Best CPU/GPU for Starcraft 2 at 1920X1080?

SilverJS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hey guys,

Quick one here - I have a file server that I built up, with a M4A88T-M mobo, Athlon II X2 250 CPU and 4 gigs of RAM. Windows 7 64-bit, 4 X 2TB hard drives and a main 320 GB hard drive. I was thinking of re-organizing my computers, and of combining the file server with a HTPC/gaming computer I had intended on building eventually, in my main theater room (projector, full 5.2 sound, etc.). I will do the vast majority of my gaming on my PS3, but I do play RTS games on the computer. I will be playing C&C 3 (both), C&C Red Alert, and Starcraft 2. The latter is the most demanding of the three, so if I run that, I'll be fine with the other two, obviously. I was thinking of upgrading only the processor and GPU, since I figure that's all I'll really need. My questions :

1. With my mobo (socket AM3), what is the best processor and GPU to get, to be able to run Starcraft 2 (even with fairly busy scenarios), with the most playability, and at 1920X1080, highest settings possible? Money is not really an object, but I also don't want to spend money I don't need to;

2. The other consideration is power useage. Noise is not really an issue as I have tons of other fairly noisy equipment (my mains, center and subs are driven by pro amps) but my plan was to leave this computer on 24/7 as a file server as well. Would something like a quad- or hex-core Phenom or something, use a ton more power when at idle or light file-server-like loads?

TIA!

Solution
Problem is most bench marks I can find are based on the beta so I would imagine AMD have tweaked there drivers since but the benchmarks I can find do favour Nvidia they also show its fairly CPU dependant. If you are on a budget a 555BE & a 460 could be your best bet especially if you overclock it.

mustbaj

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
i would get a 970 black edition quad core if your going with amd. and i think a 260gtx or even a 460 gtx sense price has dropped quite a bit will do exactly what you need.

SilverJS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Good to know. However, Tom's Hardware tests seem to indicate a tri- or quad-core might still be best, although the penalty would be slight if I went lower than that. No single-cores, though.

A little 3.3 GHz Callisto might be a good option if I want a power-savvy rig, but I still think I'll opt for something like a 970.

Problem is most bench marks I can find are based on the beta so I would imagine AMD have tweaked there drivers since but the benchmarks I can find do favour Nvidia they also show its fairly CPU dependant. If you are on a budget a 555BE & a 460 could be your best bet especially if you overclock it.

Solution

SilverJS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Sounds good - but what about power consumption of the 955/960/970, at idle-ish?

Also, there doesn't seem to be that much of a price difference between the 460s and the 560s out there - preferred option? Or even, 470 or 570?