Sign in with
Your question

Asus rampage iv extreme

Last response: in Motherboards
January 31, 2012 4:15:09 AM

does this thing support ssd cachein?? i asked this b4 but got an ambiguous answer. does anyone know from first hand if they were able to get ssd cache to work?

More about : asus rampage extreme

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 31, 2012 7:26:10 AM

After a month of having this board , you are still trying to get it to work..... with SSD Caching....

Did you see the video that was posted in your first question about this earlier?
Did you follow the steps that were provided by that guy?
What SSD are you trying to use for caching?
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 31, 2012 7:46:01 AM

I believe to get the SSD caching to work you will need to plug the SSD and the HDD in the Asmedia SATA 6GBps Ports on your Mobo, the Rampage IV Extreme.
m
l
January 31, 2012 2:39:40 PM

alyoshka said:
After a month of having this board , you are still trying to get it to work..... with SSD Caching....

Did you see the video that was posted in your first question about this earlier?
Did you follow the steps that were provided by that guy?
What SSD are you trying to use for caching?

after a month of asking no one can give me a straight answer.
1, i dont have the processor yet because its been all out of stock
2, it doest have that asus ssd cache in the program suit (2) it comes with
3, i cant follow the steps in the video because of 1, and 2
4, im using a ocz vertex 2 40gb
5, yes i saw the video im only making another thread because it didnt work. isnt that what your suppose to do?
m
l
January 31, 2012 8:32:34 PM

so yea.. anyone with actual experience?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2012 9:25:49 PM

As a owner of a R4E as far as i can see from my usage and bios setting the R4E does NOT support SSD caching.
Any R4E owner with SSD caching working your welcome to prove me wrong.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 1, 2012 1:40:16 AM

You can download the Asus SSD cache suit from the site.
m
l
February 1, 2012 4:02:13 AM

kitsunestarwind said:
As a owner of a R4E as far as i can see from my usage and bios setting the R4E does NOT support SSD caching.
Any R4E owner with SSD caching working your welcome to prove me wrong.

thank you.. actual proof from ownership.
m
l
February 1, 2012 4:02:34 AM

alyoshka said:
You can download the Asus SSD cache suit from the site.

i couldnt find it. could you please provide the link
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 1, 2012 4:33:09 AM

What OS will you be using?
Win7 32 bit or 64 bit?
Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 1, 2012 4:45:41 AM

This is the whole suit and contains this too.
ASUS SSD Caching V1.00.07 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/AISuite_II_...

Or
ASUS SSD Caching V1.00.04 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/P9X79-WS/Ut...

Both these are for different mobos but you need to install only the SSD Caching Utility and not the Whole thing, remember.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 1, 2012 4:47:26 AM

Also don't forget to update the BIOS of the Board to the latest one that is available from the website itself.
m
l
February 2, 2012 1:10:21 AM

alyoshka said:
This is the whole suit and contains this too.
ASUS SSD Caching V1.00.07 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/AISuite_II_...

Or
ASUS SSD Caching V1.00.04 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/P9X79-WS/Ut...

Both these are for different mobos but you need to install only the SSD Caching Utility and not the Whole thing, remember.

ok so their for different mobos.. so how sure are you that this will work?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 2, 2012 2:15:55 AM

It's a software, how dangerous is it going to be to try after spending big bucks on a mobo and missing out on a feature which half the world wants but can't afford?
lol.
You download it, install it and let us know. Of course after you get the processor I guess.
m
l
February 2, 2012 2:53:29 AM

alyoshka said:
It's a software, how dangerous is it going to be to try after spending big bucks on a mobo and missing out on a feature which half the world wants but can't afford?
lol.
You download it, install it and let us know. Of course after you get the processor I guess.

it could be very dangerous and up my whole thing.. so yea...
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 2, 2012 3:00:14 AM

Well,you're mistaken. It can't do crap to the rig, it's a OEM Software, and they are the safest to fool around with. Especially since they say, USE a empty SSD.... I really don't see it effecting the hardware in ANYWAY what so ever, no controllers messed with, no BIOS setting sc***ed around with, no thermals effected.
But since you FEEL, that it could effect the rig. You ought to stick with just using the given features that the Mobo Manual and literature suggests...

