Sign in with
Your question

Thermaltake Frio RAM Slots

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
February 28, 2011 7:03:44 PM

Hi. Im new to all this so bear with me.
I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev 2.0 Motherboard) and I have also bought the Dominator® GT with DHX Pro Connector and Airflow II Fan — 12GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit. I was wondering because of the Airflow fan with the RAM. What is a reasonable CPU cooler I can purchase?
February 28, 2011 7:12:29 PM

You can leave the fan off the RAM. You don't actually need to provide much cooling for the RAM itself.

That said, the Dominator sticks, in addition to being massively overpriced, are absolutely huge. If you've got the 3x4 GB kit, you'd do better to move them into the second group of slots. That would give you enough room to install just about any HSF. I'd suggest the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, as it can't be beat in terms of value.

If you've got the 6x2 GB kit, you're in a bit more trouble. You'll need to make do with smaller coolers that don't hang over the RAM slots. I think the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus should fit the bill.
Anonymous
February 28, 2011 7:15:49 PM

Thanks alot. Yeah they are exceptionally big sticks. Sweet, i didnt know if the Airflow II fan was essential. I will take a look at the cooler you mentioned :) 

February 28, 2011 7:21:39 PM

It's not essentially if you have a case with at least decent airflow. Consider that the majority of sticks run extremely stable without having a half inch of extra heatspreader and without a fan, so the Dominators should be fine with the fan.
!