Sign in with
Your question

Will I need to remove the motherboard (LGA 1366) to install a cooler master Hype

Last response: in Components
May 29, 2011 11:28:08 PM

My present computer has a LGA 1366 DX 58SO2 motherboard, with and intel i7 960 cpu. I am thinking of installing a cooler master Hyper N620 cooler. Will I have to remove the motherboard to install the new cooler master Hyper N620 cooler?

Clay Rhyne
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2011 11:42:41 PM

Yes. It's mounted using a bracket on the rear of the motherboard, so unless you have a large cutout in your motherboard tray you'll have to take it out.

To be honest though, those motherboard cutouts I think just foster lazy behaviour - if you care about your hardware you'll want to make sure your cooler is properly mounted, so why take shortcuts and mount a cooler while the motherboard is still in the case?

ALWAYS take the board out; it'll save you hassle and time in the long run.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2011 11:43:27 PM

This is one of those deals where the heatsink is so large that if you can't get it mounted right with the mobo in the case, you have to take it out.

So if you are having massive problems with putting it in while its in the case, then yea, try taking it out. Better to be safe than sorry.

If you are like me and have nimble skinny fingers this is easy lol.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2011 12:06:56 AM

Or if you have sausage fingers like I do, you will curse through the entire process. Well worth it though, the cooling is great.
m
l
May 30, 2011 2:46:13 AM

LePhuronn said:
Yes. It's mounted using a bracket on the rear of the motherboard, so unless you have a large cutout in your motherboard tray you'll have to take it out.

To be honest though, those motherboard cutouts I think just foster lazy behaviour - if you care about your hardware you'll want to make sure your cooler is properly mounted, so why take shortcuts and mount a cooler while the motherboard is still in the case?

ALWAYS take the board out; it'll save you hassle and time in the long run.

Thanks for the information. The guts of my computer are housed in the cooler master 942 HAF X which has a very large cut out behind the cpu. So I just might be able to get the cooler in without taking the board out. If not then I will certainly follow your advice
m
l
a c 89 V Motherboard
May 30, 2011 2:08:10 PM

Yes, just fitted one to an AMD system, couple of hints, as instructions are rubbish.

The stand offs that stick out go to the back of your motherboard.
Don't tighten the bolts through the motherboard, until you tighten heatsink down.
m
l
!