So bottomline. If this satisfies you, is your mobo doesn't support SSD caching.
m
l
February 3, 2012 2:57:30 PM

k well it didnt work.. my friend tried it and it was a epic fail lol..
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 3, 2012 4:18:54 PM

I have a Sabertooth X79, same ASUS SSD Caching, you need to use the ASMedia or Marvell (not Intel) SATA3 ports. Then open the AI Suite and configure from there; I never install the AI Suite. IMO it's a waste, and I have no desire to use it or set it up.

I have a large SSD and if I want really fast then RAID 0 SSD's, or SSD + RAM Drive (or RAM Cache). Cache drives have a very short lifespan with constant Writes, in contrast a dedicated SSD MUCH few writes.

If you don't have your CPU yet then How are you running into epic failures??

-- edit fixed ASMedia oversight.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 3, 2012 4:18:57 PM

Well, what all did he try? Care to share that with us...
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 3, 2012 4:23:21 PM

Marvell is on the X79 not on the Rampage, it uses Asmedia controllers. He's already been told that in the third post.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 3, 2012 4:30:05 PM

alyoshka said:
Marvell is on the X79 not on the Rampage, it uses Asmedia controllers. He's already been told that in the third post.

Then use the ASMedia SATA3 ports, just not the Intel ports.
m
l
February 4, 2012 4:07:49 PM

my friend has the same board as me just the other processor 3960k.. and he couldnt get it to work.

buttt will that ocz synapses work?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 5:06:59 PM

If your friend used the wrong SATA ports, my assumption, then no it wouldn't work...
m
l
February 5, 2012 12:39:26 AM

oh.. how can you tell what ports run on what chipset?
m
l
February 5, 2012 1:05:55 AM

nvm ignore that
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 5, 2012 3:54:26 AM

:) 
m
l
February 5, 2012 4:42:07 AM

wait... in the book for the rive it shows intel smart response tech? like setting it up in raid settings.. whats the diff between that and ssd cache?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 5, 2012 10:55:17 AM

Both are a form of SSD caching. Intel SRT is support on the Z68 chipset up to 64GB on a SSD, but it is not supported on the X79 chipset. Whereas, ASUS's SSD Caching is its' own thing and doesn't have a maximum SSD limit.
m
l
February 5, 2012 3:44:52 PM

jaquith said:
Both are a form of SSD caching. Intel SRT is support on the Z68 chipset up to 64GB on a SSD, but it is not supported on the X79 chipset. Whereas, ASUS's SSD Caching is its' own thing and doesn't have a maximum SSD limit.

oh.. ok.. since i cant do both. would putting my ssd in a raid 0 config with my 1tb hdd be a good idea?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 5, 2012 4:46:43 PM

For a RAID 0 SSD {Cache} to HDD that cannot be done, and would be a horrible waste and bad idea.

IF what you meant is to RAID 0 SSD {OS, Apps, Working Data} + 1TB HDD {Storage} then that's a better idea; in that case use the Intel SATA ports.

I typically SSD {OS, Apps, Working Data} + RAID 1 HDD {Storage} <or> RAID 0 2 or more SSD {OS, Apps, Working Data} + RAID 1 HDD {Storage}; plus some form of additional backup layer e.g. NAS or Windows Home Server.
m
l
February 5, 2012 5:29:09 PM

jaquith said:
For a RAID 0 SSD {Cache} to HDD that cannot be done, and would be a horrible waste and bad idea.

IF what you meant is to RAID 0 SSD {OS, Apps, Working Data} + 1TB HDD {Storage} then that's a better idea; in that case use the Intel SATA ports.

