Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cpu 35-40 degrees hotter than cores on Intel core i5 760

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 31, 2011 6:14:27 AM

hey everyone, i was just wondering if this sounds right. After playing a few games for call of duty modern warfare 2 on my computer, my core temps read roughly 35-40 degrees. But my cpu temp is usually around 74 degrees, which seems pretty hot. I have the coolermaster hyper plus 212 cooler, and nothing is overclocked. Any info to why this is happening would be helpful.Thanks
a c 112 à CPUs
May 31, 2011 6:17:10 AM

what kind of cpu?
specs please.
coz if your using a core 2, i7 or phenom them temps could be normal or off... so help us help you...
Score
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2011 8:36:45 AM

If Core = CPU, they cannot differ by that much. Are you not referring to the GPU temp as being 74?
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2011 1:23:52 PM

Cpu temperature refers to the temperature at the heat spreader, usually called case temp on Intel chips. The case temperature can't be more than the core temperature. What are you using to read your temps?
Score
May 31, 2011 2:40:08 PM

HEXiT said:
what kind of cpu?
specs please.
coz if your using a core 2, i7 or phenom them temps could be normal or off... so help us help you...

Well I have the Core i5 760, with an msi P55a-g55 motherboard. The programs I used to find the temps are speedfan, hwmonitor, realtemp, and everest. Earlier this week I installed a new heatsink because my cpu and cores were all reading approximately 80+ degrees. Once the heatsink was installed, the core temps dramatically dropped but the cpu temp barely moved. My graphics card is the pny gtx 470, which temperature usually stays roughly 3-5 degrees hotter than the cpu at all times.
Score
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2011 3:24:05 PM

I would trust realtemp, the other software seems to be reporting the CPU temp incorrectly. Without looking it up,I believe the CPU temperature max for your chip is around 74c. So if that's the case you would be throttling your chip, and it doesn't sound like that's happening. General rule of thumb with modern Intel chips is try to keep the cores under 70c while under heavy load.
Score
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2011 5:49:04 PM

(1) I'm guessing that all the 3rd party software are reporting simular temps (I'm sure you would have indicated if they differed).
(2) Must ask, You did install the thermal paste correctly - three lines, NOT pea size (or grain of rice) in center.
(3) Did your MB come with a utility disk which shows CPU temp. Normally manuf utiltiy programes do not show individual core temps, but do show CPU temp and I would trust this more than 3rd party. Also how does BIOS temp compare to idle temp. (Can NOT do this for SB CPUs).

To verify Temps under load I normally use Prime95. You should reach close to max temps within 15 Minutes. This temp will be HIGHER than what you see in games.

General comment on 3rd party software - I've found that most do a good job on Core temps, But CPU temp can be a mixed bag and veries by MB Manuf. I like HWMonitor and it works well on my Gigabyte P55 MB (I5-750 Oced to 3.2), but is lousy on my new Asrock Z68 Extreme4 - The ONLY thing it does correctly is the individual core temps - CPU temp is off in left field.

Added: Did not see anything indicating that you overclocked your I5. So Core temps look about normal. My OCed I5-750 runs mid 50's to High 50's w/prime95.
Score
May 31, 2011 11:45:14 PM

okay, so to answer your questions, yes all the 3rd party programs had roughly the same temperature readings. I used the credit card method the spread the thermal paste, then checked to make sure i did not put too much. I checked the temp on the utility disk, and found that the temperature was 7 degrees lower than what was stated by speedfan. Nothing is overclocked, though what i found was weird is that when i was looking at the utility disk, the core speed was fluctuating between 1197Mhz and 2900Mhz. Again any info would be helpful, thanks. (also if someone could put up a link where to download prime95 that would be helpful, Thanks!)
Score
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2011 12:29:45 AM

I think you will find that the fluctuations are a result of speedstep. When the cpu is basiclly idle the speed is cut back, then when you put the CPU to work it jumps up. Under prime95 cpu speed should stay @ 2.9 GHz

Prime95 (about midway down the page: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Added: 74-7=67C, Thats still on the High side for a NonOC on the 212+ Based on this monitor your temps closely (All 4 cores + cpu) while running prime95, stop program if they get to high - DO NOT just exit. go to file, stop. That much diff between core(s) and CPU may indicated a defective CPU senor.
Score
June 1, 2011 1:18:11 AM

RetiredChief said:
I think you will find that the fluctuations are a result of speedstep. When the cpu is basiclly idle the speed is cut back, then when you put the CPU to work it jumps up. Under prime95 cpu speed should stay @ 2.9 GHz

