Sign in with
Your question

System freeze after GPU upgrade!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2010 10:39:00 PM

Hello! I upgraded my graphics card & power supply and now my system freezes constantly.My old PSU was 300W and my old GPU was Radeon HD4350 512MB.My new PSU is 750W and my new GPU is Radeon HD5750 1GB. I have an HP Pavillion Elite Desktop with Intel Q8600 @ 2.66GHZ and OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. After the PSU & GPU upgrade I installed the latest Driver version from AMD website. My Microsoft Flight Simulator X runs much better, but my system overall seems to be slower and constantly freezes and locks up. After a freeze nothing I do has any effect, so I have to unplug the power cord, wait a minute and plug back in and restart Windows.
Thank You for any help, MATT
December 27, 2010 4:17:49 AM

my problem was kinda similar to urs i got a gtx460 but my system seem to lag more and contantly freeze so i uninstalled the old drivers with driver sweeper and had to reboot to safe mode to get the picture back and reinstalled the new driver again once restarted i overclocked my q8300 @2.5 gigs to 3.48gigs (1824 in the fbs area in ya bios depending on what ya have) used a cooler master 212+ with shin itsu paste and its never locked or slow down again and im running a SLI with the 460's and a 650watt psu from corsiar hope this helps :) 
m
l
December 27, 2010 9:17:07 AM

Have you monitored your cpu temp? Or your gpu temp? Check if overheating is the problem. You can oc that Q8400 easily to 3.2ghz to get more out of it but used an aftermarket cpu cooler for better heat dissipation.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 9:58:46 AM

brand of psu?

uninstall all video drivers and get the latest drivers from ati's website
m
l
December 27, 2010 2:20:42 PM

It'll help to figure out which piece of hardware is most likely to blame. Plug in the old video card with the new PSU and see if it still freezes.
m
l
December 30, 2010 8:22:12 PM

macdawg said:
Hello! I upgraded my graphics card & power supply and now my system freezes constantly.My old PSU was 300W and my old GPU was Radeon HD4350 512MB.My new PSU is 750W and my new GPU is Radeon HD5750 1GB. I have an HP Pavillion Elite Desktop with Intel Q8600 @ 2.66GHZ and OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. After the PSU & GPU upgrade I installed the latest Driver version from AMD website. My Microsoft Flight Simulator X runs much better, but my system overall seems to be slower and constantly freezes and locks up. After a freeze nothing I do has any effect, so I have to unplug the power cord, wait a minute and plug back in and restart Windows.
Thank You for any help, MATT

it's old news I have the same problem sent my ref card back picked up visiontek Hd5870 thought I was getting ref card got a totally different design at amazon but had trouble with all drivers but new card is stable with 10.6 which came with my card. type HD5870 problem on your webpage you will see there's been a problem since the cards came out back sept 2009
m
l
!