Sign in with
Your question

Reliability

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2010 9:38:54 PM

In terms of reliability and performance of cards which of these two brands are better Geforce or ATI Radeon???.......And cards of which of these manufacturers are better Asus, XFX or EVGA considering the reliability of cards??

More about : reliability

a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 12:06:50 AM

Thats all opinion--ati cards run hotter usually but same build quality

xfx, evga have a life time warranty on most of there cards.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 1:00:19 AM

Generally speaking, nVidia card runs a bit hotter than ATI cards. Here's a small sampe:

Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-h...

Reliability is subjective and all cards are manufacture by just a handful of OEMs who slaps on the appropriate for their customer (Diamond, Asus, Zotac, Sapphire, PowerColor, etc...). PC Partners is one such OEM (they own Sapphire) and Pine Tech is another OEM (they own XFX).

It all boils down to the warranty, customer service and any "extras" included in the package.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 1:02:20 AM

I was talking more about the 4000 series radeons

jaguarskx said:
Generally speaking, nVidia card runs a bit hotter than ATI cards. Here's a small sampe:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/radeon-hd6870-hd6850/hd6800_temp.png

Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-h...

Reliability is subjective and all cards are manufacture by just a handful of OEMs who slaps on the appropriate for their customer (Diamond, Asus, Zotac, Sapphire, PowerColor, etc...). PC Partners is one such OEM (they own Sapphire) and Pine Tech is another OEM (they own XFX).

It all boils down to the warranty, customer service and any "extras" included in the package.

m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 1:15:16 AM

cia24 said:
I was talking more about the 4000 series radeons

Well, you didn't specify and people generally prefer to buy more current cards. However, ATI managed to resolve the issue with the release of the HD 4890....

Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/bfg-gf-g...
m
l
December 27, 2010 7:16:41 AM

Considering the Physx and Cuda technologies of Nvidia, Would u recommend ati or nvidia?
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 9:45:36 AM

dani_bbb12 said:
Considering the Physx and Cuda technologies of Nvidia, Would u recommend ati or nvidia?

It would be much easier for us to give you a considered usefull answer if you gave us some more info on what it is you are looking for.
Specifically things that are going to make a differance would be. Whats the rest of your PC specs and what do you mainly use it for ?
When you are talking about PhysX and Cuda differant performance levels of card are more suited to running PhysX than others. if your looking at a midrange card, something like a GTX 460 then its going to take a pretty big FPS hit with PhysX enabled, but would be for the most OK. Anything below that say a 450 I wouldnt consider PhysX as i dont beleive the card is really good enough to implement it properly.

As for reliability, what jaguarskx posted is pretty spot on its all down to what you want and need, coupled with warranty/bundle. Of the makes you listed i wouldnt pick one over the other on a build quality basis.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 3:48:44 PM

Perhaps you will find some of your answers here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

where you will note the two "tie" in just about every category from $100 up. They two designs vary considerably but both result in a similar price performance ratio. Those concerned about how much electricity their PC uses will lean ATI. You have to ask yourself the same question car enthusiasts do ..... how concerned am you about mpg in your hot rod ?

The GTX 470 burns for example burns about 230 watts, it's "tie" in the above article, the 6870, burns 176 watts (using Antec PSU Calculator). Assuming you use your PC 7.5 hours a day on weekends and 3 hours a day on weekdays, that equates to 30 hours/week x 4 weeks / month x 50% assumed average load x (230 - 176) watts/1000 watts per kw x $0.10 per Kh/hr = $0.32 per month ..... not exactly anything to get excited about IMO.

For gaming, it's hard to fault either choice. Though to my mind, all things being equal, comparing the ATI exclusives and the nVidia exclusives, I gotta lean nVidia. As THG says in its Batman review, once you have turned on PhysX, you're not going to turn it off.

Outside of gaming, if you're into CAD, Adobe CS5 and other programs that benefit from CUDA, nVidia is the easy choice.

As to vendor choices, I tend to lean to Asus, XFX and EVGA. However I'm a bit soured on EVGA of late as I have been battling with them on one build with regard to a factory overclocked card that stopped running at it's factory OC after about 2 months.

m
l
a c 595 U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 4:25:35 PM

According to Guru3d, a GTX470 will cost around $1.70 more per month in electricity than the 6870; playing games 4 hours per day, 5 days per week.
m
l
December 27, 2010 7:42:02 PM

Thanks alot guys :) !!!

Basically specs of my pc are Core i5 3.2ghz, Asus P7H55-V Board, Cooler master 460Watt Extreme power Psu, 4 gb ram @1333mhz, WD green 1tb, 7.1 audigy sound card......Now tell me which of these cards can I go for gtx460 gts450 hd5770 considering the power supply I have....This psu has two 12v rails giving 18A each and one pci e 6pin connector...

