Which Crucial RAM stick?

lenojustin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hello,

I just ordered a Lenovo ThinkPad T 420. It has 2 RAM slots and pre installed 1 stick of 4 GB. I want to increase the RAM in it.

I saw the crucial site and came up with these options:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=ThinkPad%20T420&Cat=RAM

So the questions are:
1. If i put in a Crucial RAM stick in with a lenovo RAM stick.. both are 4 GB... no problems right?
2. Once my laptop gets delivered and I find the speed of the RAM from Lenovo-10600 or 8500 or 12800 and the voltage as 1.5 or 1.35 V – any other thing I have to consider when buying the compatible crucial RAM?

Thanks in advance for your reply!
Justin

shyyk

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
1. Having two different RAM sticks could cause possible problems. I'm no expert, but from what I have heard, using two different RAM sticks sometimes causes problems with recognition and functionally. You may want to consider buying two sticks of the exact same RAM. I am no expert though so I'm not 100% sure my answer is correct. I would wait until someone more knowledgeable advises you as to what to do.

2. Once again, I'm no expert, but latency and other factors also determine how well RAM works and its compatibility. Do some research though because I may be wrong in my understanding.