I typically SSD {OS, Apps, Working Data} + RAID 1 HDD {Storage} <or> RAID 0 2 or more SSD {OS, Apps, Working Data} + RAID 1 HDD {Storage}; plus some form of additional backup layer e.g. NAS or Windows Home Server.

oh ok..so how do you set everything to save to the hdd instead of the ssd since it will only have os apps and working data on it?
m
l
February 7, 2012 2:49:40 PM

but if anyone knows how to get ssd cache to work on the rampage iev extreme lmk please
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 7, 2012 5:55:08 PM

I told you:
1. ASMedia ports: 1 HDD + 1 SSD
2. Make sure both drives are formatted
3. Install the ASUS AI Suite 'crapware' then follow the video that @alyoshka linked

If it's not working then you're missing one of the three steps above. Intel ports are NOT supported, the is NOT Intel RST.
m
l
February 10, 2012 10:45:32 PM

kay.
m
l
February 15, 2012 3:13:56 AM

i installed the asus ssd cache thing along with all the drivers that came on the disc.. and it gave me this error "saying access violation" is that because it was from another board? or because i didnt have the ssd in.. lol...
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 15, 2012 12:26:53 PM

How did you install Windows? Fresh, Clone or Transfer.

Either install the latest ASMedia for your OS -> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Ramp... or try the Rollback if using the 'latest driver'; more than likely it's a driver issue. Further, I assume in the Device Manager there's NO {? or !} aka bad/missing drivers.

Also, I never use the OEM CD/DVD drivers from ASUS or any other MOBO, and instead always pre-download the latest drivers to a Flash Drive from the OEM site. Not to mention new builds ALL latest 'known good': Firmware (SSD/HDD/ODD), BIOS, etc are verified and the latest versions; after I run a brief check in the Forums for known problems. Good building habits. ;) 
m
l
February 15, 2012 2:15:21 PM

oh ok thanks.. i will try that update when i get home.. oh also what is a good wireless card to get? thats internal.. right now im using wired but its temporary because i dont want to run a cord through 3 rooms..
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 15, 2012 4:44:35 PM

Never use a 'wireless WiFi' on a Desktop PC unless there's absolutely no other solution e.g. you're 'borrowing' somebody's free WiFi. Instead, look at a PowerLine solution. You could run CAT 5e or CAT 6 in the attic/crawl space yourself, it's not that hard to do.

Here's a video of Wired vs Powerline vs Wireless, note the speeds now are at least twice as fast on Powerline. Some newer Routers are integrating all (3).

Wired vs Powerline vs Wireless:

Buy -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
edit just noted this new video, I liked the model with the built-in switch -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsMpPmuomdc

Hy-Fi Hybrid 1905.1:

from video:
D-Link DHP-1320 Wireless N Powerline Router
D-Link PowerLine AV Wireless N Extender

In my home all but one connection is wired CAT-6 (Router, Wireless, Access Points, Switches, Network Extender/cell phones), the one place where I oopsy forgot wired outlet I use a Powerline and it works just fine: Good low latency, sufficient + steady bandwidth, secured via encryption, very reliable, and no bouncy bandwidth (drops) that you get with wireless (b/g/n). Wireless is only for Phones and Notebooks (even in the bedrooms I added CAT-6 for the Notebooks); there's no way I'd use a wireless card on a $3K+ PC.
m
l
February 15, 2012 7:55:06 PM

jaquith said:
Never use a 'wireless WiFi' on a Desktop PC unless there's absolutely no other solution e.g. you're 'borrowing' somebody's free WiFi. Instead, look at a PowerLine solution. You could run CAT 5e or CAT 6 in the attic/crawl space yourself, it's not that hard to do.

Here's a video of Wired vs Powerline vs Wireless, note the speeds now are at least twice as fast on Powerline. Some newer Routers are integrating all (3).

Wired vs Powerline vs Wireless:

Buy -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
edit just noted this new video, I liked the model with the built-in switch -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsMpPmuomdc

Hy-Fi Hybrid 1905.1:

from video:
D-Link DHP-1320 Wireless N Powerline Router
D-Link PowerLine AV Wireless N Extender

In my home all but one connection is wired CAT-6 (Router, Wireless, Access Points, Switches, Network Extender/cell phones), the one place where I oopsy forgot wired outlet I use a Powerline and it works just fine: Good low latency, sufficient + steady bandwidth, secured via encryption, very reliable, and no bouncy bandwidth (drops) that you get with wireless (b/g/n). Wireless is only for Phones and Notebooks (even in the bedrooms I added CAT-6 for the Notebooks); there's no way I'd use a wireless card on a $3K+ PC.

