Solved

Config and options question on Gaming PC

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2011 7:40:28 PM

I have been researching this for awhile and am looking for input on a system I have configured to be used for gaming mainly, and I hope to be able to upgrade it as new parts come out.

I realize that I am paying a few hundred dollars for someone to put this together for me but I work alot and this seems like a pretty good deal. I do have some technical knowledge if I have to tinker with it afterward.

Are the options worth it? Such as pro wiring $19, noise reduction $49, other upgrades?

This is what I found on Ibuypower:

Gamer Paladin E860

Case 1 x CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Case-Black
Case Lighting 1 x Cold Cathode Neon Light-Blue
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction 1 x Basic - iBUYPOWER Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System-Reduce System Noise
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive 1 x PowerDrive Level 2 - Up to 20% Overclocking
Processor Cooling 1 x Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155 & 1156]-Enermax Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
Memory 1 x 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1333 Memory Module-** FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1600 ** Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 2GB-Single Card
Motherboard 1 x [SLI] Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4
Power Supply 1 x 850 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-850TX
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 64 GB ADATA S501 V2 SATA-III SSD-Single Drive
Data Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s-Single Drive
Optical Drive 1 x [12X Blu-Ray] Pioneer BLU-RAY Re-Writer, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive-Black
Meter Display 1 x NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller & Temperature Display
Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card 1 x [$69 - $20 Instant off = $49] Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card
Operating System 1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel)-64-Bit
Keyboard 1 x iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard-Black
Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse
Warranty 1 x Standard Warranty Service-Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support
Advanced Build Options 1 x Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower-Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis
Advanced Build Options 1 x Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower-Basic Pro Wiring
Subtotal $1,976.00

More about : config options question gaming

February 28, 2011 8:00:24 PM

I am struggling to see why this system costs almost 2 grand... Especially since it only has a 560 Ti.

Do you really need the Meter Display, will you ever look at it?
You dont need that Network card, it doesnt do anything, use your onboard one.
I dont know what type of liquid cooling system they use but it is probably junk, better to invest in a decent air cooler.
What is power drive? Yhey OC your system for you? You could do that yourself in a few minutes, even if you dont know how just ask here.

I would also suggest dropping down to a 2500k, and less RAM. 8Gigs is overkill, 4-6 would be much more cost effective unless you are doing alot of photoshop.

As for upgradeability Who knows how long that processor socket will be around, maybe just another 2 years.

Personally I think you are spending way to much on the prebuilt machine for its performance.

I have had mixed results on iBuyPower build quality. My first build was from them, some of the system components were actually disconnected or half plugged in, I opened up my case to fix that before I ever turned it on, It probably would have been pretty bad if I didn't.
m
l
February 28, 2011 8:26:10 PM

^ Actually, the Killer Xeno Pro can increase performance in some situations, namely certain MMOs. Of course if you don't play the MMOs that this card displays a benefit in, or if your network connection blows, then there is no point ^_^. Overall I say you can build it better cheaper. If you want them to build it for you though I say drop down to a 2500K instead as you can adjust the overclock yourself. The only thing I like is the warranty since your SATA ports might die down the road so you can get it replaced latter, but still get to enjoy Sandybridge now without worrying about it. They do have to fix that darn Cougar point after all.
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2011 9:31:59 PM

Add a second 560 Ti on the build from the factory. That will keep you in a position to play anything for a 2 to 3 years.

If you wait a year to buy that 2nd 560 Ti, they likely won't be available to purchase any more. Just look at the lifetime of ATI 5000 series one year and OUT of Stock. Who will install it? And, does the motherboard in that system you bought actually support a second video card?

I've built more than a dozen systems for friends and co-workers for free. But most everyone wants a warranty and 24x7 tech support so, many just opt for a factory pre-built system and SOOO, they pay the big mark ups......

m
l

Best solution

February 28, 2011 10:31:25 PM

I understand you're busy, but you can build a rig that will perform better in games than this one for much much much less. Water cooling the Sandy Bridge processors isn't necessary. They seem to overclock fairly high on air. For gaming, an i5 2500k will be more than enough. On your own, I'd suggest putting together something like:

i5 2500k ($230)
ASUS P8P67 PRO ($190)
GTX 570 ($315 AR)
G.Skill 4 GB RAM kit ($70)
Corsair 850 TX ($120 AR)
HAF 922 ($100)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB ($65)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OEM ($100)

Total: $1190

The motherboard will allow SLI in the future and the PSU will handle it. If you don't need these options, downgrade the PSU to a quality 650 W and change the motherboard to Gigabyte UD3P.

If you have hesitations about building it yourself, you can always watch youtube videos and read guides. You can literally do it in 2 hours.
February 28, 2011 11:22:53 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I don't have much of either but I have a little more money than time so...
I am still somewhat considering building it. Without the watercooling it would be easier I think? That and the simplify to a single HD and I could do it.

But, does anyone recommend another vendor anyway?

I had the 850w power to add a second gpu later.

Is the i7 950 better to go with then?

Yes, I play WoW.

The 570 is a good upgrade then eh?

Thanks!
m
l
March 1, 2011 11:23:46 PM

The new Sandy Bridge is faster than the i7-900 series in just about every bench mark. And, the motherboard to support it, once they fix the chip set problem is much cheaper that an X58 chip set MB need for the i7-900 series.

The 560 Ti is very good, but just one isn't really enough. A pair is an absolute killer for about $500.....

I you ONLY buy one car, the 570 will do better. And of course 2 will be outrageous is you plan on spending < $700 on video cards.
m
l
March 2, 2011 12:23:30 AM

Do I need to wait for the chipset problem to be fixed?

I can do 2 570's right now if it is the best way to go. :) 
m
l
March 2, 2011 1:13:39 AM

The vendors stopped selling motherboards so you'll have to wait till the ones with the corrected chips are out and refill the supply pipeline....
m
l
March 9, 2011 1:40:04 PM

Best answer selected by RockM_44.
m
l
!