Sign in with
Your question

cable for 1 monitor to connect to 2 pcs

Last response: in CPUs
May 30, 2011 7:41:57 PM

Hello,
I have a tv with the ability to connect to a computer and that is what I use. I just bought a new computer but still want to use the programs on the old one. All I want to know if there is just a simple monitor cable that has a split end so I can connect both computers to the same monitor? I do not intend on useing both computer as the same time.
a c 126 à CPUs
May 30, 2011 7:54:02 PM

While this doesn't belong in the CPU section, I can answer your question. There is no cable but you want whats called a VGA switch. Its a small box that plugs two or more PCs into it and one monitor. You press a switch and it changes to which ever computer you have on that switch.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2011 8:00:02 PM

And if you want to also use the same set of keyboard and mouse, it's called a KVM switch.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2011 10:09:31 PM

jsc said:
You can buy a two port KVM for less than $30:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
But if you want a DVI+USB one it pretty much starts at 80$ and I think most are limited to single-link DVI (resolution limited to 1920x1200) which isn't an issue for most, but still a limitation worth mentioning.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2011 11:38:14 PM

You shouldn't need anything extra...just connect one up to the DVI and the other through VGA. Whichever computer is on will be the active input.
m
l
May 31, 2011 5:04:53 AM

yes for this you need a VGA Splitter cable which cost you around 10$-15$ VAT excluded. But the main thing is that in your TV also a slot for Cable to attach.
m
l
!