BIOS related booting problem

Experimenter

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Hello,
I have been using Dell Optiplex GX1 desktop with 756MB RAM under Windows XP Professional with no problem but slow, until recently when I replaced my 3 x 256MB SDRAM modules with 2 x 512MB ones. It just gave me a blank display.

After realizing that it support only 256MB, I put them back the previous SDRAM in place, the machine just give me the options to select "Run the windows normally" etc. Whichever option I chose it always return to the Dell opening screen on and on.

Entering the BIOS setup, I change the ACIP from "Off" to "On" which I surely knew it wont boot, anyway i did that. After it cycled back to the Dell opening screen, I enter the BIOS setup again and switch back the ACIP to Off, and it boot normally.

Everytime I need to turn on my computer, I have to do the same sequence: turning the ACIP ON then turning it back OFF.

I was using A07 BIOS version. Changed to A10 did not give any help.

Please help.

mw14220

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Does your bios have a failsafe setting? Try to reset the bios with that or pull out the battery on the motherboard for 10 sec then re-install it( after grounding yourself first). If failsafe works then try optimised defaults and tweek your system from there. You could also try system restore.

Experimenter

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

Yes I had tried all possible combination order of the RAM modules.
Further, I had also tried taking out the CMOS battery.
But still the same.

Experimenter

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

Had pulled out the battery and reinstalled it, still the same.
My BIOS doesn't have the fail safe setting, but I tried setting all parameters to default, but still the same.
I did not do the System Restore, since the Windows does run well after booting, though.