Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Installing a Radeon X1950Pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 27, 2010 7:47:49 AM

Hi, I'm hopefully going to be installing a X1950Pro graphics card into my system when I get it. I'm wondering if my power supply will be able to handle it. The power supply is here http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item...
I'm also wondering if someone can tell me what pci-e power adapter if any I'll need for the install. The card is a 256mb saphire radeon x1950pro. Thank you for the help.
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 9:35:44 AM

In the questions and answers section of the link you gave us it says there is no power connector for a GPU and if so then its really going to need a new PSU to power a X1950 Pro.

Mactronix :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 9:49:37 AM

generic 450w - rubbish

get a propper psu
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 173 U Graphics card
a c 85 ) Power supply
December 27, 2010 11:53:33 AM

The link you gave didn't give any info on the PSU that I saw. A no name case/PSU won't be able to power the x1950. The x1800/1900 were the first cards from ATI that needed 30A on the 12V rail. (not the lower GT versions of course.) I'm pretty sure the x1950pro needed that to.
Share
December 27, 2010 4:29:12 PM

I thought I could buy a adapter that connected to a molex connector from my and then on the other end had a 4 or 6 pin connector that would go to my card. I guess the bottom line is whether my psu has 30a on the 12v rail, does mine definitely not have 30a? thank you.
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 27, 2010 7:34:14 PM

kenbb1983 said:
I thought I could buy a adapter that connected to a molex connector from my and then on the other end had a 4 or 6 pin connector that would go to my card. I guess the bottom line is whether my psu has 30a on the 12v rail, does mine definitely not have 30a? thank you.



The connector needs 2x molex and would go to a PCIE connector for a 1950 Pro, looking at the pictures of the wires in your link i doubt you have 2 spare. the point is moot though as i really wouldnt advise you to try running the card on that PSU anyway.

Mactronix :) 
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a c 85 ) Power supply
December 27, 2010 9:59:57 PM

Agreed.
m
0
l
December 27, 2010 10:22:54 PM

If you are putting in a Sapphire Radeon, beware of failing GPU fan in less than one year. I have been having difficulties with stock fans on their cards in the last two years on client builds, and I cannot recommend them anymore. And the bigger problem is when the fan goes, by the time you find out about it, the card has overheated, fried something, and is not repairable (with a new fan). If you must install a Sapphire, then get an aftermarket GPU cooler to go with it, or you will regret it down the road. And at a minimum, check the fan speed at install, and also from time to time. If it appears to be slowing down (which I have seen)- replace the GPU cooler immediately before it is toast.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 27, 2010 10:31:23 PM

you're serious about an x1950 pro?
Are you building an old school system? I mean a $20 3450 would beat the pants off a 1950

Sorry to sound negative its just that I was surprised to see an old card like this when I just threw one away because I couldn't even give it away.
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 12:18:22 AM

popatim said:
you're serious about an x1950 pro?
Are you building an old school system? I mean a $20 3450 would beat the pants off a 1950

Sorry to sound negative its just that I was surprised to see an old card like this when I just threw one away because I couldn't even give it away.



And the really sorry thing about this is your serious. A 3650 wouldnt touch a X1950 Pro never mind a 3450 :pfff:  serious fail there.

Mactronix :) 
m
0
l
December 28, 2010 1:04:41 AM

mactronix said:
And the really sorry thing about this is your serious. A 3650 wouldnt touch a X1950 Pro never mind a 3450 :pfff:  serious fail there.

Mactronix :) 


:lol: 

Now there's a man who knows his Radeons! :bounce: 

Good catch. And true. The ATI 256 MB X1950 Pro proved to be a powerful little card for its day back in 2008, scoring better than many of Nvidia's and ATI's offerings that had TWICE the onboard RAM (512 MB):

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-char...

That's the 2008 link to the sum of FPS benchmarks totals here, which offer a pretty good overview of what a card can do across multiple games and resolutions. By today's standards we're in another league of course.

If the guy's going to put in an X1950 Pro, and knows why he's doing it, he sure could have picked worse cards. Maybe he's got a real deal on one, who knows. Like free.
m
0
l
December 28, 2010 1:11:18 AM

I was going by this chart of rankings here http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/502403-... which doesnt list the 3450 but when i did a comparison here http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=466&card2... the 3450 doesn't seem to come close to the x1950pro. I agree that I should've bought a newer model of card though. As for my psu problem, I'm either going to buy a new (better) psu or sell the card hopefully to a local guy I sell to who builds older machines for resale. I won't risk my new setup. Thank you.
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a c 85 ) Power supply
December 28, 2010 4:56:10 AM

Rubbish? I've got an X1800XT (one of the really hot ones) who's fan spins just fine. I'd sell it, but I keep telling myself I'll need to make use of its VIVO abilities sometime. When I get off my lazy butt and start doing video editing. (and yes, I know the difference between Avivo and VIVO. This card has both.)
m
0
l
December 28, 2010 11:55:19 PM

studioman22 said:
If you are putting in a Sapphire Radeon, beware of failing GPU fan in less than one year. I have been having difficulties with stock fans on their cards in the last two years on client builds, and I cannot recommend them anymore. And the bigger problem is when the fan goes, by the time you find out about it, the card has overheated, fried something, and is not repairable (with a new fan). If you must install a Sapphire, then get an aftermarket GPU cooler to go with it, or you will regret it down the road. And at a minimum, check the fan speed at install, and also from time to time. If it appears to be slowing down (which I have seen)- replace the GPU cooler immediately before it is toast.



studioman22,

I had a similar failure with a ATI Radeon X1950Pro card. It has been in service for 2 years and the fan stopped spining and the card works, but stops working after boot-up when it gets hot.

Is there an OEM replacement fan or an aftermarket GPU cooler you can recommend?

Thanks,

Stephen
m
0
l
December 29, 2010 12:27:49 AM

I'm currently running a 7600gt and I don't think my power supply can even run it. I read somewhere that if your 12v rail gives a low reading your system is under powered. I'm experiencing freezing during nba 2k11 game intros and at tip-off. My readings from cpuid are as follows:

+5v 5.03v
+12v 4.86v
-12v -9.79v
-5v -7.04v

I think they may be mis-matched because 4.86 is very low. When I ran Furmark the only think that changed was the -5v, which went to -7.10v and then back down when I closed Furmark.
m
0
l
December 29, 2010 12:33:48 AM

maneast said:
studioman22,

I had a similar failure with a ATI Radeon X1950Pro card. It has been in service for 2 years and the fan stopped spining and the card works, but stops working after boot-up when it gets hot.

Is there an OEM replacement fan or an aftermarket GPU cooler you can recommend?

Thanks,

Stephen


Honestly, I appreciate the appeal, but I will defer to others that will know more about specific GPU coolers for this card. Since I rarely attempt OC of any kind, (and if I do, it is mild) I tend not to buy much aftermarket stuff like GPU or CPU coolers- either for me or clients.

And I want to be clear that the fan failures I have seen have specifically been on Sapphire ATI/AMD cards. Not any other brand. And it may mean nothing, and may just be my little piece of reality. I am usually most manufacturer's fan boy, until they stop delivering. Asus, Gigabyte, ATI, Diamond, Sapphire, PNY, Powercolor, ANTEC, CoolerMaster, you name it. They have all let me down at one point or another with products that should have lasted longer imo. There is only one company at this point that has my full, undivided, and unimpeded endorsement at this time after 20 years of doing it.
m
0
l
January 4, 2011 11:26:14 PM

Best answer selected by kenbb1983.
m
0
l
!