Help choosing sound card

vdulgerian

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hi all,

I need help choosing a sound card as I don't have much experience with them. I need one that can not only output but also input a signal from a dual tape deck recorder I have that has only RCA type connectors. I see that the Creative xfi titanium champion has an "aux in" on its 5.25" drive bay face. I doesn't necessarily have to have those connectors as I can find an adapter i'm sure but I need something good that can receive a signal. I was looking at ASUS, HT Omega, Creative and M-Audio. Anybody have any suggestions?

Well, if you need to handle RCA Input, the only option would be a soundcard with a dedicated Line Input port, then convert the RCA to 3.5mm. That should work...That being said, most soundcards don't feature Line Input ports anymore. I know for a fact the HT Omega Striker does, and I think thats probably your cheapest option...

Also, be aware that some sound devices are a bit quirky when it comes to getting front panel audio to work; my old ASUS D2 needed to have the port set the "listening" via the Windows Control Panel to get any audio comming over the Line Input port to output properly.

Any reason you need a Line Input? Simply trying to connect a device, or do you need something more audiophile quality [in which case, M-Audio is probably a safer bet]

vdulgerian

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

Thanks for the replies anyone. I need a line input because my dad has a bunch of cassettes he wants to convert and the only output on the back of the dual cassette recorder deck he has is rca. You mention converting RCA to 3.5mm. That would be fine. Are there any cards besides the HT Omega Striker that have a line in? They don't have to be super high quality sound, just decent.

On a side note, i have a old creative soundblaster x-fi xtreme music card. Would this do? If not, would I be able to try to find the older X-FI I/O Drive Upgrade kit and use it in conjunction with this card? Are they compatible? I noticed that the old drive bay has all the connections I would ever need.... Thanks again!

vdulgerian

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

It says digital I/O on the backplate. I'm assuming this would suffice for both my input and output recording needs...