Advice on gather contraband on planet surface

Contraband

Free stuff lying round on planets:

You might not gather any Contraband for several turns. your odds of finding
something is related to your race's PSI rating. If you have a PSI of 0 you
have a 27.5% chance per turn of finding a contraband item. The amount you
gather is reduced if you have less than 1 million colonists on a planet.
Most unexplored planets will have some contraband on them that you can
gather and sell. It is free money. It is a motivator to expand fast and grab
territory as quickly as possible. However, since you now need up to 1
million colonists to gather it before the game ends, it's not as big a
reason to expand as it used to be.
This free contraband is a finite resource; some planets have 10,000 units
but most only have about 100.

I'm playing the Empire (Psi rating 120) I have found a planet with many
amorphous 500k+

I know from tim help file, that the amprphous will never join my base, I
have none in any of my base.

The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
200k prisonier.

I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
boost in money fast, or I will die.

I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
attack me with superior # of forces.

how fast will I gather with :

Colonist
1000
10 000
100 000

How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?

Does the troop help to gather ?
I have only troop on it so far
15 answers Last reply
More about advice gather contraband planet surface

    Hallo LL, this is Ashran (aka Sphere, the other EE player). If you
    have downloaded the Ship Calculator program, then in the 'Details'
    screen of each race on the 'Race Data' page at the bottom you will find
    a percentage chance to find one type of Contraband depending on your
    population. How much you gather when successful seems to be a random
    amount that is only partially dependent on population.

    Incidentally, I generally find it worthwhile to drop a bunch of
    people on Amorphous planets even when I'm not able to gather the
    natives themselves. However, in your (our) situation, it is probably
    wise not to spread your defenses too far with an attack possible.

    Good luck,
    Ashran

    P.S. You should be careful about unnecessarily divulging in-game
    information here. While I had suspected you probably had a scan of my
    homeworld, I wasn't sure...

    Lord Lancelot wrote:
    > Contraband
    >
    > Free stuff lying round on planets:
    >
    > You might not gather any Contraband for several turns. your odds of finding
    > something is related to your race's PSI rating. If you have a PSI of 0 you
    > have a 27.5% chance per turn of finding a contraband item. The amount you
    > gather is reduced if you have less than 1 million colonists on a planet.
    > Most unexplored planets will have some contraband on them that you can
    > gather and sell. It is free money. It is a motivator to expand fast and grab
    > territory as quickly as possible. However, since you now need up to 1
    > million colonists to gather it before the game ends, it's not as big a
    > reason to expand as it used to be.
    > This free contraband is a finite resource; some planets have 10,000 units
    > but most only have about 100.
    >
    > I'm playing the Empire (Psi rating 120) I have found a planet with many
    > amorphous 500k+
    >
    > I know from tim help file, that the amprphous will never join my base, I
    > have none in any of my base.
    >
    > The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
    > about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
    > player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
    > 200k prisonier.
    >
    > I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
    > boost in money fast, or I will die.
    >
    > I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
    > colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
    > attack me with superior # of forces.
    >
    > how fast will I gather with :
    >
    > Colonist
    > 1000
    > 10 000
    > 100 000
    >
    > How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?
    >
    > Does the troop help to gather ?
    > I have only troop on it so far

    I have ship calculator, diplomat.

    Thanks for the info in ship calculator.

    And now you know about the deadly threat to your HW.
    Do you work better under stress ?

    :)

    I did a bad start, waited too long to get Mig, and SD out there. (bad tech
    updrade)

    I'm surprise you managed to get bovinoid in your base, their suppose to run
    away from the Empire.
    But that's good new for me. (unless you got them in an enemy base).

    Lord Lancelot

    <ashrangildowan@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1117230312.418650.313620@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > Hallo LL, this is Ashran (aka Sphere, the other EE player). If you
    > have downloaded the Ship Calculator program, then in the 'Details'
    > screen of each race on the 'Race Data' page at the bottom you will find
    > a percentage chance to find one type of Contraband depending on your
    > population. How much you gather when successful seems to be a random
    > amount that is only partially dependent on population.

    This is common sense but not true.

    GFM GToeroe

    Please hold the line...I will tell the truth...

