Advice on gather contraband on planet surface

Last response: in Video Games
May 27, 2005 7:53:31 PM

Contraband

Free stuff lying round on planets:

You might not gather any Contraband for several turns. your odds of finding
something is related to your race's PSI rating. If you have a PSI of 0 you
have a 27.5% chance per turn of finding a contraband item. The amount you
gather is reduced if you have less than 1 million colonists on a planet.
Most unexplored planets will have some contraband on them that you can
gather and sell. It is free money. It is a motivator to expand fast and grab
territory as quickly as possible. However, since you now need up to 1
million colonists to gather it before the game ends, it's not as big a
reason to expand as it used to be.
This free contraband is a finite resource; some planets have 10,000 units
but most only have about 100.

I'm playing the Empire (Psi rating 120) I have found a planet with many
amorphous 500k+

I know from tim help file, that the amprphous will never join my base, I
have none in any of my base.

The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
200k prisonier.

I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
boost in money fast, or I will die.

I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
attack me with superior # of forces.

how fast will I gather with :

Colonist
1000
10 000
100 000

How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?

Does the troop help to gather ?
I have only troop on it so far
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 7:53:32 PM

Hallo LL, this is Ashran (aka Sphere, the other EE player). If you
have downloaded the Ship Calculator program, then in the 'Details'
screen of each race on the 'Race Data' page at the bottom you will find
a percentage chance to find one type of Contraband depending on your
population. How much you gather when successful seems to be a random
amount that is only partially dependent on population.

Incidentally, I generally find it worthwhile to drop a bunch of
people on Amorphous planets even when I'm not able to gather the
natives themselves. However, in your (our) situation, it is probably
wise not to spread your defenses too far with an attack possible.

Good luck,
Ashran

P.S. You should be careful about unnecessarily divulging in-game
information here. While I had suspected you probably had a scan of my
homeworld, I wasn't sure...

Lord Lancelot wrote:
> Contraband
>
> Free stuff lying round on planets:
>
> You might not gather any Contraband for several turns. your odds of finding
> something is related to your race's PSI rating. If you have a PSI of 0 you
> have a 27.5% chance per turn of finding a contraband item. The amount you
> gather is reduced if you have less than 1 million colonists on a planet.
> Most unexplored planets will have some contraband on them that you can
> gather and sell. It is free money. It is a motivator to expand fast and grab
> territory as quickly as possible. However, since you now need up to 1
> million colonists to gather it before the game ends, it's not as big a
> reason to expand as it used to be.
> This free contraband is a finite resource; some planets have 10,000 units
> but most only have about 100.
>
> I'm playing the Empire (Psi rating 120) I have found a planet with many
> amorphous 500k+
>
> I know from tim help file, that the amprphous will never join my base, I
> have none in any of my base.
>
> The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
> about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
> player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
> 200k prisonier.
>
> I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
> boost in money fast, or I will die.
>
> I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
> colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
> attack me with superior # of forces.
>
> how fast will I gather with :
>
> Colonist
> 1000
> 10 000
> 100 000
>
> How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?
>
> Does the troop help to gather ?
> I have only troop on it so far
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 10:54:21 PM

I have ship calculator, diplomat.

Thanks for the info in ship calculator.

And now you know about the deadly threat to your HW.
Do you work better under stress ?

:)

I did a bad start, waited too long to get Mig, and SD out there. (bad tech
updrade)

I'm surprise you managed to get bovinoid in your base, their suppose to run
away from the Empire.
But that's good new for me. (unless you got them in an enemy base).

Lord Lancelot
May 29, 2005 4:35:52 PM

<ashrangildowan@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1117230312.418650.313620@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hallo LL, this is Ashran (aka Sphere, the other EE player). If you
> have downloaded the Ship Calculator program, then in the 'Details'
> screen of each race on the 'Race Data' page at the bottom you will find
> a percentage chance to find one type of Contraband depending on your
> population. How much you gather when successful seems to be a random
> amount that is only partially dependent on population.

This is common sense but not true.

GFM GToeroe
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 4:37:24 PM

Please hold the line...I will tell the truth...

