Sign in with
Your question

USB Port failure?!?

Last response: in Components
May 29, 2011 6:59:45 PM

Hey, guys. I was hoping you could help me out with an infuriating problem with the USB ports on the front.

I was trying to install Maplestory on the computer (Dell Inspirion 530 with Vista), and for some odd reason, at random points in the download, the USB port that the internet wireless receiver is plugged into 'dies', causing the internet to go down. For some reason, it only happens with the wireless receiver, no other USB devices. What's even worse is, whenever I plug the wireless receiver into another USB port, my internet ends up as 'local', not 'Local and Internet'.

This isn't the only time it's happened, though. It also happens when surfing websites, or playing online. I'm not sure if it's an option in Vista that's causing it, or a short somewhere in the USB or the receiver itself, but it seems to be happening everytime while installing Maplestory, and close to rarely when not installing.

Please help, I don't want to call Dell about this problem, because I don't want to pay for repairs (This computer has been in my house for a while now, and this problem has been occurring since 2010.) :fou: 

More about : usb port failure

May 29, 2011 7:19:00 PM

Have you tried the USB device in a different PC?
m
l
May 29, 2011 7:24:59 PM

Nope, this is the only PC I have at home. :( 
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2011 7:27:35 PM

i think its a hardware of network issue.

So is this a random death or does the wireless usb die at certain points?
m
l
May 29, 2011 7:33:01 PM

It's random, but it also seems to die quickly during the installation. Other than that, unpredictable.
m
l
May 29, 2011 7:34:09 PM

Is the installation the most stressful or intensive thing you use the USB for?
m
l
May 29, 2011 7:39:17 PM

No. It downloads at a steady, but fast pace.

If anyone is curious to know, this 'installer' we're talking about is the Nexon Installer, and my brother said this happened with League of Legends, which uses the same installer.

What's even funner, I just remembered, is that it was working fine yesterday, and then while I was gone, when it just about hit 100%, it happened. :o 
m
l
May 29, 2011 7:39:39 PM

Quote:

*** Update 2: The maintenance is complete. Cash Shop items will be extended by 24 hours. The Australian 2x EXP and Drop event will begin at 12am US Pacific Time on Saturday, May 28th.

*** Update 1: The maintenance is scheduled to complete at 12am Pacific Time (3am Eastern), Saturday, May 28th. Cash Shop items will be extended by 24 hours. The Australian 2x EXP and Drop event will begin after the maintenance is complete.

Attention Maplers,

MapleStory is currently unavailable and undergoing an unscheduled server maintenance to address a serious issue. At this time we do not have a maintenance schedule and we will provide frequent updates when available.

http://maplestory.nexon.net/

And isnt maple story undergoing server maintence?
They just finished.
m
l
May 29, 2011 7:40:41 PM

So how do you bring this usb back to life if it does die?
m
l
May 29, 2011 7:42:01 PM

Restart the computer.
m
l
May 29, 2011 7:45:12 PM

DellXPSMan said:
Restart the computer.

i think it should be alright now.So because yesterday server maintence may have in some way ruined network signal.But how about other days?
How are the other days like?
m
l
May 29, 2011 7:47:13 PM

Well, it's definitely NOT Maplestory itself. It's happened LONG before Maplestory, as I mentioned before.
m
l
May 29, 2011 7:52:18 PM

DellXPSMan said:
Well, it's definitely NOT Maplestory itself. It's happened LONG before Maplestory, as I mentioned before.

i will try to think of a solution later.I am sure with the abudance of knowledge we can figure out something.
Have to go for now.Bye.
m
l
May 30, 2011 2:55:53 AM

DellXPSMan said:

It might be your wireless usb might not have been properly installed.I have on and it auto installs.Are their any drivers for the usb or not?
m
l
May 31, 2011 10:29:40 PM

Here, I'll try to explain the problem clearly, since I think I wasn't clear with the problem earlier. :S

The 'wireless receiver' I've been going on about is a Linksys Wireless-G USB Network adapter.

Looks like this:

It's also got an extension USB cable attached to the computer's front USBs, which allows it to be closer to the router to pick up more signals. (Was too lazy to get a Wi-fi range extension. :na:  )

Now, I'm not sure whether it's something wrong with the computer or whatever, but when I tried downloading Maplestory or All Points Bulletin (Yes, that's back.), the internet will suddenly disconnect.

Now, when I disconnect the USB cable to the wireless network adapter, the computer does not make any sound. Usually, the computer will make a sound to tell you that a USB device has been detached.

When I plug it back in, no sounds, and the device doesn't work.

When I plug it into another USB port, the device is connected, but I get the 'Local Only' status on my internet connection, instead of 'Local and Internet'. :heink: 

The USB port seems to work again when I reset the computer, up until I try the download/installation again.

That is as clear as I can make myself. :pfff: 

I have a hunch that the computer is shutting off the particular USB port to save power, but then again, it's a desktop computer, not a laptop. :p 

EDIT: I was looking around the computer, and found that the computer was set to automatically turn off the USB device if it used up too much power. I unchecked that option, reset the computer, tried again and poof... The problem is STILL there, so that solution dud not work. :( 

I seriously need some help. It's getting on my nerves.
m
l
June 1, 2011 8:47:15 PM

Update on the problem! :bounce: 

I checked out the device manager after encountering the problem again, and after unplugging the Wireless-G Network adapter, the computer seems to think that it is still plugged in! :o 

Now, I'm getting really suspicious. Was it an update that caused this, or is it something with the motherboard of the computer?

Any computer experts out there, PLEASE help me! This is so infuriating!
m
l
June 2, 2011 3:38:01 AM

can you do the following tests when its working and then repeat them all when disconnected

its important to do all the ping tests

1) Ping the default gateway
2) ping google.com by the name
3) ping google using IP address

all details below

ipconfig /all

TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
start
run
cmd
ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

NEXT lets see if you can get out onto the internet with both names and IP's - its possible the IP number you get back on the first test is different to the one I post {I'm in UK} so use the number you get instead of mine

------------------------------------------------
try ping the name and then the IP see below

start
run
cmd

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping {the default gateway ipaddress you got above }

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping google.com
Quote:

Pinging google.com [64.233.187.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=107ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=101ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 101ms, Maximum = 120ms, Average = 107ms

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 64.233.187.991
Ping request could not find host 64.233.187.991. Please check the name and try a
gain.
C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 64.233.187.99
Quote:

Pinging 64.233.187.99 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=116ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=111ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 111ms, Maximum = 116ms, Average = 113ms