Sign in with
Your question

Sandy bridges build

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2011 1:43:05 AM

Hi, i'm brand spanking new to this whole process and I would really appreciate a bit of help and advice from some people more experienced than I.

The draft of my build is this:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K Processor LGA1155 3.3GHz CPU $299.00
MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Motherboard ASRock P67 Extreme4 $189.00
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked $399.00
Ram: G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600Mhz $121.00
SSD: Patriot Inferno 60GB SandForce SSD $149.00
HD: Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM x2 $114.00
PSU: Antec TruePower TP-750 750W $139.00
Case: Silverstone Fortress series FT02B Black ATX $248.00
DVD: Lite-On IHAS324 24x DVDRW $27.00
CPU cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler $33.00

Total: $1741

These prices are in Australian and from Australian website - (Umart and PCcasegear) and I plan on purchasing within the next few weeks.

I suppose I just want the opinions of others because. as I said before, i'm quite new to this.

Oh yes, and I plan to OC the CPU and possibly SLI the graphics card down the track if I can work out how.

More about : sandy bridges build

February 28, 2011 7:13:05 AM

Nice build :) 

For dual gtx 570's you would be safer going with an 850w psu. Look at the XFX psu's for a good 850w that won't break the bank. Otherwise a gtx 560 o/c will come close to running on par with the 570 and a 750w psu is just right for two of those cards with leaving you extra juice for over clocking cpu, xtra drives, etc... Here's one that's factory o/c and has some head room to bump it up even more. Two 560's in SLI > gtx 580

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $299.00
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Overclocked 1GB

Also down below is a case with great airflow and room for two vid cards....

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $128.00
CoolerMaster HAF 922 Case

If looking for more size and great air flow...this ones also worth taking a look at imo...

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $175.00
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case

http://www.asrock.com/news/events/201102ex/warranty.htm... <----- Look for the B3 Stepping Chipset Logo/Sticker on the new boards.
m
l
February 28, 2011 1:32:41 PM

Sandy Bridge, Shmandy Bridge, now I have to listen to people calling it Sandy Bridge'S. LOL

Why can't you people just use the model number of the cpu you want. I don't hear anyone on hear saying "I need help with a Thuban build" or "Someone help me with my Propus build" or how bout my "Gulftown build?.

Ridiculous.
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2011 2:48:50 PM

tompy97 said:

Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked $399.00
Case: Silverstone Fortress series FT02B Black ATX $248.00

I really like the concept of those Fortress / Raven cases from Silverstone, with the motherboard rotated.
I think it's better because then heat is leaving the top of the case, and Graphics / expansion cards are essentially 'hanging' from the top so it eliminates the sag that you can sometimes get with a long video card with a heavy cooler on it.
I'm really tempted to use the FT02 for my next build, but one thing to keep in mind is that case is a tight fit with some long graphics cards, especially because they usually have a power connector at the end of the card. Silverstone lists the max card size @ 12", or 12.2" w/ fan grill removed. This is the one thing that's prevented me from accepting this case so far.

You might want to make sure you see some good physical dimensions of that Gigabyte card before you commit.

m
l
February 28, 2011 9:19:36 PM

geekapproved said:
Sandy Bridge, Shmandy Bridge, now I have to listen to people calling it Sandy Bridge'S. LOL

Why can't you people just use the model number of the cpu you want. I don't hear anyone on hear saying "I need help with a Thuban build" or "Someone help me with my Propus build" or how bout my "Gulftown build?.

Ridiculous.

My apologies for being ridiculous GeekApproved, I didn't know it meant so much to you. But if you didn't come here to help me or offer me any relevant advice to the topic then I would appreciate you not posting. Thank you.
m
l
February 28, 2011 9:23:37 PM

tompy97 said:
My apologies for being ridiculous GeekApproved, I didn't know it meant so much to you. But if you didn't come here to help me or offer me any relevant advice to the topic then I would appreciate you not posting. Thank you.

+1

I doubt anyone was holding a gun to his head forcing him to read this forum.
m
l
February 28, 2011 9:30:01 PM

CopaMundial said:
Silverstone lists the max card size @ 12", or 12.2" w/ fan grill removed. This is the one thing that's prevented me from accepting this case so far.

You might want to make sure you see some good physical dimensions of that Gigabyte card before you commit.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.
I checkout around a bit and the only dimension I could find was 24cm (9.45 inches). This wasn't from a reputable source and it doesn't sound right to me either... I have no idea where I can find the right dimensions.
m
l
February 28, 2011 9:47:14 PM

tompy97 said:
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.
I checkout around a bit and the only dimension I could find was 24cm (9.45 inches). This wasn't from a reputable source and it doesn't sound right to me either... I have no idea where I can find the right dimensions.

That's not a real 'reference card', but the NVidia site lists the physical dimensions for the GTX 570 1280MB reference card at 10.5 inches (267 mm). I doubt this Gigabyte card is any larger than that physically, maybe a few mm at the end with their cooler but I'd say no problem fitting it.

Plus there is a review of that card on NewEgg with someone specifically mentioning that they have it installed in a FT02 case for what it's worth.

m
l
February 28, 2011 10:28:52 PM

Agree w/ WhyMe ... you want an XFX Black Edition 850 .... But yikes ....$205 down under, just over half that up top here. Antec SG850, Seasonic X-850, Corsair HX850, CP-850. The later is roughly the same price as the one you picked but it won't fit in your Silverstone case ... you'd have to switch to an Antec P183, P193, 1200 or DF-85

The 90 GB Verex 2 is running about the same price as the Patriot Inferno 60GB; and no, the Vertex 2 90 GB model doesn't have the capacity issue.

I'd get the Scythe Mugen 2 over the 212 and don't forget some Shin Etsu TIM
m
l
February 28, 2011 11:53:40 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Agree w/ WhyMe ... you want an XFX Black Edition 850 .... But yikes ....$205 down under, just over half that up top here. Antec SG850, Seasonic X-850, Corsair HX850, CP-850. The later is roughly the same price as the one you picked but it won't fit in your Silverstone case ... you'd have to switch to an Antec P183, P193, 1200 or DF-85

The 90 GB Verex 2 is running about the same price as the Patriot Inferno 60GB; and no, the Vertex 2 90 GB model doesn't have the capacity issue.

I'd get the Scythe Mugen 2 over the 212 and don't forget some Shin Etsu TIM

So would the Antec SG850, Seasonic X-850 or Corsair HX850 fit into the silverstone ft02? I am quite taken by this case and even though it is rather expensive I think its the one I will get. I've just never been a fan of the "gaming" cases with flashy lights, windows and bold stylings. I prefer something more minimalistic. From what i've read, the cooling is absolutely top notch in the ft02 as well.

The Scythe Mugen 2 is $75 down under, that's more than double the 212. Is it going to be twice as good?

Thanks for the tip about the 90gb Verex 2 as well, I'll have to give it a look
m
l
March 1, 2011 12:32:18 AM

tompy97 said:
So would the Antec SG850, Seasonic X-850 or Corsair HX850 fit into the silverstone ft02?

Yes, the only power supplies discussed so far that would not fit are specifically the 'CP' series from Antec. All of Antec's other power supplies fit just as well as anyone else because they are the typical ATX form factor, but the 'CP' supplies (CP-850 and CP-1000) are a different 'CPX' form factor that so far are only compatible with the 3 cases listed by JackNaylorPE above).
m
l
!