Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New PC Parts List

Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2011 6:08:54 PM

Hello,

This is the first time I am going to build a pc on my own. I just got a Best Buy store card and would like to use it to buy the following parts to put together. I just would like to know if the following parts will fit in the case and work together flawlessly. The purpose of this pc is for viewing movies and light gaming such as nba live series, need for speed series, and sonic sega all star racing.

1. Thermaltake - Soprano Mid-Tower Case - Black
Model: VG7000BWS

2. Intel® - Core™ i5-750 Processor and ATX Desktop Motherboard Bundle
Model: i5-750-DP55WG-BNDL

3. Dynex™ - 400-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply
Model: DX-400WPS

4. Western Digital - Caviar GP 1TB Internal Hard Drive
Model: WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN

5. MSI - ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card
Model: R4350-MD512

6. Corsair - 4GB XMS CL 9 DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory
Model: CMX4GX3M1A1333C9

I'd just like to know if these products will work together and will it fit in the case.

By the way, I will be using my older dvd drive from my dell dimension 8400.

Thanks

More about : parts list

a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2011 6:14:41 PM

Its not going to do anything very well. That 4350 isnt going to handle gaming at all, and on the best buy site i see them going for between 40 and 70, for 70 you can pick up a 5570 off of newegg for about the same and it will do much much better.

Dont buy a PSU from Best Buy, their selection is crap and they mostly only stock crap.

If you are only going to be running a low powered card in the future get the Corsair 430CX off of newegg, its going to be a lot better than that dynex unit.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2011 6:23:14 PM

deanm007 said:

I just got a Best Buy store card and would like to use it to buy the following parts to put together.

When you say a Best Buy store card do you mean like a gift card? If so, how much $ is that for, and were you planning on spending any money beyond the amount on the gift card?

The reason I ask those two questions is that there are a lot of things that are ok at best buy, but some computer components simply stink at Best Buy... meaning they don't stock a lot of stuff, and what they do carry is typically over priced.
So if we know the amount of the gift card then we can figure out what things would be best purchased with the BB gift card vs what other things would be better to buy elsewhere.

Also, as a side note, please don't select any PC components by going to best buy and looking at what's on the shelf. You'll end up with crap straight across the board, at the very least browse their online offerings and then pick them up at your local store (saves shipping picking them up locally vs ordering online and having them delivered to your home).
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2011 6:27:21 PM

I understand that Best Buy is not the best place to buy quality stuff, but I have no choice now. I cannot shell out the cash up front. I need to use the card. Maybe you can suggest a better graphics card at Best Buy?
m
l
March 1, 2011 6:32:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yea, the card is worth $500. Its a store card, not a gift card. I could possibly spend $150 extra. Very tight on budget.
m
l
March 1, 2011 7:08:07 PM

I'd be very grateful if someone can give me a list of components that I can buy at Best Buy and the remaining at another place according to my budget constraints. Thanks
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2011 7:10:50 PM

What type of monitor would you be using? The resolution of the monitor goes a long way to deciding what type of graphics card you can get away with.
m
l
March 1, 2011 7:23:10 PM

I am using dual screens on an ati Radeon x300 series graphics card. LG Flatron and Samsung SyncMaster I am currently on 1280 by 1024 pixels.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2011 7:40:52 PM

Are there any parts of your existing PC that you can move over to this one to save money, or will you need both old and new PC's complete?

Also, do you need an operating system?
m
l
March 1, 2011 7:56:54 PM

I have a windows xp 64 bit edition operating system cd which I'd like to install. Also I can use the old sound card, ethernet card, dvd rom drive, and dvd rw/ cd rw recording drive.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2011 1:46:56 AM

Well the first issue I see with your initial list is that your processor + motherboard bundle comes to $359. You're not going to be able to start there and make it in under $500.