Prime95 (about midway down the page: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Added: 74-7=67C, Thats still on the High side for a NonOC on the 212+ Based on this monitor your temps closely (All 4 cores + cpu) while running prime95, stop program if they get to high - DO NOT just exit. go to file, stop. That much diff between core(s) and CPU may indicated a defective CPU senor.

ok thanks, you were right about the cpu speed. On another note, after running prime95 for about 30 mins, the highest cpu temp was 42 degrees, 3 degrees lower than the hottest core. Though when i started call of duty, the cpu shot back up to 74 degrees, 45 degrees higher than the hottest core, and the same thing happened when i started Starcraft 2. Then i exited the games, and went onto the msi control center to find the cpu temp read 32 degrees, only a couple degrees hotter than the cores. Then another problem arose because after about a minute of running the control center, it set of an alarm, which i had no clue what was the cause. Thanks for any input!
Score
June 1, 2011 1:40:23 AM

ok, so i figured out that the alarm had to do with the cpu fan speed, so thats not a problem. Just basically i want to know if its possible for my cpu heat to be much higher than my core heat. If not then theres probably just a problem with the sensor. thanks
Score
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2011 2:03:55 AM

I do not see cpu temp being hotter than the individual core temps
On a 2nd note, Games should not raise the CPU temp more than Prime 95. Prime95 should run all 4 cores close to 100%, games will not. Something strange (have not encounter this, nor seen any thread indicating this). The GPU should heat up (Prime 95 will not heat the GPU). This could be dumping more heat into the case. Does your GPU dump the air into the case, or out the back?

Have to leave, but will check thread tommarrow - Mabe someone else has some insight.
Score
June 1, 2011 2:16:15 AM

I guess that could make sense, seeing that the cpu heat is always 3-5 degrees lower than the gpu heat. Though the graphics card does has a full case, so i would think that the heat would all pour out the back. If it is the gpu which is causing the problem, is it something to worry about, or would that not affect the cpu? thanks
Score
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2011 3:15:05 AM

Back for a min.
Your CPU temp is hotter running games vs Prime95, But shouldn't be.
A though hit me as you have the 212+. In another thread that I was following someone else had the Hyper 212+ and had the fan blowing Up toward the top fan. I think he could not orientate the HSF to blow toward the rear.

How do you have yours? reason I ask is if it is blowing up, then when you play games it could be drawing Hot air from the GPU which would cause the CPU to run Hotter, and would affect the CPU temp more than the core temps.

How are your case fans set up? Rear show draw air out the back, front are intake, side normally intake and to out. HSF should blow toward the back. Normally the Dirrection of HSF (up vs out back) should only make a few degress C diff - But if it is drawing air across the GPU that could be the reason. The temp of your CPU is dirrectly proportional to the air blowing across the cooling fins/heatpipes.
Score
June 1, 2011 4:38:32 AM

2304733,14,131326 said:
Back for a min.
Your CPU temp is hotter running games vs Prime95, But shouldn't be.
A though hit me as you have the 212+. In another thread that I was following someone else had the Hyper 212+ and had the fan blowing Up toward the top fan. I think he could not orientate the HSF to blow toward the rear.

How do you have yours? reason I ask is if it is blowing up, then when you play games it could be drawing Hot air from the GPU which would cause the CPU to run Hotter, and would affect the CPU temp more than the core temps.

How are your case fans set up? Rear show draw air out the back, front are intake, side normally intake and to out. HSF should blow toward the back. Normally the Dirrection of HSF (up vs out back) should only make a few degress C diff - But if it is drawing air across the GPU that could be the reason. The temp of your CPU is dirrectly proportional to the air blowing across the cooling fins/heatpipes.[/quotemsg

well right now i have two exhaust fans directly beside the heatsink,one across it and one above it, my case is quite small so everything is a bit of a squeeze. the heatsink fan has the exhaust blowing towards the back of the case, though the intake is right next the the RAM. I will mess around with the fan setup tomorrow and let you know! thanks
Score
a c 112 à CPUs
June 1, 2011 5:29:39 AM

have you upgraded the bios recently?.
have you loaded optimized defaults in bios to see if it sorts out the temps?
have you turned energy saving off ?. as this will force the cpu fan to run at full thus dropping temps.
have you checked the fan rpm against the manufacturers claims?. if its off by more than 10% rma it.
if you have done all these check then look at the fitting of the cooler. make sure the back plate is fitted correctly if it has 1.
remove and reapply the cooler and its paste.
make sure you apply the paste in the proper fashion.
then see if you have fixed the problem.
Score
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2011 2:02:02 PM

HEXiT - The steps you outlined are all great for common temp problems. Based on his statement (first quote), 45 C after 30 mins of prime 95, to me would indicate that the HSF set up is good. His problem is when the GPU is in gaming mode temps CPU temps are MUCH highter than running prime 95.