GFM GToeroe

"Lord Lancelot" <lordlancelot@Nospamthankyou.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:_UKle.27565$Ot6.1480060@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Contraband
>
> Free stuff lying round on planets:
>
> You might not gather any Contraband for several turns. your odds of finding
> something is related to your race's PSI rating. If you have a PSI of 0 you
> have a 27.5% chance per turn of finding a contraband item. The amount you
> gather is reduced if you have less than 1 million colonists on a planet.
> Most unexplored planets will have some contraband on them that you can
> gather and sell. It is free money. It is a motivator to expand fast and grab
> territory as quickly as possible. However, since you now need up to 1
> million colonists to gather it before the game ends, it's not as big a
> reason to expand as it used to be.
> This free contraband is a finite resource; some planets have 10,000 units
> but most only have about 100.
>
> I'm playing the Empire (Psi rating 120) I have found a planet with many
> amorphous 500k+
>
> I know from tim help file, that the amprphous will never join my base, I
> have none in any of my base.
>
> The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
> about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
> player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
> 200k prisonier.
>
> I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
> boost in money fast, or I will die.
>
> I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
> colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
> attack me with superior # of forces.
>
> how fast will I gather with :
>
> Colonist
> 1000
> 10 000
> 100 000
>
> How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?
>
> Does the troop help to gather ?
> I have only troop on it so far

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 4:41:19 PM

But also you should increase your affords to get needed informations as in this group I've already posted the contraband gather
mechanics...you could go to the web site of thei group - if you do not already the web interface - and search for " contraband
gather mechanics".

GFM GToeroe
"Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D 7c5r5$rvp$01$1@news.t-online.com...
> Please hold the line...I will tell the truth...
>
> GFM GToeroe
>
> "Lord Lancelot" <lordlancelot@Nospamthankyou.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:_UKle.27565$Ot6.1480060@news20.bellglobal.com...
> > Contraband
> >
> > Free stuff lying round on planets:
> >
> > You might not gather any Contraband for several turns. your odds of finding
> > something is related to your race's PSI rating. If you have a PSI of 0 you
> > have a 27.5% chance per turn of finding a contraband item. The amount you
> > gather is reduced if you have less than 1 million colonists on a planet.
> > Most unexplored planets will have some contraband on them that you can
> > gather and sell. It is free money. It is a motivator to expand fast and grab
> > territory as quickly as possible. However, since you now need up to 1
> > million colonists to gather it before the game ends, it's not as big a
> > reason to expand as it used to be.
> > This free contraband is a finite resource; some planets have 10,000 units
> > but most only have about 100.
> >
> > I'm playing the Empire (Psi rating 120) I have found a planet with many
> > amorphous 500k+
> >
> > I know from tim help file, that the amprphous will never join my base, I
> > have none in any of my base.
> >
> > The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
> > about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
> > player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
> > 200k prisonier.
> >
> > I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
> > boost in money fast, or I will die.
> >
> > I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
> > colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
> > attack me with superior # of forces.
> >
> > how fast will I gather with :
> >
> > Colonist
> > 1000
> > 10 000
> > 100 000
> >
> > How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?
> >
> > Does the troop help to gather ?
> > I have only troop on it so far

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:54:54 PM

Lördchen Lancelötchen does not use the google web interface...... you need
to post that again....