    GFM GToeroe

    "Lord Lancelot" <lordlancelot@Nospamthankyou.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:_UKle.27565$Ot6.1480060@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > Contraband
    >
    > Free stuff lying round on planets:
    >
    > You might not gather any Contraband for several turns. your odds of finding
    > something is related to your race's PSI rating. If you have a PSI of 0 you
    > have a 27.5% chance per turn of finding a contraband item. The amount you
    > gather is reduced if you have less than 1 million colonists on a planet.
    > Most unexplored planets will have some contraband on them that you can
    > gather and sell. It is free money. It is a motivator to expand fast and grab
    > territory as quickly as possible. However, since you now need up to 1
    > million colonists to gather it before the game ends, it's not as big a
    > reason to expand as it used to be.
    > This free contraband is a finite resource; some planets have 10,000 units
    > but most only have about 100.
    >
    > I'm playing the Empire (Psi rating 120) I have found a planet with many
    > amorphous 500k+
    >
    > I know from tim help file, that the amprphous will never join my base, I
    > have none in any of my base.
    >
    > The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
    > about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
    > player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
    > 200k prisonier.
    >
    > I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
    > boost in money fast, or I will die.
    >
    > I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
    > colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
    > attack me with superior # of forces.
    >
    > how fast will I gather with :
    >
    > Colonist
    > 1000
    > 10 000
    > 100 000
    >
    > How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?
    >
    > Does the troop help to gather ?
    > I have only troop on it so far

    But also you should increase your affords to get needed informations as in this group I've already posted the contraband gather
    mechanics...you could go to the web site of thei group - if you do not already the web interface - and search for " contraband
    gather mechanics".

    GFM GToeroe
    "Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:d7c5r5$rvp$01$1@news.t-online.com...
    > Please hold the line...I will tell the truth...
    >
    > GFM GToeroe
    >
    > "Lord Lancelot" <lordlancelot@Nospamthankyou.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:_UKle.27565$Ot6.1480060@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > > Contraband
    > >
    > > Free stuff lying round on planets:
    > >
    > > You might not gather any Contraband for several turns. your odds of finding
    > > something is related to your race's PSI rating. If you have a PSI of 0 you
    > > have a 27.5% chance per turn of finding a contraband item. The amount you
    > > gather is reduced if you have less than 1 million colonists on a planet.
    > > Most unexplored planets will have some contraband on them that you can
    > > gather and sell. It is free money. It is a motivator to expand fast and grab
    > > territory as quickly as possible. However, since you now need up to 1
    > > million colonists to gather it before the game ends, it's not as big a
    > > reason to expand as it used to be.
    > > This free contraband is a finite resource; some planets have 10,000 units
    > > but most only have about 100.
    > >
    > > I'm playing the Empire (Psi rating 120) I have found a planet with many
    > > amorphous 500k+
    > >
    > > I know from tim help file, that the amprphous will never join my base, I
    > > have none in any of my base.
    > >
    > > The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
    > > about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
    > > player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
    > > 200k prisonier.
    > >
    > > I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
    > > boost in money fast, or I will die.
    > >
    > > I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
    > > colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
    > > attack me with superior # of forces.
    > >
    > > how fast will I gather with :
    > >
    > > Colonist
    > > 1000
    > > 10 000
    > > 100 000
    > >
    > > How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?
    > >
    > > Does the troop help to gather ?
    > > I have only troop on it so far

    Lördchen Lancelötchen does not use the google web interface...... you need
    to post that again....

    Greetings
    Sebastian

    > But also you should increase your affords to get needed informations as in
    > this group I've already posted the contraband gather
    > mechanics...you could go to the web site of thei group - if you do not
    > already the web interface - and search for " contraband
    > gather mechanics".
    >
    > GFM GToeroe
    > "Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Please hold the line...I will tell the truth...
    >>
    >> GFM GToeroe
    >>
    >> "Lord Lancelot" <lordlancelot@Nospamthankyou.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> > Contraband
    >> >
    >> > Free stuff lying round on planets:
    >> >
    >> > You might not gather any Contraband for several turns. your odds of
    >> > finding
    >> > something is related to your race's PSI rating. If you have a PSI of 0
    >> > you
    >> > have a 27.5% chance per turn of finding a contraband item. The amount
    >> > you
    >> > gather is reduced if you have less than 1 million colonists on a
    >> > planet.
    >> > Most unexplored planets will have some contraband on them that you can
    >> > gather and sell. It is free money. It is a motivator to expand fast and
    >> > grab
    >> > territory as quickly as possible. However, since you now need up to 1
    >> > million colonists to gather it before the game ends, it's not as big a
    >> > reason to expand as it used to be.
    >> > This free contraband is a finite resource; some planets have 10,000
    >> > units
    >> > but most only have about 100.
    >> >
    >> > I'm playing the Empire (Psi rating 120) I have found a planet with many
    >> > amorphous 500k+
    >> >
    >> > I know from tim help file, that the amprphous will never join my base,
    >> > have none in any of my base.
    >> >
    >> > The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I
    >> > have
    >> > about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other
    >> > empire
    >> > player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many
    >> > natives,
    >> > 200k prisonier.
    >> >
    >> > I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
    >> > boost in money fast, or I will die.
    >> >
    >> > I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000
    >> > 000
    >> > colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will
    >> > ground
    >> > attack me with superior # of forces.
    >> >
    >> > how fast will I gather with :
    >> >
    >> > Colonist
    >> > 1000
    >> > 10 000
    >> > 100 000
    >> >
    >> > How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?
    >> >
    >> > Does the troop help to gather ?
    >> > I have only troop on it so far

