AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Sony AD7240SGB 24X SATA DVDRW OEM
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
ASRock 890GX Extreme3 Motherboard
NZXT Phantom Case Black
OCZ Fatal1ty Series 750W Modular
Gigabyte Radeon HD6850 1GB Overclocked
Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 7200RPM

When I plugged it in and hit power, absolutely nothing happened. I've checked the power and reset plugs on the motherboard, they are fine, and I've tried them both ways anyway to be sure. I have checked the power switch on the PSU is on, have tried it both ways too. I have checked the wall plug to make sure it is working. I have checked the 24 pin and the 8 pin power connections on the motherboard, they only can go one way and they are plugged in properly. The power plug to the graphics card is in.

Now I have also tried the power button which is physically on the motherboard, pressing that sometimes makes the red light on the power and reset button on the motherboard turn on for a second, then off again.

Anything I might have missed? Any common things with any of the parts that I might have done wrong? I unfortunately don't have a multimeter to start testing the power to each part.

strewart

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Sorry for not findin that first...

I didn't have the motherboard speaker plugged in, so I put that in to see if there were any beeps. Nothing.

Everything else on the list, have now or before tried.

I resorted to unplugging everything, all drives out, graphics card out, RAM out, just motherboard and CPU. Still no beep, still the first time I press power the power and reset buttons on motherboard light up for a second then go off. This time, the rear fan appears to try to start, there is a very small move (few millimetres) then it stops.

I guess that means either PSU or mobo is faulty, right? I will try to get hold of a different PSU to try with the motherboard..

That does not mean the PSU is bad. But finding a different PSU for testing is an excellent next step.
If the system boots with a known good PSU - you've ID'd the problem to being a bad PSU.

strewart

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Ok thanks for that mate, I have got my old power supply from my old computer and just plugged in the 24 pin plug and the 12V plug, now the CPU fan works as it should and there is a beeping error on the motherboard, I guess because it is not detecting a video card or RAM. But just the fact that it powers up now means the new Power supply that I bought is faulty and I have to send it back to where I got it, right?

strewart

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Yeah the old power supply is not good enough for the new stuff, plus it is still in my old computer and mostly hooked up. I just put the cases next to each other and reached the two power cables across. What would be the advantage of getting the new system started with my old power supply? If I have a faulty PSU its no good to me anyway.

I also just tried unplugging everything else from the new PSU except the two motherboard power cables to make sure one of the other things plugged in wasn't shorting it somewhere, still nothing. And tried my old power cable that just worked with the old PSU on the new one, still nothing. What else could it possibly be?

Using the old PSU and getting the system to boot would rule out any other problem.
Since it's just a low idle load you might be able to use that older PSU.
It wouldnt hold up to a full gaming load, but an idle load should be under 150watts.