Solved

Motherboard advice Bigest and Best

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2011 10:50:19 PM

Hi everyone , I heard about a Motherboard that is the biggest one out there and has a lot attachments and there are a handful of towers that will hold them . Does anyone know the name of it and is it a good one ? I just finished my sons build and I want something different . His has a coolmaster HAF full tower , a intel core i7950 bloomfeild cpu , asus x58 sabertooth motherboard , two msi 460gtx cyclones , 65GB ssd , 1TB barracuda , asus dvd burner/writer , LG blueray disk Bronze 1000W powersupply . His runs great and without all of your help I wood not have been able to undertake this job so thanks and I will put pics up after I get mine done . I have the same case and I have two EVGA GeForce superclocked 560gtx Ti video cards , I was going to use the sandybridge but it has a call back so I was going to use the i7 bloomfeild too , but I didnt like the x58 sabertooth so does anyone have suggestions on cpu and motherboard like that big one I was told about ? I want mine to be nicer lol its a dad thing ... :sol:  thanks.. any thing you have to suggest wil help me with mine

More about : motherboard advice bigest

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2011 12:04:07 AM

Are you referring to the EVGA SR-2 Extended ATX (E-ATX) motherboard? It can support 2 Xeon (LGA 1366 - same socket as the i7-900s) CPUs.

There are some other i7-900 E-ATX boards like the Gigabyte UD9.
m
l
March 1, 2011 9:35:53 AM

I dont know what it is called but I will look that one up , is there any other suggestions that you or anyone else can give me ? And thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2011 10:00:06 AM

Those are both very expensive. And i am wondering why you would need so much power. I mean its up to you but for home use even heavy gaming I think it would be a waste of money. I mean if you want to be different Make a water cooled set up in a custom case. Get a triple sli board from evga or gigabyte. Run 3 580gtxs.
I guess if you just want to spend money and run high bench marks it would be good for that but unless you can utilize the power whats the use.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2011 11:57:35 AM

sappy4623 said:
I want mine to be nicer lol its a dad thing ... :sol:  thanks.. any thing you have to suggest wil help me with mine

Even if every other aspect of your machines was the same, your video cards are better in every respect (faster, less power/heat/noise).

You could go with a faster CPU in the same family (I7 990x - six core), but that's $1000 just for the CPU for the love of god. And it's likely to be the last CPU (or at least highest performing) that they ever release for the LGA1366 socket. The performance gains in that family of processors are starting to diminish for normal users because nothing that the typical user does will really take advantage of the extra cores.
The next round of those super high end chips will use the LGA2011 socket and X68 chipset... but that's probably not going to be available until Christmas at best. So if you went with a I7 9XX you would be left with no CPU upgrade path on that motherboard. It's possible that doesn't bother you, for some people the price of CPU and GPU is so high that they don't blink at replacing a motherboard anyway.

Personally, I would pick up on the advantage you already have with your graphics cards and build on that advantage by taking all of those factors into consideration (speed/power/heat/noise).
For me that would mean waiting a couple of weeks to get a Sandy Bridge motherboard + I7 2600K to go with your pair of GTX 560 Ti's.
Not only would that out-perform his rig, it would do it with less power (and noise), so you could even drop down from his bigger (louder, hotter) 1kw power supply down to a nice 850 unit.

So you've saved money on the CPU (~ $300 for I7 2600K vs ~$1000 for I7 990x six core), and on the Power Supply, and on electricity every day. Take that money and buy an insane monitor or some surround sound headphones (either one of which you would notice more than a slightly faster CPU).

Or better yet, take the money that you WOULD have spent on this build and buy your son a dirt bike. Might I suggest a nice used KLX-250... since it's street legal and readily available used. If he's too young for the street, then you can get something else (purely for off-road) much cheaper.
Then I promise you he won't be sitting around on his computer so you can simply use his PC (since it really is an incredible system already and doesn't require any upgrades).

Best of luck.

a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2011 12:20:05 PM

Also the sandy bridge is supposed to be compatable with the ivybridge proccesors so you would be able to keep upgrading a sandybridge system. If you don't have to build right this minute you could wait for the sandybridge Z68 systems boards to come out and build off of it. The 1366 chipset is about peaked out so Id wait for a X68 if you can tolerate the wait or wait a little more for the 2011 chipset and build from that.
Sandy bridge should start showing up again in the next 2-3 weeks for the b3 stepping fixed chipset. If you really can't wait.
m
l
March 1, 2011 6:33:21 PM

thanks to all of you for your answers , so the sandybridge is the next big thing ? and its also good ideas about the moniter getting a better one . Mainly I just wanted something great that I can keep around and upgrade when new things come along . By the way he has a four wheeler out here but thanks anyway lol.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2011 8:05:25 PM

sappy4623 said:
thanks to all of you for your answers , so the sandybridge is the next big thing ?

The second generation I7 core chips (designated w/ a 4-digit number starting w/ 2xxx) are the next 'better' thing.
When people talk about Sandy Bridge they're generally referring to the first wave of those CPUs to become available, which use the LGA1155 socket and P67 chipset... the I7 2600k that was recommended above is in that group. I wouldn't call them the next 'big' thing... because we've already been told that they're not the 'extreme edition' of their generation. But they're a hell of a lot cheaper, use less power, and offer the chance of future upgrades w/ same motherboard. There are a lot of things that the I7 990X would do better than any current Sandy Bridge offering... but games aren't really one of them and the benefits you get from the 990x (IMO) are outweighed by the cost and dead-end nature of that CPU socket type.

(link to compare 980x to 2600k, highlight each and then hit 'compare' button for details)
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2...[4470]=on&prod[4785]=on

The next 'big' thing (at least from Intel) for high end users is going to be the next generation of extreme editions using the new form factor (that's the LGA2011 socket with X68 chipset mentioned earlier) but those are not available yet.
m
l
March 2, 2011 5:51:46 PM

Best answer selected by sappy4623.
m
l
March 2, 2011 5:54:27 PM

CopaMundial said:
The second generation I7 core chips (designated w/ a 4-digit number starting w/ 2xxx) are the next 'better' thing.
When people talk about Sandy Bridge they're generally referring to the first wave of those CPUs to become available, which use the LGA1155 socket and P67 chipset... the I7 2600k that was recommended above is in that group. I wouldn't call them the next 'big' thing... because we've already been told that they're not the 'extreme edition' of their generation. But they're a hell of a lot cheaper, use less power, and offer the chance of future upgrades w/ same motherboard. There are a lot of things that the I7 990X would do better than any current Sandy Bridge offering... but games aren't really one of them and the benefits you get from the 990x (IMO) are outweighed by the cost and dead-end nature of that CPU socket type.

(link to compare 980x to 2600k, highlight each and then hit 'compare' button for details)
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2...[4470]=on&prod[4785]=on

The next 'big' thing (at least from Intel) for high end users is going to be the next generation of extreme editions using the new form factor (that's the LGA2011 socket with X68 chipset mentioned earlier) but those are not available yet.

Thanks for everything .
m
l