Basic gaming PC configuration

quzle

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hi everyone!
I'm building a computer (almost) from scratch, and I would like your opinions on it. I would use it as a casual gaming PC.

Here is my config (the prices are the best I could find here in Italy):

Mobo: Asus M4A87TD 80€
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 565 BE 100€
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5750 90€
RAM: 2x2GB DDR3 Corsair 1333Mhz 50€
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 II 65€
PS: OCZ StealthXstream 500W 55€

+64GB SSD 100€

Total: 540€

It's a bit over my price range, also because I'm planning on buying a 24-25" Full-HD Display, but I can probably get some contribution from my parents if I'm a good boy ;)

Solution
HD 5750 will run great on 1280x1024.

Phenom II X2 565BE has the extra cores but not everyone is successful getting them unlocked and stable.
Some get all four stable. Some get an extra core stable. Some get no extra cores stable. Let us know how you make out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

quzle

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hello WR2,
Thanks for your reply!
I already have a DVD burner, and about the display, I'm not even gonna get it right now so it's not the main problem.
You say to choose the Athlon X3 CPU. But I had chosen the BE Phenom II so I can overclock it, and unlock the 2 disabled cores (I should be able to do that with that mobo, am I right?).
About the GPU, I had considered the HD 5770, but I don't think it's worth the 20€ difference. I may be wrong, so what do you think?
I also already have 500GB of HD storage, so I wanted to get the SSD for the OS only.

Ok, it's look better for the SSD since you already have the storage HDD and DVD burner.

If you're able to unlock the extra two cores and they run stable for you you're in really good shape. But you'll have to get lucky twice.
You need to be prepared to live with just the two cores if the CPU you get is one of the many that won't unlock even 1 more core and run stable.

For 1920x1080 resolution you'll want every bit of extra power you can afford and then overclock some too.

HD 5750 would probably be fine for what you have now. What is your current resolution?

quzle

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
My current resolution is crap (1280x1024 I think), but as I said it's only temporary :)
The CPU I'm considering is the AMD Phenom II X2 565 Black Edition, and I believe the cores are both unlockable.

HD 5750 will run great on 1280x1024.

Phenom II X2 565BE has the extra cores but not everyone is successful getting them unlocked and stable.
Some get all four stable. Some get an extra core stable. Some get no extra cores stable. Let us know how you make out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Solution
Luck....and only luck. There is no way to tell if you getting a 'golden' CPU or just an average one.

Some think that, due to marketing demand for dual and triple core CPUs, some perfectly good 4 core CPUs might be switched to run as dual/triple core. That would be a 'golden' CPU.

Most are probably CPUs that tested with a weaker core or two and has those locked out.

quzle

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
OK, fingers crossed :)
And how can I tell if the motherboard and PS fit in the Case? I expect they're probably all compatible, but I'm asking just to be 100% sure :)

EDIT: Do you think a 32GB SSD would be enough for the OS and some apps only?