I use my pc for games and movies mostly
m
l
December 27, 2010 7:44:40 PM

I can go for gtx460 with the budget I have but if I have to change psu for that then I can't afford to change psu and card at the same time..
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 7:48:01 PM

With that PSU the card you would want to run would be the 5770. The 460 is the best card hands down but that needs 2 Pcie cables and you only have 1.

m
l
a c 595 U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 9:11:44 PM

Your power supply wattage is good for a GTX 460. If you don't have enough PCIe cables, you can likely use an adapter that comes with the PSU or the video card.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 12:11:29 AM

17seconds said:
Your power supply wattage is good for a GTX 460. If you don't have enough PCIe cables, you can likely use an adapter that comes with the PSU or the video card.

No its really not. The PSU has 26 Amps on its +12v rails, you need more than that for a x1950 pro and cobbling together another PCIE cable really isnt a good idea either.
There are plenty of good PSU's out there that i would have no hesitation in using a 2 x Molex adaptor on to get the extra PCIE cable but this is not one of them.

m
l
December 28, 2010 12:39:04 AM

But I have checked evga gtx460 web page it says u need a total of 24amp on 12v rail so basically what matto 17secs might be suggesting is that in my psu 18amp will be provided from the pci e 6pin connector and another 6amp can be gained from 4pin to 6pin converter am I right? I guess that should be enough for the specs that I have on my pc....please give me the final word as I don't have much knowledge on this particular issue
m
l
December 28, 2010 1:15:31 AM

Evga site also says that I require a min of 450watts psu
m
l
December 28, 2010 1:17:46 AM

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3686... ..... This is tha psu that I have....please check it out and tell me that can I go for gtx460 with the specs that I have on my pc...I am more leaning towards this card because everyone is suggesting that this is the best card for the bucks I have to spend
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 1:24:00 AM

For me it boils down to two items:

Nvidia has PhysX. Very few games support GPU accelerated PhysX, so it's something that depends on your games to decide if you want.

ATI has better AA options. Supersampling in particular is awesome, but I find I can't use it in a lot of games either due to the game not supporting it, or it's too demanding. ATI also has Morphilogical AA for games without any AA options.

For me, I own one game with GPU accelerated PhysX support, and I find that one looks as good without as with (parts of it was good, parts of it was bad in Sacred 2). I own two games I like Supersampling AA in, and they look a lot better. I also have several games without AA support, that Morphilogical AA works with.

I would choose ATI's new 6000 cards. Your games and needs may vary.

In past experience, I'd consider Nvidia slightly more reliable, although I generally have more crashes with Nvidia (seems Steam data shows the same).
m
l
a c 595 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 2:38:50 AM

dani_bbb12 said:
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3686... ..... This is tha psu that I have....please check it out and tell me that can I go for gtx460 with the specs that I have on my pc...I am more leaning towards this card because everyone is suggesting that this is the best card for the bucks I have to spend

I'm going to say a Coolermaster Extreme Power 460 watt PSU with 18 Amps on each of two 12 volt rails will be enough. I'm not a PSU expert, but that is a solid brand.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 8:37:36 PM

17seconds said:
According to Guru3d, a GTX470 will cost around $1.70 more per month in electricity than the 6870; playing games 4 hours per day, 5 days per week.

The amount varies depending on how much you pay per KWH. In NYC it's approximately $0.20 per KWH. In Hawaii I believe it is approximately $0.44 per KWH. The national average is roughly $0.11 per KWH.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 8:42:26 PM

Asus and the EVGA provides 3 year warranties on those specific cards.

I don't know who has better customer services; maybe someone else can tell you.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 8:47:35 PM

17seconds said:
I'm going to say a Coolermaster Extreme Power 460 watt PSU with 18 Amps on each of two 12 volt rails will be enough. I'm not a PSU expert, but that is a solid brand.

Except for their higher end PSUs (generally over $100+ and only specific ones), Coolermaster PSUs are at best average.
m
l
a c 595 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 8:57:11 PM

I would get the Asus DirectCU for it's excellent cooler, which is effective and quiet. The EVGA one is an "External Exhaust" model, which will produce slightly lower case temperatures, but will also be slightly louder. The Asus is clocked at reference (675 mhz), while the EVGA is at 720 mhz. If you are willing to overclock yourself, the Asus will perform just as fast at the EVGA (if not, the EVGA will be faster).

Asus:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_460...

EVGA:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
m
l
a c 595 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 9:01:55 PM

jaguarskx said:
The amount varies depending on how much you pay per KWH. In NYC it's approximately $0.20 per KWH. In Hawaii I believe it is approximately $0.44 per KWH. The national average is roughly $0.11 per KWH.

Those are great numbers. The ones that Guru3d uses are for power in the Netherlands, which must be much higher than anywhere in the U.S. The main point is, if anyone is using power consumption for their buying decision, the difference between 150 watts and 350 watts on a monthly basis is basically less than a single McDonald's Big Mac, not even the combo meal, just the sandwich alone.
m
l
!