    Now you are really expecting to much from him! ;-O

    Main statement: Gather rates increase linearly up to 400k colonists. Behind 400k the increase is also linear but very flatten.

    The chance for finding peanuts is 0,725 - PSI/400
    The chance for finding big nuggets is PSI/400 + 0,275

    "Peanuts" is defined by the range from min to gap0 with

    min = C/100k and
    gap0= (5+CB/25)*C/400k.

    With a chance of 0,725-PSI/400 a random value between min and gap0 is gathered from the surface.

    "Big nuggets" is defined by the range from gap1 to max where

    gap1 = MAX{ gap0; MIN[CB;200]*MIN[1;C/400k] } and
    max = MAX{ gap1; MIN[1;C/400k] * IIF[ CB< 2000/7; CB; 3*CB/10+200] }

    With a chance of 0,725 - PSI/400 a random value between gap1 and max is gathered from the surface.

    The formulas should hold if CB is still greater than C/100k. The choice of the names gap0 and gap1 comes indeed from a gap
    between peanuts range and big nugget range the occured gathered amounts for a wide range of CB and C.

    As you see the gathered mean increase strongly with C up to 400k. Behind 400k there is still an increase but flater. 400k on two
    is almost (for identical CBs) better than 800k on one planet.

    And 4 x 100k on four planets is almost equal to 400k on one planet (identical CB distributions assumed)

    If the types are different then one have to check something...But in the meanwhile you should have recieved my contraband gather
    efficiency estimator excel sheet, right?

    Always ensure that estimated money stream from gathering is great enough to compensate the loss do to missing tax and city income
    and the costs for new cities on the target planet...

    GFM GToeroe

    "Lord Lancelot" <lordlancelot@Nospamthankyou.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:_UKle.27565$Ot6.1480060@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > Contraband
    >
    > Free stuff lying round on planets:
    >
    > You might not gather any Contraband for several turns. your odds of finding
    > something is related to your race's PSI rating. If you have a PSI of 0 you
    > have a 27.5% chance per turn of finding a contraband item. The amount you
    > gather is reduced if you have less than 1 million colonists on a planet.
    > Most unexplored planets will have some contraband on them that you can
    > gather and sell. It is free money. It is a motivator to expand fast and grab
    > territory as quickly as possible. However, since you now need up to 1
    > million colonists to gather it before the game ends, it's not as big a
    > reason to expand as it used to be.
    > This free contraband is a finite resource; some planets have 10,000 units
    > but most only have about 100.
    >
    > I'm playing the Empire (Psi rating 120) I have found a planet with many
    > amorphous 500k+
    >
    > I know from tim help file, that the amprphous will never join my base, I
    > have none in any of my base.
    >
    > The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
    > about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
    > player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
    > 200k prisonier.
    >
    > I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
    > boost in money fast, or I will die.
    >
    > I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
    > colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
    > attack me with superior # of forces.
    >
    > how fast will I gather with :
    >
    > Colonist
    > 1000
    > 10 000
    > 100 000
    >
    > How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?
    >
    > Does the troop help to gather ?
    > I have only troop on it so far

    BTW: Nameless, this is not taken from any code but extracting from pure but massively simming...

    GFM GToeroe

    "Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:d7ejd4$gm$02$1@news.t-online.com...
> [...]
    > > have none in any of my base.
    > >
    > > The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
    > > about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
    > > player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
    > > 200k prisonier.
    > >
    > > I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
    > > boost in money fast, or I will die.
    > >
    > > I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
    > > colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
    > > attack me with superior # of forces.
    > >
    > > how fast will I gather with :
    > >
    > > Colonist
    > > 1000
    > > 10 000
    > > 100 000
    > >
    > > How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I've forgotten to say something about the mean:

    To be exactly, it is the conditional mean E(G|CB), that means, if assumed, that an amount of CB kT of surface contraband is
    there, then the mean for the randomly gathered amount G is denoted by this E(G|CB).

