Sudden drop in FPS for no reason

i have a gtx 460 running a 1920x1080 monitor. When i'm playing Black ops, sometimes my fps will drop from around 90 to about 2 for around 5-10 seconds. sometimes this doesn't happen during a match and other times it happens 4-5 times. i use evga precision to track my graphics card and it shows that my card never gets above 60C and my GPU usage drops when my fps drops. i also play GRiD on the same rig on high settings and i don't get this problem. I may get a quick shutter maybe once an hour while playing, but nothing that affects gameplay. My system is custom built so could this be a problem with my construction or a possible faulty component that has problems under stress? I have my graphics OC'd just a little bit, less than 10%.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
With Nvidia cards in the control panel there is a setting under Power management mode: By default Adaptive is selected. This will often cause your card to either not clock up to full 3D performance mode or waver off and on as it somehow tries to adjust from full to power savings mode. It's a stupid setting that does not work correctly. You can set it to Prefer maximum performance and this will set full performance for all games all the time. You can also set it under Program Settings tab and do it individually per game. I don't care about what kind of power the damn thing is using I just want it to be fast so I turned it off global. See if it helps

Online or Single Player? Also, how much RAM do you have?

4gb gskill ram

I agree with dokk2. But also, something that could be an issue is your cpu. Is it a dual-core? Many dual-cores suffer fps and just plain lag on black ops. Since BO is a quad core optimized game. Grid on the other hand is not from my knowledge.

i5-750. i have other people playing on the same internet and router who don't get this problem; and it doesn't have to do with multiple people taking up too much bandwidth, it happens when i'm home alone or when my friends are online too.

power, thermal or software

what psu are you using?
what temps (using hwmon)
what os, ram total and antivirus?

corsair tx650W. only temp i've been tracking is gpu, which doesn't break 60C. Windows 7 64 bit, 4gb and AVG antivirus.

and this problem is online, i beat the single player within the first week and didn't have this problem online at the same time. i first started this game on a laptop running a 9600mGT. according to evga precision, this card ran the game at 90+C and never had this issue. then i built my new comp and the patch for BO came out soon after, then i noticed this problem, catch is that i was working a lot and not playing around this time so i don't remember if i built my comp and played black ops online with my new rig before the patch and got this problem or got it after the patch. should i try the single player on my rig to see if it happens during that?

TRENDING THREADS