mr0be00

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I have been pouring over these forums and guides and have realized I am confusing myself with too many options!

Approximate Purchase Date: This week!

Budget Range: 500-800 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Shogun: Total War, Dragon Age 2, The Old Republic)

Parts Not Required: OS, Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers. Just need the box!

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I have no attachment to any in particular. Trustworthy.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: No preference

Overclocking: I would like the option to explore in the future but not a deal breaker.

SLI or Crossfire: I would like the option to explore in the future but not a deal breaker.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I have a 2008 mac pro as my main computer for work. I am looking for a PC rig 100% for gaming. My main concern is to be able to play the games listed above and to not be left behind for a reasonable amount of time. If possible at this budget, I would like a decent platform to expand on. SLI/ Crossfire, overclocking etc would be fun. I would like, if possible, to perhaps start with a single card setup with the ability to expand to 2 cards in the future after the prices drop. I realize I may be asking too much in this budget. If that is the case, SLI/ crossfire/ overclocking can understandably get the axe. Thanks so much!

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Sweet, then we are in business.

This machine will do everything you have asked including overclocking, with room for a second video card. On top of that the case has a window, and is outfitted with extra blue LED fans. It matches the one I have on my desk right now.

CPU: PHENOM II X4 840 for $100 Includes

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H for $124 After Rebate

Combo discount for AMD CPU and motherboard: $40, good until 3/6

Video: PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 6850 for $160 AR from Newegg

RAM: 4GB DDR3-1333 for $40

Hard Drive: Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB for $60

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower Case for $35 Only comes with one fan, so you need to add at least one more.

Fans: 3 X 120 x 120 mm Long Life Bearing Blue LED for $18 OK, I know I said one more, but 3 more is even better!

Power Supply: OCZ StealthXStream 500 Watt for $31 after rebate This is a really good Micro Center price, but is not really hefty enough for crossfire. Here is a Newegg selection that will fit the bill: OCZ StealthXstream II OCZ700SXS2 700W for $68 AR The $68 one is included int he total below.

Heat Sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for $23

Total: $588 after rebates and discounts, plus sales tax. Go on-line to Micro Center and make sure all these parts are in stock at your store. Order the major ones before you go, and they will have them for you when you arrive. Good Luck.

In that link
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html
965BE + MSI 870A-G54 $190

Items off Egg
$398AR
Untitled-1495.jpg

$588AR Total

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
ScrewySqrl has a really good point here. He is recommending that you wait a few weeks to get the SandyBridge processor. It costs more, but there are definite performance advantages. Check this Tom's article out for comparison: Conclusion: Sandy Bridge Has Game.

Also, Micro Center has the 2500k CPU on sale for $200, but the motherboards will not be out until sometime later this month.

Oh, in the last post, I forgot the DVD burner: LG GH22NS50 22X for $18