Sign in with
Your question

Crazy CPU Temps

Last response: in CPUs
May 30, 2011 9:52:54 PM

I recently became interested in overclocking my E8500, so I bought a new heatsink and thermal paste from NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and Arctic Silver 5.

My case has a good amount of airflow (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) and room temp is ~70 F.

I don't know what my temps were before the new cooler, but I downloaded HWmonitor and I think my temps are extremely high. Remember, these are idle temps. What temps should I be looking at? What is a good safe temp idle/ under a load?

Is 45 C idling high? With a cooler like this, I expected temps to be in the low 30's or upper 20's.

More about : crazy cpu temps

a b à CPUs
May 31, 2011 12:59:34 AM

A lot of it will depend on the ambient temps in the room also.. That said, 44 C is kinda high on idle. I'd try resetting the cooler
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2011 1:52:19 AM

yes, it is high for an aftermarket cooler.
m
l
Related resources
a c 88 à CPUs
May 31, 2011 2:53:30 AM

with the stock cooler, that temp is not dangerous, but could be better. make sure the heatsink is seated properly and apply new thermal paste. also clean all the dust out of the heatsink.
m
l
May 31, 2011 4:31:35 AM

I thought I applied too much thermal paste the first time because I was getting these ridiculous temps. So, I cleaned, reseated, and applied less thermal paste (using the "line" method, about the amount of a pea). Nothing changed- I'm about to take it back off again, and take some pictures to make sure I'm doing everything right.

bear- Ambient room temp is 70 F / 22 C.
iam2- These are temps AFTER installing the new heatsink.

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2011 4:47:37 AM

What about under load? Stop the load if it gets ridiculous, but see if it does.
Did you overvolt at all?
m
l
May 31, 2011 5:33:07 PM

I've ran Prime95's "In-Place Large FFTs" test and my core temps maxed out at 52 C. From what I've heard isn't the maximum safe core temp 61 C? I don't think I'm in any threat of ruining my CPU but I just don't think these temps are reasonable after reading the good temp reviews on Newegg.

I have not touched the voltage at all either.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2011 6:47:07 PM

dupl1cate said:
I've ran Prime95's "In-Place Large FFTs" test and my core temps maxed out at 52 C. From what I've heard isn't the maximum safe core temp 61 C? I don't think I'm in any threat of ruining my CPU but I just don't think these temps are reasonable after reading the good temp reviews on Newegg.

I have not touched the voltage at all either.

How long did you run prime?
m
l
a c 88 à CPUs
June 1, 2011 2:36:13 AM

the max safe temp is about 80C. but if you want your cpu to last id say keep it well under 70C. up to 65C shouldnt be4 an issue at all under full prime95 load, as it will not likely see that kind of a load under normal use.
m
l
June 1, 2011 8:13:33 PM

I ran it for about 30 minutes and then just went ahead and stopped it because my temps weren't changing at all. They just stopped at 52 C and stayed there.

I'm not too worried about the CPU lasting, I'll most likely upgrade to an i5 2500K as soon as I can shell out the money. But between the new CPU, mobo, RAM, and OS (current is OEM) I'm going to have to wait a month or so.

Thanks for all the help. Wish I could figure out why these temps are so high...
m
l
June 1, 2011 9:15:21 PM

I don't understand... you're idling at 45C and your load temperature is 52C? Something isn't right.

There's no way that adding a full load only adds 7C to your CPU.
m
l
a c 147 à CPUs
June 1, 2011 10:00:48 PM

Why not? Mine idles at 36c and full load is 41c (at least at stock settings, ty cool & quiet)
m
l
June 2, 2011 9:52:29 PM

Yeah... I thought so too Quantum so I ran it again today. Ambient room temp hasn't changed but by a degree or two and now its spiking up to 59 C under the same tests I ran the other day. I don't understand this...
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
June 3, 2011 2:36:43 AM

The second set of readings sound more reasonable.

Some comments in no particular order:
The Zalman 9500 is by today's standards an excessively mediocre cooler. Admittedly, they look kind of neat. I have one - on my knick-knack shelf (bought on eBay for about $15). Something a Hiper 212+ for about $30 is a much better cooler.

Max temps for a Wolfdale or Yorkfield CPU is about 70 C. Intel say TCase is 72.4 C.

Your idle temps do look a little high, especially for a reported vcore of 1.13 volts but room ambients and case choice will make a big difference here.
m
l
!