Sign in with
Your question

Can a geforce gtx 460 be powered externally?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2010 5:36:56 PM

I bought a geforce gtx 460 graphics card for my son for Christmas... we want to install it in his Gateway gm5643e computer but have discovered the power supply is not sufficient. The card requires a 450watt minimum supply and the computer's is only 400watts... plus there are not sufficient connectors coming from the power supply to hook up the card (it requires two six-pin or four four-pin connectors and we have only one of each available from the computer's supply). Is it possible to find a power supply that can be connected to the graphics card directly from outside the computer? It seems this would be a simpler solution than completely changing out the computer's power supply. Thanks for any help!

a c 194 U Graphics card
a c 272 ) Power supply
December 26, 2010 7:13:17 PM

Running a computer on two separate power supplies is not a good idea, i would really suggest replacing it with a better unit, its not difficult to swap out a PSU and its a much more reliable solution than trying to rig a second unit to power the graphics card. An Antec Neo 520 would give you all the connectors you need so you wont need to swap it out again if he wants to upgrade again in the future.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 540 U Graphics card
a c 1167 ) Power supply
December 26, 2010 9:08:56 PM

winszlo said:
I bought a geforce gtx 460 graphics card for my son for Christmas... we want to install it in his Gateway gm5643e computer but have discovered the power supply is not sufficient. The card requires a 450watt minimum supply and the computer's is only 400watts... plus there are not sufficient connectors coming from the power supply to hook up the card (it requires two six-pin or four four-pin connectors and we have only one of each available from the computer's supply). Is it possible to find a power supply that can be connected to the graphics card directly from outside the computer? It seems this would be a simpler solution than completely changing out the computer's power supply. Thanks for any help!

Does your Gateway GM5643E have the Delta Electronics DPS-400RB A power supply with the label as shown in the following image?

The GeForce GTX 460 will draw a maximum 13.3 Amps from the +12 Volt rail(s).

There are two +12 Volt rails in that power supply unit with each rail being able to provide 15 Amps maximum when both rails are in use.

Since one of the +12 Volt rails on the power supply appears to have a PCIe 6-pin supplementary power connector that satisfies one of the two 6-pin PCIe supplementary power connectors required.

You can use a Male Molex Power 4PIN to PCI Express 6PIN Female Adapter Cable, shown in the following image, that would be on the other +12 Volt rail to satisfy the second of the two 6-pin PCIe supplementary power connectors required.
m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2010 10:17:53 PM

ko888 is right, but it's a very tight solution in my opinion, mainly because the PSU is also powering the rest of the system, and with time (is your PSU old ? Like two years old ?), each year that passes the PSU loses efficiency and the ability to deliver the advertised power. So take those specs with a grain of salt and remember that an old PSU will deliver less than the label says.

I would agree with hunter315, better to buy a new power supply and install inside the PC. Much simpler, effective and less dangerous too.

It's not that difficult do replace the wires. It's way more difficult to replace the computer case and have to connect all the power wirings to a motherboard that does not state what should go where and having to take notes. And even those situations are doable. Compared to that, replacing a PSU is a piece of cake.

You could buy a PSU from Corsair, they have very good quality and efficiency. An HX 520w or a VX 550w will do fine. Even an HX450w wil do fine (it's the one I have).
m
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 27, 2010 12:03:35 AM

winszlo said:

well first off, the card doesn't require 450W, that's what recommended for an entire system that has components of similar performance. the car itself is probably around the 200W range. i know of a couple friends who have a psu doing their cpu and gpu and another doing their peripherals, like the fans and dvd drive, but i wouldn't recommend this. i got a 650W corsair PSU for $65 after rebates which is an extremely good deal so i recommend upgrading your psu.
m
l
January 2, 2011 5:54:53 PM

Thank you so much for the helpful responses! We've ordered a new Corsair (550VX) power supply ($15 rebate on Amazon.com). It looks like it should do it... I'll post again after we've installed it.
m
l
January 6, 2011 5:36:57 PM

We installed the new power supply without a hitch. If I had known it was going to be that easy, I wouldn't have fretted at all.

Again, thank you to those who replied... What a great resource this forum is!
m
l
January 14, 2011 2:21:36 AM

winszlo said:
We installed the new power supply without a hitch. If I had known it was going to be that easy, I wouldn't have fretted at all.

Again, thank you to those who replied... What a great resource this forum is!

You're welcome! Glad to see everything worked out, you've bought a fine PSU!

Cheers!
m
l
!