Here are two general sources that might be a good place to start getting ideas together. They have various examples of what you can generally get at different price points.
First would be the builds that Aznshinobi has listed in his sig. He seems to regularly update them, so the info is pretty up to date.
Here is link to his profile, hit the signature link and it will take you to his builds page.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/profile-497688.htm

Also every few month's Tom's does a builder marathon where they try to build the best system at various price levels. Those are listed in the 'Articles' section under 'How to'.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/How-To,4/Build-Your...

So those are general guides, but since you're limited to Best Buy you probably will not be able to get the same bang for the buck since those build generally shop around for deals, rebates, and bundles.

So getting into specifics for the Best Buy scenario, I would moved down a couple of notches on the processor. There are a few AMD builds that would probably be a better place to start.

Processors
(prices for CPU's from Bestbuy, this doesn't include motherboard)

$80 AMD - Athlon™ II X2 Processor 260
$90 AMD - Athlon™ II X3 Processor 450
$125 AMD - Athlon™ II X4 Processor 645
$154 AMD - Black Edition Deneb Phenom™ II X4 Processor 955

The $90 CPU seems like the best price spot to me, but the others are listed in case we want to come back and move up or down a notch later.

Motherboards

$74.99 Asus - Micro ATX Motherboard 2600MHz (Socket AM3)
$79.99 Asus - Micro ATX Motherboard 1200/1066/800/667MHz (Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3)
$84.99 Asus - AMD ATX Motherboard 1066/1333/1600/1800MHz (Socket AM3)
$100 Asus - Micro ATX Motherboard 2600MHz (Socket AM3)

I'm choosing the $84 board here, simply because the other less expensive boards are Micro ATX. They would work fine, but stuff can get a little more crowded and hotter than necessary. Long story short, if we need to save 10 bucks, we can come back to this point and get the cheaper motherboard.

Subtotal, we're at $174 so far.

RAM

For memory Best Buy must be smoking crack. First off for DDR3 memory they only have 22 total choices and most of those are single 4gig sticks. They don't have any 2+2=4Gig kits... which is really probably the way to go in this price range, especially with XP as your OS.

You had listed:
$54 Corsair - 4GB XMS CL 9 DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory (latency 9)

I would point you over to NewEgg for this part.
$47 G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBECO
$55 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) (latency 7)
The motherboard has room for 4 sticks, so you could easily add to this later, but with the uses that you listed, I think you'll be fine w/ 4G.

Since that's not on the Best Buy card, I'll keep that total in another column.
So far we're @ $174 Best Buy + $55 New Egg.

Graphics Card

For the video card in your original list you had a $40 card.
$40 MSI - ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card

I would take some of the money we took back from the CPU and spend it here and move this component up to maybe the ~$100 range. You can tell Best Buy knows where the money is, because they have tons of options for video cards. Generally speaking their ATI cards are priced better so I'll just pick a couple out to give a range.

$100 VisionTek - Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR PCI Express Graphics Card
$120 XFX - ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card

Let's call that a $100 place holder. Really you can look through there and pick any one in that range (ATI or Nvidia) and I think you'll do better than what you originally had in the list. Don't drive yourself nuts on the choices really. There aren't any hidden gems of a deal in there, they are all overpriced but it's on the card so we'll take what we can get.

So now we're up to $274 Best Buy and $55 NewEgg (I'm doing that summary for myself mostly so I don't lose track).

Hard Drive

You had listed:
$65 Western Digital - Caviar GP 1TB Internal Hard Drive (Green)

$50 Seagate - 500GB Internal Hard Drive for Desktops Model: ST3500641AS-RK (I'm picking this one because it's 7200 RPM, saves you $15, and 500GB is still a ton of space. I have no real issues w/ the Caviar green drives, but I'd only really go that way if you're looking to cut down on power or noise. With the low power of this system so far I don't think you have much to worry about.)

That brings us to $324 Best Buy + 55 New Egg. (*edit I had a math error here, found it and saved us 5 bucks)

Power Supply

You listed:
$50 Dynex™ - 400-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply Model: DX-400WPS

I would bump that up a little bit, simply because with the low end power supplies you're better off with a little more juice than you need just to keep them running in the fat part of their range and to keep the fans from screaming too much.

