Startup repair not working

Robin_R

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
i was off line for a while, when i got back on my comp tried to install 1800+ updates and hasnt worked since. startup repair not working. restore, not working. all thats left that i know how to do is reinstall windows7 and i really want to try everythign else first cause i have pics of my son on my comp. no i didnt make a back up and yes i have learnt my lesson

Solution
Hello Robin_R;

What you want to do first is Rescue any important personal files or data.
One way to do that is working with a bootable Rescue CD.

Ubuntu Desktop (use the Try It option, not the install option)
Is a whole operating system you can download and run from a bootable CD/DVD or USB drive.
It's not 'windows' but it's enough alike windows you should be able to figure out how to navigate the hard disk and copy off files to a USB thumb drive or external hard drive.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hello Robin_R;

What you want to do first is Rescue any important personal files or data.
One way to do that is working with a bootable Rescue CD.

Ubuntu Desktop (use the Try It option, not the install option)
Is a whole operating system you can download and run from a bootable CD/DVD or USB drive.
It's not 'windows' but it's enough alike windows you should be able to figure out how to navigate the hard disk and copy off files to a USB thumb drive or external hard drive.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Solution

Robin_R

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

Thanks a lot!. am trying to put it on my usb now and then will let you know how the whole thing goes. Really hope this works! will keep you informed

Robin_R

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
it worked!i wa able to easily install it along side windows 7 (that os takes up a s### load of room!!!!) and access my flies on the os thru ubuntu! some file i cannot access though which is frustrating but i am now able to not only save my pics but use my PC again. having the firefox is a little frustrating but its better than nothing and i can convert most of my docs to the installed programs.

Thank you so much. now I can help my mates if they ever have the same issue cause i am never using that usb for anything else. and yes i did make a back up disk!