Win2k. Viable gaming platform?

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am about to install an ABIT KT7-Raid with Duron 750 (to be OCed to 950) and 256 MB RAM.

I want to take advantage of the extra ram and Raid support, and from my experiance with WinNT, Win2k should do a much better job at this than Win98. My only question is game support.

I currently play Q3 and Tribes mostly, Tribes 2 when it arrives (very soon I hope!). A dual boot is NOT an option. I play games sporadically, amoungst net surfing, word processiong, and chatting/messaging. It is very inconvenient to reboot my system that often.

My question is, is Win2k a decent gaming platform? Or should I stick with Win98?

G

I don't know about tribes but i run 2k Pro as well as 98 and ME and quake 3 is flat out faster in win2k.
3 more frames per sec than 98 and 5 more than ME.

Keep in mind though that detonator 3 drivers don't let you overclock in windows 2k and it is still better than ME with the memory bus at 250 ddr. funny huh?

G

I also have Win2K and run Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 and the latest Star Trek Game. All run without problem

G

I am running Starcraft, Age of Empires 1 & 2, Quake 3, UT, Deus Ex, Red Alert 2 without any problem. Half Life runs fine but i cant get those Add Bots running......dunno it is me or win2k :(

G

I run win 2000 Pro and play tribes every day for hours sometimes! runs perfect! AMD 550+@600 256mb ram voodoo 5500 soundblaster live....

G

Don't worry since direct-X 8 is out all newer games Like Tribes 2 will be compatable. As long as you have the CPU hoursepower I'd say you need atleast 350Mhz min for any type perfomance increase over 98\ME. Win2k is a power hungry OS but if you feed it good it'll blow the doors off any 98\Me machine in performace and stabuility.

G

I play both UT and Tribes on Win2k Pro and both run fine....