    E(G|CB) = [0,725 - PSI/400] * [gap0+min]/2 + [PSI/400 + 0,275] * [gap1+max]/2

    Although the series of the gathered amounts for several turns are not independent I treated them as independent to use this above
    formula for the contraband gather efficiency estimator I sent to Klingon Kommand and which could go online in a few days if Paul
    will find it useful and correctly programmed.

> [...]

    > > have none in any of my base.
    > >
    > > The planet with amorphous as over 7000 spices, it very early in game I have
    > > about 2 000 000 colonist on my HW, I'm already attacked by the other empire
    > > player, who is exprienced and is way ahead in money, he has many natives,
    > > 200k prisonier.
    > >
    > > I have no natives yet in my HW, but found many on the map. I need a big
    > > boost in money fast, or I will die.
    > >
    > > I need to get that 7000 spices as fast as possible, but risking 1 000 000
    > > colonist, is too much, because he will know that I'm there and will ground
    > > attack me with superior # of forces.
    > >
    > > how fast will I gather with :
    > >
    > > Colonist
    > > 1000
    > > 10 000
    > > 100 000
    > >
    > > How much would be optimal below 1 000 000 colonist ?

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    > Main statement: Gather rates increase linearly up to 400k colonists. Behind 400k the
    > increase is also linear but very flatten.

    When did you sim this? According to the host change log:

    Feb 15th, 2004

    What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.160

    New: Contraband gather rate slowed down, maximum rate now happens when
    you have 1000000 colonists

    Scytale
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    simmed after 160 and recently confirmed...intention and implementation are two bi-lingual brothers often following worse ways and
    are cautiously to convince climbing hand in hand along the code's course the mountain of gold.

    GFM GToeroe

    "Scytale" <scytale@softhome.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1117641449.651527.48740@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    > > Main statement: Gather rates increase linearly up to 400k colonists. Behind 400k the
    > > increase is also linear but very flatten.
    >
    > When did you sim this? According to the host change log:
    >
    > Feb 15th, 2004
    >
    > What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.160
    >
    > New: Contraband gather rate slowed down, maximum rate now happens when
    > you have 1000000 colonists
    >

    > Scytale

  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    "Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> wrote:

    >simmed after 160 and recently confirmed...intention and implementation are two bi-lingual brothers often following worse ways and
    >are cautiously to convince climbing hand in hand along the code's course the mountain of gold.

    Boy, that saying didn't survive translation! :-)
    I think that I get what you mean though

    Malcolm
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Well, then please say it correctly for me. I would really like to know it.

    GFM GToeroe

    "Malcolm Snelgrove" <greengalah@yahoo-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:27ov91hi3qb8ihmuk0r2urf5i74s8ccqda@4ax.com...
    > "Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> wrote:
    >
    > >simmed after 160 and recently confirmed...intention and implementation are two bi-lingual brothers often following worse ways
    and
    > >are cautiously to convince climbing hand in hand along the code's course the mountain of gold.
    > >
    > Boy, that saying didn't survive translation! :-)
    > I think that I get what you mean though
    >
    > Malcolm
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    >Well, then please say it correctly for me. I would really like to know it.

    Wish I could, getting the idea of what you are saying is a lot easier then
    trying to write it! The closest in English that I know is
    " If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride."
    Your saying sounds a lot more interesting, even if I don't understand bits
    of it.

    Try this one for a colorful saying,
    "Up a shark infested creek in a bardwire canoe without a paddle"
    Means "In deep trouble"

    Regards,
    Malcolm

    "Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> wrote:

    >Well, then please say it correctly for me. I would really like to know it.
    >
    >GFM GToeroe
    >
    >"Malcolm Snelgrove" <greengalah@yahoo-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:27ov91hi3qb8ihmuk0r2urf5i74s8ccqda@4ax.com...
    >> "Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> wrote:
    >>
    >> >simmed after 160 and recently confirmed...intention and implementation are two bi-lingual brothers often following worse ways
    >and
    >> >are cautiously to convince climbing hand in hand along the code's course the mountain of gold.
    >> >
    >> Boy, that saying didn't survive translation! :-)
    >> I think that I get what you mean though
    >>
    >> Malcolm

Games Surface Video Games