in my shoes? Does one choice have a distinct advantage over the other? Or are they in the same ball park?

At this point it's probably all speculations as the details about the APU's haven't really been clarified yet, but assuming we had the details, what would you need to see for you to choose AMD? I'm talking about low to mid level computing here by the way.

Thanks!

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 29, 2011 4:59:12 PM

Big advantage of the APU is its application on a business machine or general purpose PC for the average consumer without high demands for 3D video processing.

Low power consumption
Extended battery life
Less real estate required on the motherboards=smaller motherboard size=can create smaller powerful devices (ie tablets)

There are many other advantages. APUs are already here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Processing_Uni...

Intel HD video solutions are included on some 1156 and 1155 processors. You just need a board (H57, Z68, H67, etc...) with the video out and the graphics are handled by a GPU on the CPU.

AMD's Vision processors are APUs that have been around for a little while now. There are Tegra 2 APUs by Nvidia that tablets are being built with.

This is definitely not some up and coming technology. It's already here.

What would I need to see for me to choose AMD? Comparable price for comparable performance to Intel's processors and architecture.

Then I would begin to consider AMD again.

You can get an i5 2500k for $225. What price point do you consider mid-level?
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 3, 2012 6:23:28 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 3, 2012 6:23:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!