Intel Core i3-2310M 2.1ghz vs AMD Phenom II Quad-Core P960 1.8ghz

Hello all,

Considering purchasing a new lappy and just wondering which cpu would be a better fit; the two machines in question are here: TOSHIBA Satellite L655D-S5164 vs HP ProBook 4430s. A comparison on newegg of the two can be found here: comparison (I threw in a Phenom dual core machine also just out of curiosity).

It will be used mainly for school work -- programming, circuit diagrams, etc. -- but as I will be commuting, it would be nice if I could do some occasional minor gaming on it. I don't expect much in that regard, just being able to play some fps's and games like Heroes of Newerth on low-med settings without any hitches would be nice.

I've heard that the Intel HD 3000 is a huge jump up from their previous line of integrated solutions, but I'm not sure how it directly compares to the ATI Radeon HD 4250; I haven't been able to find many benchmarks of the 2310m's graphics solution anywhere. That being said, I'm leaning towards the 2310m machine, as I can't see myself making use of all four cores as much as I can two higher-clocked cores, especially as the games I'd play wouldn't make use of more than two (or likely one). However, I can't decide if the two higher-clocked cores & Intel HD 3000 graphics outweigh the four slower-clocked cores & a potentially(?) faster GPU.

Any thoughts/criticisms are appreciated, thanks guys.
3 answers Last reply
More about intel core 2310m 1ghz phenom quad core p960 8ghz
  1. IMO, Intel HD 3000 is better compared to AMD Radeon HD 4250.. As for the CPU's, the i3 2310m is faster compared to the Phenom II P960 courtesy of a better architecture.. It'll match or perform better (most of the times) than the P960 across all applications..
  2. The Intel one should be quite a bit faster and have similar if not better gaming performance. I believe the HD 3000 is ~ HD5550 performance (desktop card).
  3. Awesome, thanks for the input guys. Will probably be going with the i3 2310m rig.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product