$70 Thermaltake - 500W TR2 ATX Power Supply Model: W0379RU

There are a couple of other ones in between your suggestion and mine, any of them will work so if you need a couple bucks worth of wiggle room you can shake some pennies out of the couch here.

So we're right at $395 Best Buy + 55 New Egg.

Case

You listed:
$80 Thermaltake - Soprano Mid-Tower Case - Black Model: VG7000BWS

Cases are kind of a personal thing. People want what they like, so we'll keep that in there for the dollar value, but I think you should at least consider this other option below.
The main issue I have with the case you selected is that it has only one fan (120mm rear) and no speed control on that fan. It also only has one other location for a fan even if you wanted to add another (optional front fan not included).

$70 Antec - Three Hundred Computer Case Model: 15300
This one is a little less money, more conservative looks. It includes a rear 120mm fan plus a top 140mm fan... both have 3-speed controls so you can limit the noise generated and there are locations for three other optional fans if you wanted to add any later (two front one side). But really with the components we've selected, the two fans should be fine and you'll probably be able to keep them both on low or one med and one low.

With your case there we'd be at $475 Best Buy and $55 New Egg.

Case, Power Supply, Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Graphics, Hard Drive.
Add your two DVD drives, your sound card (if you'd like) and your copy of 64-bit XP and you should be good to go.

With the wiggle room that you have on a couple of items you could try to re-shuffle some stuff if you want to bump one component up or down. The next higher choice of processor is the natural choice to try to go for first. You have about a $35 hop to the next processor and you've got $25 left on the card. So if you were going to try for anything then I would try to take money out of the Case (~10) or Motherboard (~$10) by going with the less expensive options in one or both.

Best of luck with it, be sure you report back with your results so we can see how it came out.
March 2, 2011 4:29:21 AM

The internet is a wonderful place because of forums like these and contributors like you. Thanks so much for your help. This is exactly what I needed and when I successfully finish this first build, I will report back with pictures.

The only thing is that I preferred an Intel processor over amd although it is priced higher. I did not want to compromise on the processor.

Anyway, Do you think the $154 AMD - Black Edition Deneb Phenom™ II X4 Processor 955 is better than or equal to the Intel® - Core™ i5-760 Quad-Core 2.8GHz Processor for $219?

If so then I will go with the AMD processor.

Also, it just occured to me that maybe I can use the old dell dimension 8400 desktop case and just remove everything I am replacing and just put in these new components. What do you think?

thanks
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2011 11:35:05 AM

deanm007 said:

Anyway, Do you think the $154 AMD - Black Edition Deneb Phenom™ II X4 Processor 955 is better than or equal to the Intel® - Core™ i5-760 Quad-Core 2.8GHz Processor for $219?

Definitely not.
Strictly in terms of processors, your initial build was better. But you had listed:

$359 Intel® - Core™ i5-750 Processor and ATX Desktop Motherboard Bundle Model: i5-750-DP55WG-BNDL
$54 Corsair - 4GB XMS CL 9 DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory (latency 9)
$40 MSI - ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card
$65 Western Digital - Caviar GP 1TB Internal Hard Drive (Green)
$50 Dynex™ - 400-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply Model: DX-400WP
$80 Thermaltake - Soprano Mid-Tower Case - Black Model: VG7000BWS

That's $648.
The listed uses (viewing movies, light gaming) aren't very CPU-intensive activities, and I was concerned about how well that video card will do driving dual monitors @ 1280 by 1024. I think you'll notice the difference in those two graphics cards before you'd notice the difference in those two CPU's. So I was offering an alternative build that is a little more balanced between CPU and Graphics spend, but still inside the $500 cap.
You're more familiar with your uses, and expectations than I am, so you may feel like even with the lower graphics card that this would still be an improvement over your current system. So if you would prefer to put more money into the CPU side then your build will work, but I would still advise the following (even if you keep your initial build)

1) Spend that $55 over at NewEgg on memory: The best buy listed in your initial build is pretty slow to begin with, plus it's only a single stick (which is slower compared the same RAM split over two channels). So I think if you can swing the money then you would get a noticeable benefit from this. (takes your initial $648 down to $593)

2) Save the money on that hard drive, go w/ the $50 for 500G 7200 drive listed. No real noteworthy performance difference, just a cost saving measure (total down to $578).

