Sign in with
Your question

Low Budget Semi Gaming With Part Restrictions

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2011 11:30:31 PM

Alright, I'm planning on building a new PC that I can use to play mostly RTS games and simple FPS, as well as minecraft :D  . Also I'm planning on running a minecraft server for my friend and I only off of it. My budget is around $650 Canadian.

My brother is an internet reviewer and he is able to get me a 400gb SSD and 8gb or ddr3 1333 so im set in that regard.

My Monitors resolution i believe is 1440x800 :sol:  so i don't need anything crazy for graphics, though i will upgrade my monitor down the road sometime.

There are a few parts that need to be used and are going in no matter what the community says for various reasons. These parts are:
Lian Li PC351b

Some sort of DVI to VGA adapter.

This is the list of parts I've chosen:
Case: Lian Li PC351b

Mobo: Asus M4A78LT Matx

CPU: AMD Phenom 2 x2 555

Ram: Not needed, my brother is getting me some for free due to his review connections

HDD: Not needed, my brother somehow managed to land me a 400gb ssd to use in this build :D 

PSU: Mushkin Volta 650w

GPU: XFX 5670 1gb

Wireless Card: ASUS USB-N13 802.11N USB2.0 Wireless Network Adapter

Monitor: Not needed as i have one around!

This comes out to $634 cdn which is a nice price for me. Please let me know what you think of this build!
March 1, 2011 3:59:23 AM

a 400 GB SSD? Wow! Thats worth more than the entire rest of the system combined (Around US$1750). You sure it's not 40 GB?

Rather than the X2 555, get an Athlon II X4 450 for just a bit more The guaranteed 4 cores is better than the L3 cache, and unlocking is not assured.

you don't need a 650WPSU for this. Get this Xigmatek 400W supply. It got a good review here on Toms back in October:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

I'd also suggest at least a GTS 450 or HD 5770 over the 5670
m
l
Anonymous
March 1, 2011 4:14:10 AM

Well is your resolution 1440*900 or 800*600 ie is your monitor 19inch or bigger or less

Instead of Mushkin 650W PSU - Get This
Antec Truepower New 650W Modular Power Supply ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready 120MM PWM Fan
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku= [...] ture=Antec

Instead of 5670 - Powercolor Radeon HD 5770 PCS+ 875MHZ 1GB 4.9GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI DP DIRECTX11 PCI-E Video Card
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku= [...] omoid=1281
Only 7$ more gives big time performance

400GB SSD - THTS COOL

Why 2 Threads
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305973-31-need-advice...
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2011 4:15:51 AM

It is a 400gb SSD :D 
Im trying to build a small matx cube to make going to LAN parties easier. Would the power supply you're suggesting run a 5770? I thought the minimum was 500 for that. I couldnt find an athlon x4 450 but I found the athlon x3 450 so I think I'll go with that. Would a 5770 really be necessary at my resolution? I'm trying to keep all my parts from NCIX because I live next door to it and I'd get free shipping, but if something awesome comes out of newegg and not ncix, I wont hesitate switching.
m
l
March 1, 2011 4:22:05 AM

First off sorry about the 2 threads, when i posted this one it didnt show up for me until I got a reply on it and by then I thought I'd made a mistake so I reposted. I'll delete that one.

I really dont know what the monitor is exactly. Its an old LCD VGA from about 6 years ago and I'm going to say its probably a low resolution.

If I order by march 2nd I'll go with the antec PSU but after that special is over I cant afford it anymore.

Im hesitant about powercolor, I've heard good things but I've also heard horror stories.
m
l
Anonymous
March 1, 2011 4:44:33 AM

allix24 said:
First off sorry about the 2 threads, when i posted this one it didnt show up for me until I got a reply on it and by then I thought I'd made a mistake so I reposted. I'll delete that one.

I really dont know what the monitor is exactly. Its an old LCD VGA from about 6 years ago and I'm going to say its probably a low resolution.

If I order by march 2nd I'll go with the antec PSU but after that special is over I cant afford it anymore.

Im hesitant about powercolor, I've heard good things but I've also heard horror stories.

If you are hesitant about Power color then go for the 5670
Its sufficient since you are playing in low resolution
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:14:25 AM

Seems like you're pretty set on your parts list.
In order to make the most of that SSD, take some time to read up a bit right here on Tom's about AHCI and TRIM so that you can make sure you have the correct Bios version and settings required.
m
l
March 1, 2011 9:22:00 AM

Hmm if u looking for a top notch cube/shoebox case i strongly suggest the Thermaltake Armor A30 due to

1. Superior cooling potential
2. Ability to slot in behemoths like Hemlock HD 5970 (12.25") so it will be a mainstay/still relevant for many upgrade cycles over the years
3. Some sites offer it at awesome prices + free ship!

Also hit

4. Modular/80+ PSUs for better cable management hence better airflow: even more so for SFF/cube builds ^^
A review
5. With the recent OCZ Vertex3 out i would hold out on an SSD purchase till the next gen Sandforce SATA 6GB/s SSDs are out in retail channels - but hit a native SATA 6GB/s + USB 3.0 via Marvell controller board i.e mATX 880G/SB 850 hehe

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/cases/8456-tt-armor...
Quote:
Reviewer's Opinion

The Thermaltake Armor A30 gaming case is perfect for the LAN party enthusiast, but it is also great for users who are simply tired of the same old tower system design. It looks unique but very functional. Despite being a micro-ATX or mini-ITX case, it is not exactly designed for HTPC use since the glowing blue LEDs and aggressive styling will most likely conflict with the typical subdued look and sound of a home theater PC in the living room. A small gaming case like the Thermaltake Armor A30 would fit well for college students living in dorms or any gamer with limited space in their apartment.

I welcome the use of a removable motherboard tray with open arms as it made installation a lot easier. The pull-out wire at the bottom rear of the tray however made it impossible for the tray to sit flat on the table unless the other end was propped up. This inconvenience is very small but I would gladly have that wire removed and have a stable motherboard tray sitting on a table instead of having it at an angle while components are being installed. Aside from that, it was very satisfying to build a system inside the Thermaltake Armor A30.

Off
http://www.bestdirect.ca/
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:37:43 PM

Hey Alix,

Somebody mentioned you should go up a tier as far as the GPU goes. If you would like I could sell you a XFX 5770. I have two spares. I just upgraded this week and my new 6950 should be here any day. Anyway let me know. I was thinking about 75 dollars for one. They both come with the waranty as XFX covers the 2nd buyer. Both work great and are less than one year old.

I'll even pay the shipping!

Shane
m
l
March 2, 2011 12:09:45 AM

shane799 said:
Hey Alix,

Somebody mentioned you should go up a tier as far as the GPU goes. If you would like I could sell you a XFX 5770. I have two spares. I just upgraded this week and my new 6950 should be here any day. Anyway let me know. I was thinking about 75 dollars for one. They both come with the waranty as XFX covers the 2nd buyer. Both work great and are less than one year old.

I'll even pay the shipping!

Shane

Dont know if you got my message but I'll buy one of those cards. Message me on how to pay and anything else.
thanks
m
l
!