i was thinking about running a power line because its easiest.. but will usage of that line by other electrical products cause interference? such as a dryer and washing machine?or even another computer and tv.. or even something as small as a desk lamp?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 15, 2012 8:46:40 PM

No, you won't have interference as you described the Powerline uses totally different frequencies outside of appliance 'noise', and Powerline is a very mature solution. I've had a couple of Linksys since almost day one. Obviously, if you have a power outage they won't work, you'll lose the connection and I do NOT recommend you use them off a power-strip or UPS i.e. only directly connected to the wall socket or simple extension cord only.

In my case they're connected to the router on one end and a 5 port switch on the other, for: PS3, Xbox, HTPC and 50" plasma TV. Netflix never has a problem and I can stream any local media. ;) 
m
l
February 15, 2012 9:23:15 PM

oh i was wondering if i could buy another modem(wired only) and hook it up to another phone line while having my existing one still running (wireless mode) for everyone else who uses wireless..

could i buy multiple power-line adapters? or do they only work in pairs?
m
l
February 16, 2012 2:18:36 PM

ok i have another question.. i put my build together.. (with no cache... lol) then with no over clock i ran prime95 and real temps.. all my temps seem fine they go up to 50-55 degrees when running prime 95 but once it hit 5 threads it caused my computer to restart.. and it restarts instantly when i start it with 12 threads running.... my memory seems OK because all 16gb shows up..
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 16, 2012 2:44:20 PM

Yesterday:
First, the phone I assume you mean a home cordless phone interfering with the 802.11xx - in the past there were some issues with older cordless phones supposedly interfering with WiFi. The current phones don't have that problem.

Yes toy can fill your house with Powerline as long as they share the same encryption (codes).

Today:
Q - What HSF are you using?
Q - Did you install it correctly? (mounts & thermal paste)
Q - Did you ever, even once remove the HSF?
Q - What case?
Q - Did you install any of the ASUS Utilities?
Q - What RAM?
Q - Is the RAM is the correct DIMM slots?

m
l
February 17, 2012 1:38:36 AM

jaquith said:
Yesterday:
First, the phone I assume you mean a home cordless phone interfering with the 802.11xx - in the past there were some issues with older cordless phones supposedly interfering with WiFi. The current phones don't have that problem.

Yes toy can fill your house with Powerline as long as they share the same encryption (codes).

Today:
Q - What case?
Q - What RAM?

WiFi: thanks for the help/advice

Today:
A - I am using hyper 212+
A - Yes, the temperature from the asus suit/realtemp and coretemps all say it was running 30-39 Celsius at idle. then it jumps to 50 when i start prime 95 at 3 threads (at 4 threads it restarts my computer)
A - No,i never removed the HSF i just recently installed it about a day ago.
A - I am using the 800d
A - yes i installed the Asus suit II also all the drives on the cd (which i will update once i get the internet going)
A - This is the exact ram im using. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
A - I believe it is in the correct spot. while i was at school I started to wonder if i had placed then in the wrong slot. because the booklet kinda confused me on which ones i should have filled first. in addition to that it shows the correct amount of ram (16gb under cpuzid and task manager and under "Control panel -> properties."
m
l
February 17, 2012 1:42:51 AM

jaquith said:
Yesterday:

Today:
Q - What case?
Q - What RAM?

i found this about the ram? does this really have to do anything with it crashing? i did not do this thats why
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=17VKzOB5CL5EtIe...
m
l
February 17, 2012 3:38:12 AM

also my max tdp for the 3930k says its 130watts on cpu-z but when its at 100% load it says the power is 135.8watts on core temps(program name)
m
l
February 17, 2012 5:44:43 AM

basically only the z68 & X79 chipsets supports ssd caching.
Both Question if anyone knows (not to sure) Intel SSDs are one of few that support caching?

-format(unless using MSI board no need)
-enable srt
-intel rapid storage technology

from what i understand
m
l
!