Actual meaning of wings's and ship's attack settings

Hi, community!

As far as I see there are at least the following movement patterns (a part from singular pathologic bahavior)

Ships:

a) Always enter at the outer perimeter.
b) Ships move on a straight line to the middle and aproach the outer perimeter on a spiral course
c) Ships move on a straight line via the middle to the other side of the outer perimeter
d) Ships immediately begin to circle on the outer perimeter.
e) Ships choose after mooving like d) a similar course but with smaller radius
f) ship stand still after c)
g) Ship moving with increased speed after beeing hit by a LW
h) Ship tend to remain near the middle after half of the movement b) but at the end they change to b)

Wings:

Wings start somehow spreaded over the whole field

a) stay spreaded all over the field
b) immediately run to the outer perimeter and begin more or less syncronized travel a bit on the outer perimeter in two counter
acting groups and then fly through the middle either straight ahead to the other side of
c) on a round course via the center back to the outer perimeter.
d) in ground attacks one or two groups are formed acting like b) but one group follow the other.
e) some time wings move a few ticks and then they get locked to its place. I've observed this with the long range Bird or Stormer
wings. (but is was funny: they knocked out at same costs from the distance a Borg Cube)

What would you change of the following extract of the help files under current host 193?

Ships:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Attack All Enemies:

Attack enemies, ship has permission to fire first.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Flee From All Enemy Races:

Run away and do not attempt to fight
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Stay At Stand Off Range:

Try to stay at a stand off range (0 to 1000) if possible and fire at the enemy from that range.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hold The Line At Any Cost:

Do not run no matter what.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Target Soft:

Target the enemy targets that are small or soft and can quickly be destroyed. Enemy cargo pods will be targeted first.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Target Dangerous:

Target the enemy target that has the most dangerous weapons.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Strike Through:

Travel through the battle area as quickly as possible. Take one shot at enemy targets and run.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
RAM!:

Attempt to run into enemy ships
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Delay Ship (Second Wave):

Ship waits and enters battle as a part of a second attack wave
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Fire At Ground Targets:

This gives the ship permission to fire on enemy ground bases even if they do not fire back. Ships always have permission to fire
on ground bases if the ground base fires on the ship.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________
Do not fire at disabled:

Do not fire at enemy ships that are damaged so badly that are unable to move or fire their weapons or any ship that is missing
its crew.

The stand off range is the distance that the ship will attempt to maintain from all other enemy ships during a battle. More often
then not it is impossible to maintain the distance in a battle, but the ship will try its best.
The attack vector is the general direction the ship will attempt to enter battle from. You may wish to have your ships all attack
in one large pack from one direction to focus maximum firepower on an enemy or you may wish to attack in all different directions
at once to entrap a group of ships that you know will attempt to run. A circle of ships makes it hard for a ship that its
attempting to stay at a stand off range to maintain the distance.

Fighter:

Short scanner

Range about a 25ly. Using it makes the fighters more visible to enemy scanners.
ID transmitter

Makes the fighters very easy for enemy ships to see.
Your fighter`s friendly code matches an enemies` universal friendly code

Your fighter can pass through enemy space without being intercepted by ships on with auto intercept turned on.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_________
Auto intercept enemy ships:

Have the wing attack any enemy object that enters the wing`s patrol range.
Command codes are used to send commands to nearby objects that can understand them or to activate special fighter devices.
Attack enemies:

Before the fighter will do any attacking you must have to set it. Otherwise the wing will run if confronted by an enemy.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Quick strike:

Will have the fighters make one pass on the enemy target and run at full speed away from the battle area.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Anti fighter:

Has the wing attack enemy fighters first if possible, the wing will attack other targets if no fighters are in the area.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ground strike:

Allows the wing to target ground bases, even ground bases that are not firing at the wing.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Close to Point Blank:

Orders the wing to get as close as possible to the enemy before firing the weapons.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Deadly first:

Will have the wing attack the enemies that have the most weapons first.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Soft first:

Will have the wing attack enemy pods and freighters first.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Do not launch:

Orders the wing to stay on its ground base or in its fighter bay on its home ship. If wing is on a ship that is destroyed the
wing will be destroyed as well.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks in advance

Gabor Törö schrieb:
> Hi, community!
>
> What would you change of the following extract of the help files under
current host 193?

It is often not clear to me, how the switch work and some seems me not
always "correct", see comments below.

> Ships:
>
> Attack All Enemies:
>
> Attack enemies, ship has permission to fire first.

Not sure, but think the ship with this switch OFF fire only on objects
which fire on it and ignore all others, or ?

> Flee From All Enemy Races:
>
> Run away and do not attempt to fight

It is important, that this switch trigger a combat too, so for a cloaker
which shall not fight it is better to not switch it on to be unseen.

> Stay At Stand Off Range:
>
> Try to stay at a stand off range (0 to 1000) if possible and fire at the enemy from that range.
> Target Dangerous:
>
> Target the enemy target that has the most dangerous weapons.

How is dangerous defined ? Is a ship with a Super Weapon and 0 LWs more
dangerous then a ship with 0 SW but 20 LTAs ? Do the Small weapons count too ?

> Do not fire at disabled:
>
> Do not fire at enemy ships that are damaged so badly that are unable to move or fire their weapons or any ship that is missing
> its crew.

AFAIK it stops firing if the enemy ship gets enough sys-damage, mean 90+x%.

What is if I use more then one switch, say Target Soft (Target Dangerous)
+ Fire at Ground Targets ? What is the first target if both in range ?

> Fighter:
> Your fighter`s friendly code matches an enemies` universal friendly code
>
> Your fighter can pass through enemy space without being intercepted by ships on with auto intercept turned on.

And fly through minefields too.
What is with auto intercepting enemy wings ? Do they intercept ?

> Command codes are used to send commands to nearby objects that can understand them or to activate special fighter devices.

Can you give me an example for CCs for special fighter devices on a wing ?
Don't remember any.

> Deadly first:
>
> Will have the wing attack the enemies that have the most weapons first.
> Do not launch:

How does it count, SW+LW+SW+PD or what ?

> Orders the wing to stay on its ground base or in its fighter bay on its home ship. If wing is on a ship that is destroyed the
> wing will be destroyed as well.

How can you give such a order to a wing on a gound base ? That do not work
and AFAI saw the Home Guard start always if the Base is in a battle.
IIRR in the past docked wings are not destroyed, but not sure about, maybe
it where the wings from boarded ships I remember.

What is the first target, if I use Anti Fighter, Gound Strike and Soft
first ? Do it first target be fighters or Bases or Pods ?

Attack all enemy ship ON
I use Targer dangerous and target soft

avoid ground base, do not fire at ground base.

for a ship

if both a pod, a ship, an enemy wing are in range at witch target will my
ship fire ?

Sparrow

I agree that the various possible attack settings are unclear. First
step would be to remove contradictionary / redundant switches and to
learn what the remainings are supposed to be. From there we can check
what does not work as it should and then we have a base for changes.