Based on:
Quote: after running prime95 for about 30 mins, the highest cpu temp was 42 degrees, 3 degrees lower than the hottest core. Though when i started call of duty, the cpu shot back up to 74 degrees, End quote

And
Quote: well right now i have two exhaust fans directly beside the heatsink,one across it and one above it, my case is quite small End quote

3 exhaust and NO intake + small case plus the PSU fan depending on it could add a forth exhaust fan very likely = negative air pressure inside case. ?? No front Intake fans??

Try leaving the side panel off and retest. You can also try using a small house fan to blow in to case (with side panel off) and retest. If either of these solve the problem, than you have your answer, If not we fall back fifty yards and punt like mad.
Score
June 1, 2011 2:56:25 PM

Alright, i'll try all the suggestions today. I'm pretty sure the heat has something to do with the graphics card since the gpu temp is always between 3-5 degrees hotter than the cpu.
Score
June 1, 2011 11:01:31 PM

ok so i opened up the case and aimed a large fan inside going at full speed. The cpu temperature dropped by about 4 degrees. so after gaming it was at about 69 degrees, but again it was always within 3-5 degrees of the gpu.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 2, 2011 3:33:19 AM

For comparison, My system:
I5-750 OC @ 3.2 GHz, GPU=ATI 5770 OC @ 960/1445, HSF=Zalman9700LED
Case= good w/ 1 rear fan 140x140x38, 2 ea front 120x120x25 and one top 220mm fan.

Test A = idle: B = Prime 95 (Blend): and C = Furmark GPU burn in test.
Ambient temp approx 75 (24C)
...............CPU...........Individual cores.....GPU
A.............. 25 ........ 34..33..34..33........40
B.............. 47 ........ 55..55..54..55........40
B.............. 31 ........ 41..36..37..36........79

In my system running furmark increased GPU by 39C , But CPU only increased 6C
qualifier: I'm not a gamer. While furmark will stress test the GPU it may not increase CPU utilization as much as a game will.

Maybe a gamer can chime in on how much gaming will raise CPU temp (But should not be more than running prime 95).
June 2, 2011 5:27:07 AM

RetiredChief said:
For comparison, My system:
I5-750 OC @ 3.2 GHz, GPU=ATI 5770 OC @ 960/1445, HSF=Zalman9700LED
Case= good w/ 1 rear fan 140x140x38, 2 ea front 120x120x25 and one top 220mm fan.

Test A = idle: B = Prime 95 (Blend): and C = Furmark GPU burn in test.
Ambient temp approx 75 (24C)
...............CPU...........Individual cores.....GPU
A.............. 25 ........ 34..33..34..33........40
B.............. 47 ........ 55..55..54..55........40
B.............. 31 ........ 41..36..37..36........79

In my system running furmark increased GPU by 39C , But CPU only increased 6C
qualifier: I'm not a gamer. While furmark will stress test the GPU it may not increase CPU utilization as much as a game will.

Maybe a gamer can chime in on how much gaming will raise CPU temp (But should not be more than running prime 95).

okay so i took this furmark gpu test. The maximum the gpu went was to 90 degrees, which is quite hot, but gtx 470's are known to get pretty hot. Again, the cpu temp followed the gpu temp and went up to 86 degrees, which was 52 degrees hotter than the highest core. Then i opened up the side of my compuer and had a large fan blowing inside to make sure that the cpu fan wasnt taking the gpu heat as intake. Again the cpu heat went up to 85 degrees, so therefore im beginning to come to the conclusion that my cpu sensor is probably broken.
Score
June 3, 2011 5:07:05 AM

Best answer selected by SK_Patticus.
Score
June 4, 2011 10:56:25 PM

SK_Patticus said:
okay so i took this furmark gpu test. The maximum the gpu went was to 90 degrees, which is quite hot, but gtx 470's are known to get pretty hot. Again, the cpu temp followed the gpu temp and went up to 86 degrees, which was 52 degrees hotter than the highest core. Then i opened up the side of my compuer and had a large fan blowing inside to make sure that the cpu fan wasnt taking the gpu heat as intake. Again the cpu heat went up to 85 degrees, so therefore im beginning to come to the conclusion that my cpu sensor is probably broken.

Alright so i guess since no one else has replied, i'm making the right assumption here. thanks for everyone's help :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2011 1:17:35 PM

I'm not convinced, but there's no hard evidence really.
Score
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2011 1:20:24 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!