Disabled Physx problems with 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I have a XFX 6870, and Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.... I just purchased batman AA on steam and after installing, going to settings, disabling physx, I launch the game and a message appears saying that physx could not be launched. Then when I use driver sweeper (seems to not work properly) and a resart, I go to install the latest drivers again and it says that the version of physx that im trying to install is a later version then the one currently installed, which causes the installation to fail (and I thought physx should have been uninastalled at this point. Sounds sort of confusing, but can anyone help with this, I don't understand why batman AA tries to initiate physx when I have it disabled in the settings prior to launching the game. Someone please help I would really like to play this game which I just got a great deal on ($7.50) yesterday. Thanks

Solution
I have 1 last ditch effort for you. Do you own or know of someone who owns an Nvidia card, something of the 8600 or newer veriety? If so, uninstall your card, install it. When you install the drivers, you will get PhysX with it. Then uninstall the drivers, but leave the PhysX drivers there (uninstall from uninstall Programs menu).

I know this works, as I have done this before. It's just a pain to do.
When you disable PhysX, you are really just disabling the advanced physX. Pretty much all games built on a PhysX engine requires physX drivers. Even if you have an ATI card.

Woups, I missed the part where you have an ATI card. In that case, go to the control panel, uninstall the Nvidia PhysX drivers, then reinstall Batman, and the game should install the physX drivers for you. Alternatively, you can look for a PhysX install online.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.10.0513-driver.html

where in the control panel do I uninstall the nvidia drivers?

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Metro 2033 also needs PhysX to be installed, even if you have an ATI card. In these cases, you can still turn it on, but it will use the CPU's ancient (and slow) x87 instructions to process PhysX, and as far as I know, it's a single threaded process, so it's really slow, and not worth it. Perhaps one day Nvidia will upgrade that part of the PhysX ecosystem, but it's not really a priority for them, because they prefer you buy a second card for PhysX, instead of relying on the CPU's extra cores.

Metro 2033 is one of the few games in which it does use the CPU resonably well. It's not as fast as having a physX card, but it can be playable.

thanks for the sarcasm but believe me when I say that it does not show up on this list, what the hell is going on? when i try to install it again from the website it says that i already have a version installed..

thanks for the info, I could care less about physx, just want the freakin game to play..

I have 1 last ditch effort for you. Do you own or know of someone who owns an Nvidia card, something of the 8600 or newer veriety? If so, uninstall your card, install it. When you install the drivers, you will get PhysX with it. Then uninstall the drivers, but leave the PhysX drivers there (uninstall from uninstall Programs menu).

I know this works, as I have done this before. It's just a pain to do.

Solution

yeah i do actually have a 8600 gts sitting in my closet, I have 2 pci express slots on my motherboard, should I just install this in the second slot for physx? or should I just do like you said and install it as a main gpu, then uninstall and keep physx? thanks for your help this is rediculous

if this is how it works, sounds about right, tell me why physx will not initialize for batman aa but just cause 2 runs just fine...?

You can use both cards but be sure to use community patch for the nvidia drivers to allow physx alongside with your ati card. Performance won't be all that great but it will run unless you have a underline problem that isn't being addressed or known yet with your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.