Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will this PSU allow me to Crossfire?

Last response: in Components
Share
May 31, 2011 12:49:56 AM

Hello everyone!

I have a simple question: would any of these PSUs be able to handle 2x of any of these GPUs in Crossfire?

PSU N.1: CORSAIR TX 750
PSU N.2: CORSAIR TX 750 V2

GPU N.1: SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
GPU N.2: SAPPHIRE 6970

Thanks in advance! :D 

More about : psu crossfire

May 31, 2011 2:16:49 AM

They are essentially the same power supply, just one of them is slightly more energy efficient. If they are are the same price get the V2.

750w would handle crossfire 6950's + overclocked CPU but it depends on other components too.

For crossfire 6970's and overclocked CPU I would go with a 850w (If your going to spend $700+ on GPU then you should be able to add an extra $35 to your PSU budget)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
May 31, 2011 2:41:25 AM

Thanks for the good advice!

I'm not really thinking about going dual-GPU (for the moment), just wanted to know if a 750W could handle it.

Also, I'm planning on getting the 6950 and flashing it to 6970. According to specs., the 6950 has a power consumption of 500W, and the 6970 has a power consumption of 550W.

Logic tells me that if I'm going to flash a 6950 to a 6970, then the power consumption would increase as well. Am I right?

So far (since I'm not really going for dual-GPU) the CORSAIR TX 750 V2 looks like the right choice. What do you think?

Thanks in advance! :D 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 31, 2011 2:42:49 AM

martinduque86 said:
Thanks for the good advice!

I'm not really thinking about going dual-GPU (for the moment), just wanted to know if a 750W could handle it.

Also, I'm planning on getting the 6950 and flashing it to 6970. According to specs., the 6950 has a power consumption of 500W, and the 6970 has a power consumption of 550W.

Logic tells me that if I'm going to flash a 6950 to a 6970, then the power consumption would increase as well. Am I right?

So far (since I'm not really going for dual-GPU) the CORSAIR TX 750 V2 looks like the right choice. What do you think?

Thanks in advance! :D 

No, I would recommend a good 850w for a 6970 cf setup.So no the 750w corsair isnt recommended in my books.
m
0
l
May 31, 2011 3:02:27 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
No, I would recommend a good 850w for a 6970 cf setup.So no the 750w corsair isnt recommended in my books.


In the previous post I'm saying I'm NOT going for a dual-GPU (crossfire) set.

I'm just going for a single 6950 flashed to 6970.

I'm pretty sure a 750W would take care of that, or am I wrong?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 31, 2011 3:07:18 AM

650w would take care of that.Sorry mate, havent been myself lately.

Since i saw your first post i thought you said gpu1 and gpu 2.Then i thought of crossfire Gamer Girl also thought you wanted to CF.
m
0
l
May 31, 2011 3:14:58 AM

Well if you are not going to cf the 6950/6970 then the 750w would be enough but you won't be able to add the second card later on.

I don't have any experience flashing those cards so I cannot say for sure about the power it would use. All I know is that the manufactures have said that if you flash the bios then you will void the warranty.

Quote:
According to specs., the 6950 has a power consumption of 500W, and the 6970 has a power consumption of 550W.


These are total system draw and minimum recommended power supply they have a put in a margin of safety.

cf 5970 draws over 500 watts at peak - this is just the cards.

conclusion: go with 850w if you want the ability to add a second card later on, if not the 750w is fine.
m
0
l
May 31, 2011 3:56:52 AM

Gamer-girl said:
Well if you are not going to cf the 6950/6970 then the 750w would be enough but you won't be able to add the second card later on.

I don't have any experience flashing those cards so I cannot say for sure about the power it would use. All I know is that the manufactures have said that if you flash the bios then you will void the warranty.

Quote:
According to specs., the 6950 has a power consumption of 500W, and the 6970 has a power consumption of 550W.


These are total system draw and minimum recommended power supply they have a put in a margin of safety.

cf 5970 draws over 500 watts at peak - this is just the cards.

conclusion: go with 850w if you want the ability to add a second card later on, if not the 750w is fine.


I'm confused, in your first post you said a 750W PSU would be enough for crossfire 6950, just not 6970's.

Is it, or is it not, 750W enough for flashed 6950 crossfire?

Should I just skip the TX 750 and go for a TX 650 (in case of single GPU) or TX 850 (in case of future dual-GPU) instead?

Thanks in advance! :D 
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 1167 ) Power supply
May 31, 2011 5:04:11 AM

Corsair CMPSU-750TX recently discontinued.
OEM : CWT (PSH platform)
Max. Load +12V : 720 Watts / 60 Amps

Corsair TX750 V2 750W (CMPSU-750TXV2)
OEM : Seasonic (S12D platform)
Max. Load +12V : 744 W / 62 Amps

The V2 is an improvement over the previous model.

A single reference clocked Radeon HD 6950 card system requires a current rating at least 38 Amps or more on the +12 Volt rail. Two reference clocked Radeon HD 6950 in 2-way CrossFireX mode would require 55 Amps or more.

A single reference clocked Radeon HD 6970 card system requires a current rating at least 42 Amps or more on the +12 Volt rail. Two reference clocked Radeon HD 6970 in 2-way CrossFireX mode would require 63 Amps or more.

Get the Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 if you're intent on running two HD 6950 flashed to HD 6970 in 2-way CrossFireX mode.
Share
May 31, 2011 5:11:29 AM

750w is enough for cf 6950 stock (not flashed)
850w is for cf 6970 and i assume flashed 6950

you can get the 650w if you plan to stick with a single card BUT
a 750w will give you some room for upgrades later, you could revert the 6950 back to stock and add another one later or you could add 2 midrange cards in the future. Those PSU come with a 5 year warranty, thats a long time for computer technology.

850w if you want to cf 6970.

Which one you pick depends on you and how long you intend to keep these components.

Also note that the 750 and 850 has alot more cables so if your only using 1 graphics card and 1 hdd then there will be alot of extra cables which might be a problem if you have a smaller case.
m
0
l
May 31, 2011 5:51:06 AM

Thanks everyone for the good advice!

I've decided I'm going for the TX 750.

I'm not really planning on getting a dual-GPU crossfire setup, so the TX 750 would suffice for a single 6950 flashed to 6970.

Also, I'd like the room for upgrading (some CPU overclocking, adding a second HDD for RAID0, stuff like that), that's why I'm choosing the TX 750 over the cheaper TX 650.

Sounds good to you?

Thanks in advance! :D 
m
0
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
May 31, 2011 5:52:24 AM

martinduque86 said:
Thanks everyone for the good advice!

I've decided I'm going for the TX 750.

I'm not really planning on getting a dual-GPU crossfire setup, so the TX 750 would suffice for a single 6950 flashed to 6970.

Also, I'd like the room for upgrading (some CPU overclocking, adding a second HDD for RAID0, stuff like that), that's why I'm choosing the TX 750 over the cheaper TX 650.

Sounds good to you?

Thanks in advance! :D 

Yep. Good strategy.
m
0
l
May 31, 2011 7:08:29 AM

even a TX650 is enough for "some CPU overclocking, adding a second HDD". But a 750 would last longer.
m
0
l
June 1, 2011 12:25:36 AM

Best answer selected by martinduque86.
m
0
l
!