Keep getting BSODs

zyrumtumtugger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I have an HP Elitebook 2530p with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, and I keep getting a BSOD with the error message "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

The first thing I did was do a memory and hard drive test. Unfortunately, both came up clean. Then I updated my sound, video, networking, webcam, extra button drivers and BIOS. Still getting them.

Any other solutions I should try or information I should provide? Many thanks in advance.

Solution
What about your BIOS? Did you ensure it's the latest BIOS revision? Otherwise, I would have to say get with HP support because it could be faulty hardware.

isamuelson

Distinguished
First off, there are different versions of this error depending on the hex number. For example:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x81c770DA)

Can you also post that as well? You might also want to go to support.microsoft.com and do a search on that hex number to see what comes up.

In the mean time, have you looked into the logs to see if the system or application logs show anything?

There could be a multitude of different things that could be causing this: outdated drivers (which you already corrected), bad memory (you already tested this as well) or even devices sharing the same IRQ.

I would look in the logs and see if you can find anything that was reported (hopefully) around the time you receive the BSOD.

Does the BSOD appear randomly or when you perform certain functions?

From what I've found looking through my copy of Windows 7 Resource Kit, it points to a bad driver or bad memory, even though you've tested those. But, that also depends on the specific stop hex code. If it's 0xA, then the message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission or at a kernel IRQL that was too high. This is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

To interpret the stop message, it has four parameters:

1. Memory address that was improperly referenced
2. IRQL that was required to access the memory
3. Type of access (0x00 = read operation, 0x01 = write operation)
4. Address of the instruction that attempted to reference memory specified in parameter 1

If the last parameter is within the address range of a device driver used on your system, you can determine which device driver was running when the memory access occurred. You can usually determine the driver name by reading the line that begins with
[cpp]**Address 0xZZZZZZZZ has base at <address>- <driver name>[/cpp]

If the third param is the same as the first, then a special condition exists in which a system worker routine (carried out by a worker thread to handle background tasks) returned at a higher IRQL. Then, the four parameters take on a different meaning:

1. Address of the worker routine
2. Kernel IRQL
3. Address of the worker routine
4. Address of the work item.

Does this occur when resuming from hibernation or suspend mode? If that's the case, you should read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941492 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945577.

Another problem that could occur with laptops is when you start it with the lid closed (probably in a docking station). If that's the case, then refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941507.

If it's Stop 0XD1, then this means the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. This points to faulty drivers and usually occurs after you install said drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable it. If that fixes the error, then you'll have to contact the manufacturer about updates.

Since it's a laptop, it's a little harder to remove memory and see if that helps. Is the HP Elitebook certified for Windows 7? That could be another issue. I'm not familiar with that machine at all.

I would recommend the Windows 7 Resource Kit book from Microsoft Press. It has a chapter devoted to figuring out common stop messages which is where I was able to get most of the info in here. It's definitely worth it!

zyrumtumtugger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I'm getting these codes:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: a
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF80002FE8477
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

I'm sure there's more information in the dumps, but I can't open them.

isamuelson

Distinguished
So this appears to be a case of a 0xA. The first and third parameters are the same. The 2nd parameter is the IRQL (which is interrupt 2). The BCP4 parameter is the address of the work item. So, it appears a worker thread from a system routine caused it. Again, this probably points to kernel mode process that has caused a problem.

You can send the dump file into Microsoft probably and they can help because without more information, I'm not sure what the problem is other than a bad kernel process or a driver.

Again, when does the blue screen occur? At random times or during specific operations, such as coming back from hibernation or suspend mode?

isamuelson

Distinguished

I'm wondering if it's more of a driver issue then or most definitely an IRQ conflict somewhere, either with your sound card or network card.

Have you gone to the HP website and downloaded the latest BIOS upgrades? I see on the website that it is certified to run Windows 7 Professional. I see the latest BIOS version is F.0E and is dated 14 Sep 2009 and it's purpose is to add support for the Windows 7 Operating Systems.

You can get it at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3782222&swItem=ob-76162-1&prodNameId=3782253&swEnvOID=4059&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

Did you purchase any kind of support with the laptop? I would get with HP but definitely, first look to see that you are running the BIOS version F.0E first. If not, download it and apply it. That might help.

I would also download all the relevant drivers for your network, video and sound card. Also, get any chipset drivers as well. Be sure you select Windows 7 64-bit as the Operating System. I see they have just about everything there.

Hopefully that helps.

zyrumtumtugger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Unfortunately, the first thing I did after installing the OS was to update all my drivers. I first thing I did after BSODing was to update them again, this time off the original website (ie. got video drivers from Intel).

isamuelson

Distinguished

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but at this point, I've exhausted all my possible explanations as to what could be going on at the driver/software level. It sounds like a definite hardware issue.

Let me know how things go. I'm interested in knowing what the problem is.