Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core i3-2310M 2.1ghz vs AMD Phenom II Quad-Core P960 1.8ghz

Last response: in CPUs
May 30, 2011 6:06:50 PM

Hello all,

Considering purchasing a new lappy and just wondering which cpu would be a better fit; the two machines in question are here: TOSHIBA Satellite L655D-S5164 vs HP ProBook 4430s. A comparison on newegg of the two can be found here: comparison (I threw in a Phenom dual core machine also just out of curiosity).

It will be used mainly for school work -- programming, circuit diagrams, etc. -- but as I will be commuting, it would be nice if I could do some occasional minor gaming on it. I don't expect much in that regard, just being able to play some fps's and games like Heroes of Newerth on low-med settings without any hitches would be nice.

I've heard that the Intel HD 3000 is a huge jump up from their previous line of integrated solutions, but I'm not sure how it directly compares to the ATI Radeon HD 4250; I haven't been able to find many benchmarks of the 2310m's graphics solution anywhere. That being said, I'm leaning towards the 2310m machine, as I can't see myself making use of all four cores as much as I can two higher-clocked cores, especially as the games I'd play wouldn't make use of more than two (or likely one). However, I can't decide if the two higher-clocked cores & Intel HD 3000 graphics outweigh the four slower-clocked cores & a potentially(?) faster GPU.

Any thoughts/criticisms are appreciated, thanks guys.
a c 81 à CPUs
May 30, 2011 7:51:35 PM

IMO, Intel HD 3000 is better compared to AMD Radeon HD 4250.. As for the CPU's, the i3 2310m is faster compared to the Phenom II P960 courtesy of a better architecture.. It'll match or perform better (most of the times) than the P960 across all applications..
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2011 8:04:11 PM

The Intel one should be quite a bit faster and have similar if not better gaming performance. I believe the HD 3000 is ~ HD5550 performance (desktop card).
m
l
May 30, 2011 8:21:35 PM

Awesome, thanks for the input guys. Will probably be going with the i3 2310m rig.
m
l
!