Greetings
Sebastian

"Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:D 7c62g$5ue$02$1@news.t-online.com...
> But also you should increase your affords to get needed informations as in
> this group I've already posted the contraband gather
> mechanics...you could go to the web site of thei group - if you do not
> already the web interface - and search for " contraband
> gather mechanics".
>
> GFM GToeroe
> "Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:D 7c5r5$rvp$01$1@news.t-online.com...
>> Please hold the line...I will tell the truth...
>>
>> GFM GToeroe
>>
>> "Lord Lancelot" <lordlancelot@Nospamthankyou.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> > Contraband
>> >
>> > Free stuff lying round on planets:
>> >
>> > You might not gather any Contraband for several turns. your odds of
>> > finding
>> > something is related to your race's PSI rating. If you have a PSI of 0
>> > you
>> > have a 27.5% chance per turn of finding a contraband item. The amount
>> > you
>> > gather is reduced if you have less than 1 million colonists on a
>> > planet.
>> > Most unexplored planets will have some contraband on them that you can
>> > gather and sell. It is free money. It is a motivator to expand fast and
>> > grab
>> > territory as quickly as possible. However, since you now need up to 1
>> > million colonists to gather it before the game ends, it's not as big a
>> > reason to expand as it used to be.
>> > This free contraband is a finite resource; some planets have 10,000
>> > units
>> > but most only have about 100.
>> >
>> > I'm playing the Empire (Psi rating 120) I have found a planet with many
>> > amorphous 500k+
>> >
>> > I know from tim help file, that the amprphous will never join my base,
>> > have none in any of my base.
>> >
>> > The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I
>> > have
>> > about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other
>> > empire
>> > player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many
>> > natives,
>> > 200k prisonier.
>> >
>> > I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
>> > boost in money fast, or I will die.
>> >
>> > I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000
>> > 000
>> > colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will
>> > ground
>> > attack me with superior # of forces.
>> >
>> > how fast will I gather with :
>> >
>> > Colonist
>> > 1000
>> > 10 000
>> > 100 000
>> >
>> > How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?
>> >
>> > Does the troop help to gather ?
>> > I have only troop on it so far

May 30, 2005 11:37:40 AM

Now you are really expecting to much from him! ;-O
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 2:41:09 PM

Main statement: Gather rates increase linearly up to 400k colonists. Behind 400k the increase is also linear but very flatten.

The chance for finding peanuts is 0,725 - PSI/400
The chance for finding big nuggets is PSI/400 + 0,275

"Peanuts" is defined by the range from min to gap0 with

min = C/100k and
gap0= (5+CB/25)*C/400k.

With a chance of 0,725-PSI/400 a random value between min and gap0 is gathered from the surface.

"Big nuggets" is defined by the range from gap1 to max where

gap1 = MAX{ gap0; MIN[CB;200]*MIN[1;C/400k] } and
max = MAX{ gap1; MIN[1;C/400k] * IIF[ CB< 2000/7; CB; 3*CB/10+200] }

With a chance of 0,725 - PSI/400 a random value between gap1 and max is gathered from the surface.

The formulas should hold if CB is still greater than C/100k. The choice of the names gap0 and gap1 comes indeed from a gap
between peanuts range and big nugget range the occured gathered amounts for a wide range of CB and C.

As you see the gathered mean increase strongly with C up to 400k. Behind 400k there is still an increase but flater. 400k on two
is almost (for identical CBs) better than 800k on one planet.

And 4 x 100k on four planets is almost equal to 400k on one planet (identical CB distributions assumed)

If the types are different then one have to check something...But in the meanwhile you should have recieved my contraband gather
efficiency estimator excel sheet, right?

Always ensure that estimated money stream from gathering is great enough to compensate the loss do to missing tax and city income
and the costs for new cities on the target planet...

GFM GToeroe

"Lord Lancelot" <lordlancelot@Nospamthankyou.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:_UKle.27565$Ot6.1480060@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Contraband
>
> Free stuff lying round on planets:
>
> You might not gather any Contraband for several turns. your odds of finding
> something is related to your race's PSI rating. If you have a PSI of 0 you
> have a 27.5% chance per turn of finding a contraband item. The amount you
> gather is reduced if you have less than 1 million colonists on a planet.
> Most unexplored planets will have some contraband on them that you can
> gather and sell. It is free money. It is a motivator to expand fast and grab
> territory as quickly as possible. However, since you now need up to 1
> million colonists to gather it before the game ends, it's not as big a
> reason to expand as it used to be.
> This free contraband is a finite resource; some planets have 10,000 units
> but most only have about 100.
>
> I'm playing the Empire (Psi rating 120) I have found a planet with many
> amorphous 500k+
>
> I know from tim help file, that the amprphous will never join my base, I
> have none in any of my base.
>
> The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
> about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
> player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
> 200k prisonier.
>
> I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
> boost in money fast, or I will die.
>
> I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
> colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
> attack me with superior # of forces.
>
> how fast will I gather with :
>
> Colonist
> 1000
> 10 000
> 100 000
>
> How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?
>
> Does the troop help to gather ?
> I have only troop on it so far

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:18:30 PM

BTW: Nameless, this is not taken from any code but extracting from pure but massively simming...