3) Still that $10 you could save if you went w/ Antec 300 case, which I think is better case anyway. Again, this case would run more cool and more quiet, but otherwise no change in PC speed or anything so you could stick with the other case if you like the looks better. (Total @ $568).

I personally wouldn't get that power supply you have selected, but it will work. And I can't find anything better at Best Buy for the same or less money.

So there you have it, two different builds to choose from both in the same rough price range. No real need to stress over it one way or another, I'm sure either one will work well and you'll have fun building it.
m
l
March 11, 2011 12:48:29 PM

Hi Copa, I know its been a while. I've finally decided to buy these as per your suggestion:

$149.99 AMD - Black Edition Deneb Phenom™ II X4 Processor 955
$84.99 Asus - AMD ATX Motherboard 1066/1333/1600/1800MHz (Socket AM3)
$50 Seagate - 500GB Internal Hard Drive for Desktops Model: ST3500641AS-RK
$70 Thermaltake - 500W TR2 ATX Power Supply Model: W0379RU

I am going to try and use my current dell case.

GRAPHICS

Can I buy this: VisionTek - ATI Radeon HD 5450 512MB DDR PCI Express Graphics Card
Model: 900311 | SKU: 9851088 for 79.99
instead of this: $100 VisionTek - Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR PCI Express Graphics Card

Whats your opinion? Thanks a lot
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 11, 2011 3:17:53 PM

deanm007 said:

GRAPHICS

Can I buy this: VisionTek - ATI Radeon HD 5450 512MB DDR PCI Express Graphics Card
Model: 900311 | SKU: 9851088 for 79.99
instead of this: $100 VisionTek - Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR PCI Express Graphics Card

Whats your opinion? Thanks a lot

That's getting pretty far into the shallow end of the pool.
Do you need to shoot for that $80 range, or are you just looking for something lower than $100? Because almost any of the ones in the middle (say $90) would be better than the 5450 w/ 512MB of RAM.

m
l
March 12, 2011 2:05:54 AM

Best answer selected by deanm007.
m
l
March 12, 2011 2:07:13 AM

Ok if its really that bad, I'll just go for the $100 one. Thanks
m
l
March 15, 2011 3:10:58 AM

Hi Copa,

I wasn't too happy with the power supply at best buy. So i decided to buy it at NewEgg. Will you please recommend a good psu that works well with my mobo and other parts? i prefer the price to be around $50 if possible. Thanks
m
l
March 31, 2011 9:58:20 PM

Hi Copa,

That Asus motherboard you recommended did not work for me. I returned it to best buy. Now I am open to any other good motherboards for my purpose under $100. I can but it anywhere. Will you please recommend a good mobo? thanks a lot.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 31, 2011 11:46:08 PM

We were sort of back and forth between a couple of options.
What did you end up getting (CPU, Memory, etc)
m
l
April 1, 2011 4:12:40 AM

Hi

I ended up getting these:

cpu: amd phenom II x4 955
mobo: Asus m4a77td
memory: Corsair xms3 - ddr3 2x2gb cas latency 9
gpu: visiontek ati radeon hd 5550 1 gb memory
hd: 500 gb seagate 7200 rpm
psu: Ultra LSP 450 - 450 watt
optical: dvd drive and dvd r/rw drive

The mobo appeared to have a bad fan controller or something as the fan was always spinning at 4800 rpm. So i returned that to bestbuy as defective. Asus also gave me a very very hard time with very poor support. Please recommend a board other than asus..

thanks so much
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2011 5:34:56 AM

Looks good, and the price is certainly nice.
You can't add a second video card in Crossfire mode w/ that motherboard, but I don't think you were planning on doing that anyway so no great loss there.

m
l
April 5, 2011 6:13:03 PM

Ok thanks
m
l
!