O/S on separate hard drive

Rob0142

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Hello; Probably a stupid question, but I just need to verify once and for all. What I would like to do;
1. Windowd 7 64 bit on Velociraptor drive (smallest size available)
2.programs and many games on Western Digital 1 TB drive
3. Backup on 3rd drive

questions;
1. I realize I'll have to go through a wrath of you know what since my O/s is OEM but I am sure after telling them of HD failure all will be ok.
2. Is there anything special I have to do to obtain this feature,ie, boot program on second drive ect. or just regular drive installation and install command games to 2nd drive?
3.I realize the O/S will boot quicker but how about the communication between the two drives? Will my games and programs on 2nd drive suffer a lesser speed because of the interaction between drives or will it be the same?
System;
Home Build
Coolermaster Haf X
Asus P5N72-T Premium
Intel Q9650
8 GB Crucial Ballistic Tracer @ 800mhz
WD 1001 FALS 1tb HD primary
Seagate 500 GB backup drive
Coolermaster V6GT cooler
2700 rpm 110 cfm vga fan + 210mm side fan
2 EVGA GTX480 SLI

If you haven't purchased the VRaptor, DON'T. Invest in a SSD (probably the same price or cheaper for 64GB), as the read speeds will be much faster - which is exactly what you want in a boot drive.

Other than that, you can install W7 on one drive, and just install everything else to the second drive (what almost everyone with a SSD boot drive is doing). I created separate directories for games and work programs, as well as downloads and documents (which you can add to the libraries on the sidebar in Explorer).

You shouldn't experience any noticeable changes in speed (logically, I would think it to be faster).