Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts down unexpectedly

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2011 6:45:07 PM

For some reason My new pc that i just built a few days ago will at random shut down for no apparent reason. This is the build:
AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8 GHz 4000 MHz Socket AM3 Quad core
MSI 790FX-GD70 Motherboard
VGA Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5570 graphics card
1Tb WD caviar HDD
Xonar 5.1 DG sound card
Thermaltake W0319RU 850W RT
Crucial 2 x 4Gb DDR3 RAM
Anybody have any ideas why this might be happening? I thought it might be the RAM so i took one stick out and put it in a different slot and thought i had solved the problem but it once again shut down unexpectedly a few minutes ago.
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 28, 2011 7:04:21 PM

What exactly is happening when the machine shuts down? Do you get a BSOD or does it just turn off? Does it immediately restart, or do you have to turn it on again? Does it happen when you do something specific, like when using a certain program?

The thoughts I have are that it could be insuffient cooling (over heating), bad RAM or a bad PSU.

Overheating is the most likely culprit, assuming you don't get a BSOD. The solution to this is to get more cooling to the CPU, either by adding case fans or an aftermarket heatsink. You should check what temps you're getting by running a program like Prime95 and any CPU temp monitor together for about an hour. Anything under 70 C is safe.

The second most likely cause is bad RAM, either in the settings or the actual sticks. If you get a BSOD, this is the most likely cause. The first thing I'd do is verify that the sticks are set to the exact manufacturer's recommendations in the BIOS. If that fixes the issue, you don't need to do anything else. If it doesn't, download MemTest86+ and burn it to a CD. Then reboot and let it run overnight or through at least 7 passes. If everything passes, the RAM is fine.

The third issue is that Thermaltake PSUs are pretty low quality. I wouldn't be surprised if the unit is defective and not providing enough power. This is more likely if you're using a resource intensive program when it crashes. However, it's not that likely, as 850W is massive overkill for what you're doing. It would have to be a major defect to not be able to provide enough power to the machine. The only real way to test this is by replacing it with parts you know are good. Either put the PSU into another working build, or replace it with a good one.
m
l
February 28, 2011 7:24:40 PM

I dont get a BSOD when it turns off. it simply just turns off and i have to press the power button multiple times before it will start up again. this problem began when i installed CCC. about 5 minutes after installing CCC it shut off and had to press the power button multiple times. Ive uninstalled CCC to see if that will fix the problem. while turning the pc on sometimes it will go all the way to the windows password screen and then shut off, other times it will shut off after POST and/or simply turn off seconds after the fans have kicked on. I will try the suggestions posted above and get back to you.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 28, 2011 8:38:41 PM

Hmmm... try this for me. Assuming you're on Windows 7 (I don't think it makes a difference, anyway), right click on My Computer. Go to Properties, and then click "Advanced System Settings" along the left side. You should already be there, but if not, go to the Advanced tab, and then go to the Startup and Recovery Settings. Uncheck the box that says "Automatically Restart" under System Failure.

That doesn't really sound like your problem, but it's worth a try. If it BSOD's instead of just shuts down, then you may be making progress.

If not, then I'm out of ideas. It doesn't really sound like a RAM problem to me, nor a PSU issue. A bad PSU, I thought, wouldn't be so quick to recover from a shutdown like this, if at all... I've always known them to either go out completely or just kind of sputter along. It's possible, though...
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 28, 2011 9:16:04 PM

When you press the power button to restart, does anything turn on (fans, lights, etc.)? The fact that it doesn't immediately restart, it sounds more like an over heating issue. The computer won't immediately restart because the CPU is still too hot. Once it cools off for a few seconds, it will allow you to boot it up again.

I agree that it doesn't sounds like a PSU or RAM issue.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 28, 2011 11:52:46 PM

Download and run OCCT and run the CPU and GPU tests.

It will log temps and voltages throughout the test and even if it shuts down PC, the graphs will still be there when ya log back in. Look for any voltage variation > 3% and any temps that are known to make your CPU / GPU unhappy

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 28, 2011 11:57:51 PM

I have to agree with MadAdmiral - it sounds a lot like an overheating issue. It shuts down to protect itself, takes a while to cool back down, and then lets you power it up. Do you have CPUID HWMonitor? If not, can you get it and give us the idle temperatures on your rig? HWMon is probably the most low-profile, non intrusive program I've used yet... easily my favorite, and definitely the easiest to understand. /opinion
m
l
March 1, 2011 4:20:46 AM

ok soo i ran prime 95 and the CPU monitor mad admiral suggested for 6 hrs and the pc nvr shut down, the temps never went into anything dangerous at all. I just now used HWmontior and the idle for everything was in the 20's +/- 3. My fans are running 100% anywhere between 3225-3253 RPM. I decided not to run OCCT since it appears to me its gonna give me the same info as the other test i ran. But if yall want me to still run OCCT then ill run it no problem. But really right now i think it has to do with CCC being installed on my pc...idk why it would cause this sorta problem but thats the only thing i can think of considering i nvr had problems bfore installing it or aftr i installed it a few hours ago.
m
l
!