Gateway lx6810-01 motherboard

litrite

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Hello,

I was told the mb was dead. I want to fix it myself
How difficult is this for a non-pro?
I looked at support sites and they don't give instructions for this model.
what is a good replacement part?

Chris Kenway

Only item you may be able to replace is bad caps (capacitors). They're fairly cheap. But many other issues are possible, so I wouldn't do this except for fun or as a learning excercise. I worked on a printed wire board line; printed wire boards are multi-layered, so internal problems can't be addressed.

litrite

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Thanks, by fix it, I meant replace the motherboard. I looked on Gateway help sites and they show how the mb can simply be pulled out through an open side of the casing, but the LX6810 does not open up like that. The internal metal casing stays put once you have the outer stuff off so you will need to lift it out. I think this may be why they told me just to buy a new machine.
But, I got time now, and would love to replace it myself.
I'm going to see a guy today to check that the MB really does need replacing and get his recommendations on parts and method.
Any further ideas would be most welcome.
Thanks again

litrite

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
OK, thank you very much, I appreciate the help. The question is why did the person we took it to say it'd cost so much that we'd be better of buying a new computer?
I mean he could have charged us say, $150, $175, even $195, and we'd have said ok and he'd have done OK out of it wouldnt he?

Because you're spending about $100 for a used motherboard with little or no warranty. You can take the same $100 and get a complete system on craigslist. I tried to link a dell vostro with dual core Intel cpu and 2 gb of ram, but the link won't post. I find those deals on craigslist all the time.

litrite

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Well thanks everyone for your input.
However I invested $35 in having it checked by someone else: he said the whole damn thing was fried save the DVD and HD.

So that's that, and thnaks again.