Serious gfx issue - causing crash, need help

cunningStunts

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Okay here's what is going on. I've recently been having overheating problems with my geforce 8800GT superclocked GPU. It's getting up to around 90* C and then (usually while playing a game) cuts to a screen filled with either red or green streaks and dots, sometimes it's just plain black, and stays there untill I manually turn off the PC.

I just installed an old card (geforce 7900GT overclocked) and the drivers for it aswell, and it is still doing the same thing.

Could this mean it's not the video card making my computer lock at these screens? Maybe it could be a memory problem instead?

Please throw out any ideas, need all the help I can get. Thanks to everyone who looks!

D

Deleted member 362816

I had that happen to me one time while using a XXX GTX 9800 1gb i send my asus motherboard back to asus and they said the pciE slot was going bad.

cunningStunts

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Oh please don't say that! :( Would there be a way to test my pciE slot? It would make sence, but god I really hope this isn't the issue!

Also, I've been in safe mode for an hour or so and haven't had any problems. Any reason for this?

D

Deleted member 362816

Safe mode to my understanding doesn't use the full power of the pcie slot or the graphics drives which is why things look horrible in safe mode.

D

Deleted member 362816

I was in my warranty so it was free. the people at asustek are good they might fix it for free you pay shipping give them a call tomorrow:)