GFM GToeroe

"Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D 7ejd4$gm$02$1@news.t-online.com...
> [...]
> > have none in any of my base.
> >
> > The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
> > about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
> > player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
> > 200k prisonier.
> >
> > I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
> > boost in money fast, or I will die.
> >
> > I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
> > colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
> > attack me with superior # of forces.
> >
> > how fast will I gather with :
> >
> > Colonist
> > 1000
> > 10 000
> > 100 000
> >
> > How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:04:02 PM

I've forgotten to say something about the mean:

To be exactly, it is the conditional mean E(G|CB), that means, if assumed, that an amount of CB kT of surface contraband is
there, then the mean for the randomly gathered amount G is denoted by this E(G|CB).

E(G|CB) = [0,725 - PSI/400] * [gap0+min]/2 + [PSI/400 + 0,275] * [gap1+max]/2

Although the series of the gathered amounts for several turns are not independent I treated them as independent to use this above
formula for the contraband gather efficiency estimator I sent to Klingon Kommand and which could go online in a few days if Paul
will find it useful and correctly programmed.

> [...]

> > have none in any of my base.
> >
> > The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
> > about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
> > player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
> > 200k prisonier.
> >
> > I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
> > boost in money fast, or I will die.
> >
> > I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
> > colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
> > attack me with superior # of forces.
> >
> > how fast will I gather with :
> >
> > Colonist
> > 1000
> > 10 000
> > 100 000
> >
> > How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:57:29 PM

> Main statement: Gather rates increase linearly up to 400k colonists. Behind 400k the
> increase is also linear but very flatten.

When did you sim this? According to the host change log:

Feb 15th, 2004

What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.160

New: Contraband gather rate slowed down, maximum rate now happens when
you have 1000000 colonists

Scytale
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 1:31:15 AM

simmed after 160 and recently confirmed...intention and implementation are two bi-lingual brothers often following worse ways and
are cautiously to convince climbing hand in hand along the code's course the mountain of gold.

GFM GToeroe

"Scytale" <scytale@softhome.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1117641449.651527.48740@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> > Main statement: Gather rates increase linearly up to 400k colonists. Behind 400k the
> > increase is also linear but very flatten.
>
> When did you sim this? According to the host change log:
>
> Feb 15th, 2004
>
> What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.160
>
> New: Contraband gather rate slowed down, maximum rate now happens when
> you have 1000000 colonists
>

> Scytale

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 10:50:34 AM

"Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> wrote:

>simmed after 160 and recently confirmed...intention and implementation are two bi-lingual brothers often following worse ways and
>are cautiously to convince climbing hand in hand along the code's course the mountain of gold.

Boy, that saying didn't survive translation! :-)
I think that I get what you mean though

Malcolm
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 5:51:11 PM

Well, then please say it correctly for me. I would really like to know it.

GFM GToeroe

"Malcolm Snelgrove" <greengalah@yahoo-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:27ov91hi3qb8ihmuk0r2urf5i74s8ccqda@4ax.com...
> "Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> wrote:
>
> >simmed after 160 and recently confirmed...intention and implementation are two bi-lingual brothers often following worse ways
and
> >are cautiously to convince climbing hand in hand along the code's course the mountain of gold.
> >
> Boy, that saying didn't survive translation! :-)
> I think that I get what you mean though
>
> Malcolm
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 3:13:18 AM

>Well, then please say it correctly for me. I would really like to know it.

Wish I could, getting the idea of what you are saying is a lot easier then
trying to write it! The closest in English that I know is
" If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride."
Your saying sounds a lot more interesting, even if I don't understand bits
of it.

Try this one for a colorful saying,
"Up a shark infested creek in a bardwire canoe without a paddle"
Means "In deep trouble"

Regards,
Malcolm

!