HP p6210y chipset worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisisreality4

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hello,

My problem is that this chip which seems to be the firmwire chipset - according to some techy friends - is shot, literally.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/394061_3030734335082_1464585158_32923819_2047920805_n.jpg

Here's how it happened. I tried to upgrade my graphics and put in a new gpu and therefore a new psu to power it. My new gpu was a gts 8800, while my old psu was about 300 watts and my new one was 450 watts.
I'm not sure what happened, but it seemed to work for a bit. Then when i plugged in my usb wireless adapter, smoke and shots of electricity spit out of this chip!!

After turning off the pc and replacing the psu with my old one - it worked and turned ON. But the only problem that seems to occur is when i plug in a usb drive into my front two ports. Literally, smoke comes out of the ports when you plug something in and the chipset starts to sparkle too.

Here are the specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01635734&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=4006020

Basically, my question - what does this chip even do? Will anything bad if i continue using my computer?

What exactly HAPPENED when i upgraded? Because I still want to install this gpu.

I'm short on money, so if there are any solutions - please keep it low budget. Thank you :)

Solution
That Header is supposed to be connected to the firewire socket if there were any supplied with the rig. Otherwise it's supposed to stay without anything else plugged into it.
I don't see how difficult it would be to just pull out whatever was plugged into that header and shift it to the USB header on the board? No point in having front USB ports not working as they happen to be the most accessible ones usually.

If you're ok with not using your USB ports then I think the boards ok for it too. But it's better not to have them connected to the firewire header at all.
You have most probably connected the 1394a Header to the Front Panel USB.
Check and reconfirm that the right connections have been made.
Another thing is, have you connected the Molex to 6Pin PCIe to the card using a single molex from the PSU or using 2 Molex Connectors from the PSU?
And not to forget the 4Pin ATX CPU Power connector.

That Header is supposed to be connected to the firewire socket if there were any supplied with the rig. Otherwise it's supposed to stay without anything else plugged into it.
I don't see how difficult it would be to just pull out whatever was plugged into that header and shift it to the USB header on the board? No point in having front USB ports not working as they happen to be the most accessible ones usually.

If you're ok with not using your USB ports then I think the boards ok for it too. But it's better not to have them connected to the firewire header at all.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.